Sold my huge rig.. FG tough enough for Off Road 4x4 and stored outside? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
rebar,

1998 was a transition year for Cummins. Be careful if it's a 24 valve. Lift pump failures take out the injection pump too. (VP44). Some 1998s were still the 12 valve model.

Have fun building your trailer.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #22

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
If you are willing to do some build out on your own of "Your" perfect Off-Road fiberglass trailer I suggest you contact T A Pelsue Company in Englewood Colorado and inquire about one of their commercial fiberglass utility trailers. These folks ARE the biggest in this particular utility segment of the commercial truck up-fitter and commercial trailer industry.

Pelsue manufacturer's small commercial fiberglass egg trailers for utility companies and telecommunications companies all over the USA. Their trailers are built to have a 20 year service life in commercial application. You have seen their fiberglass trailers all over the USA when utility work is needed.

I spoke with Brad Pelsue at the NATDA (North American Trailer Dealers Association) convention last year about offering a camper version of one of their fiberglass trailers. This is a segment of the market they have considered given their location in Colorado.

These trailers are built TOUGH and could be configured relatively easily to a "Off-Road" type of fiberglass egg camper. Probably no something that those who want a Casita, Scamp or Bigfoot might consider however any "Expedition" type of camper where Off-Road excursions are their focus the Pelsue trailer might just be the ticket!

Take a look at www.Pelsue.com
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #23

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
here's one.....

there are quite a few BFs in the town I live in....see them in sideyards all the time....but this one takes the cake as far as height is concerned.....LOL...
Attached Thumbnails
2weird4.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Featherlite
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
there are quite a few BFs in the town I live in....see them in sideyards all the time....but this one takes the cake as far as height is concerned.....LOL...
Now THATS what Im talking about!
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #25

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I have the "standard" modification to my Bigfoot, which is the straight axle. It came with the 4" drop axle and I switched to a straight axle. Any more lift than that would be too much.

I take my camper down roads in southern Utah, which beat any typical dirt road in Montana, and I've decided that any road which would require more clearance is a road I shouldn't be taking my trailer down.

But on those roads, I'm going SLOW. So yeah, some scraping of the bumper and black/grey water drain valves. Not a big deal in sand. Slickrock...would be a different deal. I guess you just need to expect some damage. I'm not building skid plates for my trailer.

Washboard kills everything. Vehicle included. If you want to rally down washboard roads, you just need to expect to break things. I have friends who have towed a Nash trailer all over the US, and live at the southern tip of Baja in the winter. They haul (by which I mean drive fast ) down rough roads. And have had their frame welded multiple times...But as far as I know their camper has help up otherwise. I personally think molded fiberglass campers would hold up a bit better than the average stick built.

But nothing is built to stand up to washboard. It just rattles everything apart.

I also traveled all over the intermountain west and southwest in a 2wd 1978 Toyota Chinook. Traveling in a motorhome lets you know what dirt roads are like inside the trailer. Driving dirt roads in that camper, with the "camper" area just a foot behind my head, made me realize what washboard and rough roads are doing to your camper as you drive down them. My drive into Chaco Canyon, on it's washboard, was a long, slow drive. I couldn't go more than 15 mph without feeling like the camper was going to disintegrate...And driving down roads with huge dips or up over slick rock outcroppings and hearing the fiberglass crack and creak...I carry that feeling with me when I'm puling my trailer down rough roads.

Anyway. Huge difference between "4x4" roads and "dirt" roads, or washboard roads. Dirt and washboard don't necessarily require 4wd or clearance. But they may well rattle you apart.

Actual 4x4 roads which require clearance and/or 4wd are a totally different deal. I don't enjoy bringing my camper very far down those roads (or rough, washboard roads for that matter. I drive them every day and the thought of bringing my trailer down any of them brings a lot of anxiety into my life...). At that point, for me, it's time to either leave the camper at home, or park it somewhere and car camp along the 4x4 road, then pick the trailer back up later.

If you want a camper that works for those kinds of roads...find a used (rare) 4x4 Toyota Sunrader, or find an old Chinook motorhome and transplant it onto a 4x4 truck body.

In my opinion rallying down dirt roads with any kind of trailer = "no thanks". Not safe, not smart, not fun.

In the end do what you want, obviously. Buy something knowing you're using it in a way it wasn't intended, and beat it to death. I live and work in an area that is rough on things. If you want to use things in a certain way, you just expect to be replacing them fairly often. Your budget and attachment to things will determine what type of stuff you're willing to destroy.

In the end, any kind of camper will suit your needs. Depending on the type you get, it might need a little lift or something. But it'll all start showing it's use/age real fast.

If you're just talking about somewhat gently hauling a trailer down typical Forest Service roads, you can ignore most of that. Any old trailer will do, maybe with a little lift. The shorter the better.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
I agree with everything you have to say, Zach. I would add...if you want to really get on some "rustic" roads as you've described, get a 4wd pickup with a truck camper. TT's just aren't designed for that.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandCallie View Post
I agree with everything you have to say, Zach. I would add...if you want to really get on some "rustic" roads as you've described, get a 4wd pickup with a truck camper. TT's just aren't designed for that.
Going out and exploring "rustic" roads is what it's all about. My trailer is no highway queen and I like camping miles out into the forest or desert.

I'm willing to take mine wherever my Ram will tow it, and that won't damage it.

When on a trip and exploring, what's the hurry? Idling along in low and picking my way through the rocks and holes is perfectly fine. Washboard is damaging if going the wrong speed, running the wrong tire pressure or picking the wrong path. All avoidable.

Once there, at some high elevation in the forest and miles from anyone, or way out in the desert at a hot springs, or at the end of a 4X4 trail and exploring old relics, it's all worth it. But we're not always that far off the beaten path.

I gave up on a truck camper with all of it's limitations. Setting up camp with a trailer and then being able to go exploring is the best for us. We recently spent three nights at a KOA (very civilized) and were able to go out to dinner in town and explore the general area without lugging the trailer along, and then come "home" for the evening. Meanwhile it was raining off and on, and the trailer was perfect.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:43 AM   #28

Trailer: Featherlite
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post

If you want a camper that works for 4x4 roads...find a used (rare) 4x4 Toyota Sunrader, or find an old Chinook motorhome and transplant it onto a 4x4 truck body.
If you're just talking about somewhat gently hauling a trailer down typical Forest Service roads, you can ignore most of that. Any old trailer will do, maybe with a little lift. The shorter the better.
Really great write up ZachO. I agree with everything.

Its to bad the Sunrader or Chinook dont come 4x4.. The E350 base could be (expensive kit) converted to 4x4 though.
But Im with Raspy when he says he wants to be able to leave his "Trailer" at the base camp site.. So I will steer clear of the truck bed campers and motor homes.

Im still thinking I need to build a trailer designed to be beat, and with enough clearance for the last few washout gullies or pot holes to make it to that secluded spot which in many cases is close to a dirt road, but just around that out cropping of rock or trees. Just enough to get you away from others.. Its usually the last 50' of trail that scares me..

On another note.. Iv been searching for used tow vehicles and trailers but found my bug out property and the owner accepted my offer!! It needs septic and I will be adding a RV dump. Its so quiet and beautiful out there with a view to die for.. It doesn't look like much, but its all mine, almost.. The property is big enough for any rig, but I still want a small off road.

Property
Attached Thumbnails
bugout.jpg  
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #29

Name: Linda
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
California
Registry
How about a Uhaul?

Hi,
We just finished fixing up our Uhaul CT13, which has a sturdier undercarriage, I believe, than other brands because it was manufactured originally as a rental. It's set up for dry camping with solar, etc., and we have a V8 4Runner to pull it up the dirt roads. We're just set to leave, so we'll let you know how it goes. It sounds like you like to camp the way we do. We're going to the Owyhee wilderness in Oregon first.

We might have to sell our rig after this trip because we need to buy a Lazy Daze motorhome to take my 90-year-old father camping. Our current setup is great for one or two people, but not more.
Attached Thumbnails
exterior.jpg   GOPR0450-2.jpg  

GOPR0450-4.jpg   GOPR0450-7.jpg  

Lindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #30

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yep, if I couldn't get into remote places on public land down dirt roads in my camper...well, I'd just go down them without my camper...but of course I bring the trailer out there.

I think it's partly the way rebar described the roads and the kind of driving he'll do that brought up all the cautious talk.

Responsible, slow driving down dirt roads with campers is definitely THE use for most people in my area. They aren't doing pavement to RV parks. They're using them as hunting base camp and atv base camp etc.

They actually did build a very limited number of 4x4 Sunraders. But yeah, while motorhomes are great for certain kinds of traveling, they aren't any good for other kinds. It got old to always have to haul camp with me wherever I went. Including downtown San Francisco...though I wouldn't trade that experience

Nice looking property!

Any shorter length fiberglass (or other) trailer should work fine. A lot of the non-molded fiberglass ones come with a pretty high stance already. A 2-4" lift on any of the 13-17' molded fiberglass trailers would make it a pretty capable trailer. I love the look and stance of the new RPods, especially the ones with a slide out. I can just imagine my Bigfoot with a slide-out...man that'd be nice! But from what I hear, the RPods just don't hold up, even with normal use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	90_4x4_sunrader_001.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	111525
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #31

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
...Any shorter length fiberglass (or other) trailer should work fine. A lot of the non-molded fiberglass ones come with a pretty high stance already. A 2-4" lift on any of the 13-17' molded fiberglass trailers would make it a pretty capable trailer...
My "lifted" Escape 15B is short enough and high enough that it would work well for mild off-road ventures. May need beefier tires than what are currently on it though.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
My "lifted" Escape 15B is short enough and high enough that it would work well for mild off-road ventures. May need beefier tires than what are currently on it though.
Dave,

Very nice. Just to be clear here, are you offering your trailer out as a "loaner"?

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Dave,

Very nice. Just to be clear here, are you offering your trailer out as a "loaner"?
LOL. My intent was not to give the impression that it was for sale, rent, or for loan. Just wanted to show that the 15B could be suitable for accessing some hard to get to sites. This trailer is strictly for the enjoyment of my family and I.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sold