So why a FIBERGLASS camper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: in the market
Virginia
So why a FIBERGLASS camper?

I'm looking around for my first camper. Something small, no more than 20'.

I've noticed the fiberglass campers. What is the advantage over a regular camper?
What made YOU go with a fiberglass camper?
trx680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: in the market
Virginia
so with a fiberglass camper there is no wood in the walls/ceiling?

What about the floors?

Are there and fiberglass campers that you would recommend staying away from?
trx680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
In molded FG bodies you have no seams between the walls and between the wall and roof. That cuts out a large chunk of eventual-leak real estate. You do still have window and door and vent openings to maintain, and you still can have a plumbing leak. The floor can be ruined if a leak is left unchecked for long enough.

But in a regular trailer, a leak from a seam or other perforation can cause mold to grow inside the wall, or cause delamination if it's of that type construction. This is way too common an occurrence in RVs. But in a FGRV, the FG shell has no way to rot or delam. And mold is much less likely (unless you leave the trailer closed up tight in a humid environment), plus you'd see it and could easily get to it to clean it (bleach, etc).

I can't think of a brand I'd 'stay away from' (well, maybe Trillium) although some are built better than others. Best ones include Oliver, Bigfoot, and Escape Trailer Industries (in BC Canada).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Resale is far superior with fiberglass as compared with stick built trailers. Show me a 40 year old stick built, I’ll show you an RV Museum. Show me a 40 year old fiberglass trailer and I’ll show you 25 more, it’s called a fiberglass rally.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
So why a FIBERGLASS camper?

Light weight. Tows with a vehicle I already have. Low maintenance. Fits in small spots. Snug in wind and rain. Clever use of space. Lasts for decades. Holds its value. And just so doggone cute!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Value.

Value. Many fourty year old fiberglass RVs are today selling for what they did new, while many fourty year old stick built RVs are out in the woods being used as hunting shacks.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You have to adjust for inflation. I believe someone posted a new Trillium cost about $2400 back in 1972. According to one online inflation calculator (based on CPI), that’s $15K in today’s dollars. An unrestored Trillium in good condition sells for $8-10K, so that’s roughly 60% retained value in 47 years.

Not exactly investment grade, but that does not include the 47 years of memories it has given to several families. No stock portfolio can do that!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #8

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
You get to hang around with the eccentrics at the Fiberglass rallys. Priceless!
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
What everybody said here. If you are looking for small, you would be foolish to not buy fiberglass.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #10

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
We started at the local RV dealer looking at stick built. My Nissan tows #3500 and searching for best TT under that weight Fiberglass came up. Normally we over research everything this time we took a leap when we found an EggCamper 6 hours away.

It is easy to tow plus the durability and fewer places to leak is a big plus for Florida. In addition - EggCamper is taller inside and wider. My husband is 6'2" and has a gait impairment and this unit has improved accessibility for us.

Good' luck on your TT search.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
do note, the sizes are measured differently. fiberglass trailers generally give their overall hitch to bumper length, while 'stickies' specify the box length. there's typically about 4' difference in the numbers. my Escape 21 has about a 17' long 'box'.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
do note, the sizes are measured differently. fiberglass trailers generally give their overall hitch to bumper length, while 'stickies' specify the box length. there's typically about 4' difference in the numbers. my Escape 21 has about a 17' long 'box'.
You mean, a 17' long Canada Goose egg?
Old 09-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All brands of all-molded-towables need maintenance. But I can honestly say I've never heard of THIS happening to one. I grabbed this from a group I belong to on Facebook and deleted all the 'guilty party' info.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #14

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Even with good maintenance, I've never had a stick built trailer not leak. Our Casita does not leak.....simple as that. The other plus of fiberglass.....you will be the coolest camper in the park....unless another fiberglass trailer pulls in. People will ask you about your trailer....some will want to look inside....I guess that can be a drawback if you don't like people.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
Even with good maintenance, I've never had a stick built trailer not leak. Our Casita does not leak.....simple as that. ..
Its so true.. a molded fiberglass trailer will never leak.

Unless you put a hole in it for a door, window, roof vent, etc.

And when it does leak, the water can travel under the wall covering and end up very from from the source of the leak, making it darn hard to find the problem. Ask me how I know (hint).

There are many advantages to be had with a molded fiberglass camper compared to "stickies" but there are a few disadvantages also, so dont get lulled into false expectations.

Smaller size is one issue.. so be sure and check out as many as you can. A low roof or small bed might be OK for you, or it might not.

And there are some problems which seem to crop up with some regularity and are more or less unique to some models, such as the water logged Scamp doors.

For the long run, a good MOLDED fiberglass camper is the best option most of the time. Just know that they are not perfect and be prepared to deal with some problems, even if they are fewer in number compared to other types of campers.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #16

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Over all the Fiberglass trailers have fewer water related issues. When it comes to travel trailers you have three camps. The Fiberglass group which are generally small campers 13' and 16/17' up to 21'. Then there are the Airstream/Silver Aluminum trailers ranging from 16 to 34', excluding some of the park models that can push 45' in length. Or as I see it same level of fanaticism at twice the cost. The 3rd group is the stick built that use pine framing with aluminum or fiberglass outer skins, easily recognizable by the 90 degree wall/ceiling angles.

From a value stand point the Fiberglass trailers probably hold their values better then all others if properly maintained. A 40 year old Airstream will typically need to be completely renovated due to water incursion were as a stick built will have ended up in the scrap heap or is a "hunters special". While a Fiberglass camper that has been maintained will not be much different that a brand new one.

In case you are wondering I have owned a number of campers and currently have an Airstream Agosy and a Boler 1700, both are basket cases that I am bringing back from the dead.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Fiberglass is a synonim for quality.
I lost my last trailer in a hail storm, total write-off.
I've been through similar hail with my fiberglass unit. Lights and roof covers destroyed but zero body damage.
That's why I like fiberglass!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #18

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Frye View Post
Over all the Fiberglass trailers have fewer water related issues. When it comes to travel trailers you have three camps. The Fiberglass group which are generally small campers 13' and 16/17' up to 21'. Then there are the Airstream/Silver Aluminum trailers ranging from 16 to 34', excluding some of the park models that can push 45' in length. Or as I see it same level of fanaticism at twice the cost. The 3rd group is the stick built that use pine framing with aluminum or fiberglass outer skins, easily recognizable by the 90 degree wall/ceiling angles.

From a value stand point the Fiberglass trailers probably hold their values better then all others if properly maintained. A 40 year old Airstream will typically need to be completely renovated due to water incursion were as a stick built will have ended up in the scrap heap or is a "hunters special". While a Fiberglass camper that has been maintained will not be much different that a brand new one.

In case you are wondering I have owned a number of campers and currently have an Airstream Agosy and a Boler 1700, both are basket cases that I am bringing back from the dead.
Some travel trailers are aluminum framed nowadays, too. So the 'bones' won't rot or mold when the rest does.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #19

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
All brands of all-molded-towables need maintenance. But I can honestly say I've never heard of THIS happening to one. I grabbed this from a group I belong to on Facebook and deleted all the 'guilty party' info.
A roll of duct tape will fix that right up......
Old 09-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #20

Name: Harry
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
View a 2013 Parkliner 15 in Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx680 View Post
I'm looking around for my first camper. Something small, no more than 20'.

I've noticed the fiberglass campers. What is the advantage over a regular camper?
What made YOU go with a fiberglass camper?
I see you are in Virginia. If you are close to Orange, you can come by to see ours. We can discuss the in's and out's of FG if you decide to come. PM me to set up a visit. I am not in the selling mode, just offering you a look-see.

Small size but roomy interior and ease of towing with low weight were the main selling points to me. One look inside sold my wife.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5832.jpg  
hp in va is offline   Reply With Quote