Sold my huge rig.. FG tough enough for Off Road 4x4 and stored outside? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #29

Name: Linda
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
California
Registry
How about a Uhaul?

Hi,
We just finished fixing up our Uhaul CT13, which has a sturdier undercarriage, I believe, than other brands because it was manufactured originally as a rental. It's set up for dry camping with solar, etc., and we have a V8 4Runner to pull it up the dirt roads. We're just set to leave, so we'll let you know how it goes. It sounds like you like to camp the way we do. We're going to the Owyhee wilderness in Oregon first.

We might have to sell our rig after this trip because we need to buy a Lazy Daze motorhome to take my 90-year-old father camping. Our current setup is great for one or two people, but not more.
Attached Thumbnails
exterior.jpg   GOPR0450-2.jpg  

GOPR0450-4.jpg   GOPR0450-7.jpg  

Old 09-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #30

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Yep, if I couldn't get into remote places on public land down dirt roads in my camper...well, I'd just go down them without my camper...but of course I bring the trailer out there.

I think it's partly the way rebar described the roads and the kind of driving he'll do that brought up all the cautious talk.

Responsible, slow driving down dirt roads with campers is definitely THE use for most people in my area. They aren't doing pavement to RV parks. They're using them as hunting base camp and atv base camp etc.

They actually did build a very limited number of 4x4 Sunraders. But yeah, while motorhomes are great for certain kinds of traveling, they aren't any good for other kinds. It got old to always have to haul camp with me wherever I went. Including downtown San Francisco...though I wouldn't trade that experience

Nice looking property!

Any shorter length fiberglass (or other) trailer should work fine. A lot of the non-molded fiberglass ones come with a pretty high stance already. A 2-4" lift on any of the 13-17' molded fiberglass trailers would make it a pretty capable trailer. I love the look and stance of the new RPods, especially the ones with a slide out. I can just imagine my Bigfoot with a slide-out...man that'd be nice! But from what I hear, the RPods just don't hold up, even with normal use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	90_4x4_sunrader_001.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	111525

Old 09-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #31

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
...Any shorter length fiberglass (or other) trailer should work fine. A lot of the non-molded fiberglass ones come with a pretty high stance already. A 2-4" lift on any of the 13-17' molded fiberglass trailers would make it a pretty capable trailer...
My "lifted" Escape 15B is short enough and high enough that it would work well for mild off-road ventures. May need beefier tires than what are currently on it though.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #32

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 (on order) & 2017 Jeep GC 5.7 (Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
My "lifted" Escape 15B is short enough and high enough that it would work well for mild off-road ventures. May need beefier tires than what are currently on it though.
Dave,

Very nice. Just to be clear here, are you offering your trailer out as a "loaner"?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Dave,

Very nice. Just to be clear here, are you offering your trailer out as a "loaner"?
LOL. My intent was not to give the impression that it was for sale, rent, or for loan. Just wanted to show that the 15B could be suitable for accessing some hard to get to sites. This trailer is strictly for the enjoyment of my family and I.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sold