Sooo, funny story... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
NOT "overkill"; you have a GENEROUS safety margin. Now, if you're new to RVing, find & attend an RV BOOT CAMP. At RVBC you, along with ~ 200 other "newbies", will have all of the systems found on a modern RV explained & demystified. Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. The Escapees RV Club run an EXCELLENT RVBC, often over a weekend. RVSEF, FMCA, RV~Dreams (and I suspect others) also run their own versions of RVBC, some as long as eight days (more social activities). RVBC graduates are smarter RTV buyers and safer RVers. Some insurance companies give discounts to RVBC grads. Just DO IT! You can thank me later. Wishing you safe and fun travels!
Regards,
John
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #22

Name: Jasmine
Trailer: Burro / Fiber Stream
California
Welcome to the group! You are going to love it! We live in Norcal if you are ever in the area.
Goldiejazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #23

Name: Jane
Trailer: Casita 17' 2008 SD
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
Hell, I tow a 17' Casita SD with an F-250. Hahaha! It's what we have.
Lord Lord... now THAT is overkill! Whadda ya get for gas mileage with that monster when you’re pulling your 17’ SD?
ellen95616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #24

Name: Maria
Trailer: Casita
GA
I think we do pretty good. I'll have to ask and get back to you. The truck doesn't even know it's there.
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #25

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt.P. View Post
So, I'm Brittany, an RN in my mid-30's.

I've always wanted to do travel nursing, so a couple of years ago the BF and I started looking into 'stickies' big enough for 2 adults and a 70 lb dog. I bought a big truck (RAM 2500 4x4) bc we were looking at 25-30 ft long. Well, the BF earned himself the boot (good riddance) and the dog fell unexpectedly ill and passed. Leaving one nurse going nowhere with a big truck and a bunch of vet bills.

Flash forward. New dog eventually, much smaller since I knew I wanted to travel. Started looking into trailers again, stumbled across the molded fiberglass and decided that's what I wanted. Just bought a (used) 21 ft Bigfoot (and am so excited I can hardly see straight).

So I now have a 4-door 3/4 ton truck with an 8 ft bed to tow a single female, a 20 lb dog and a 3600 lb trailer. Overkill or what?
How easy the truck is to maneuver in town depends on the model. If it is a full 4 door with 8 ft bed, tough. If is it a 2 door with a 8'box, that is the same size as a 4 door shortbed. But, in any event, the truck will be superb for pulling a FG trailer. You should be just fine, and if I was 60 years younger I would do just what you are doing. Getting the travel bug out of my system. But here I sit at 80, and still have the bug, but thats' all it will ever be! Good Luck in your travels. Post often so us non-travelers can vicariously live your travel dreams.
Dick Kasnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #26

Name: Wes
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
I have a 21RB too

My Bigfoot 21RB, a 2006 model full with water, both propane tanks full and twin 6 volt batteries, full of food and all our stuff, weighs in over 6000 lbs. consistently.
These rigs have 2/3500 lb. axels with a 7000 gross weight limit so with a 10,000 tow rating you aren’t as much overkill as you think. I tow with a newer F150 with the 5.0 V8 motor and it tows well.
Most people who have tow experience feel that you shouldn’t exceed 80% of your tow rating to keep things safe and to allow for emergency manoeuvres on the road.
Plus if you’re like most people you’ll end up with another 1000lbs in the truck, firewood and furniture, bike, etc. It is easy to load extra stuff once you camp a bit.
As others have mentioned there will be times towing where you realize you really don’t have too much truck.

Wes
wesjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #27

Name: Jane
Trailer: Casita 17' 2008 SD
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesjs View Post
My Bigfoot 21RB, a 2006 model full with water, both propane tanks full and twin 6 volt batteries, full of food and all our stuff, weighs in over 6000 lbs. consistently.
These rigs have 2/3500 lb. axels with a 7000 gross weight limit so with a 10,000 tow rating you aren’t as much overkill as you think. I tow with a newer F150 with the 5.0 V8 motor and it tows well.
Most people who have tow experience feel that you shouldn’t exceed 80% of your tow rating to keep things safe and to allow for emergency manoeuvres on the road.
Plus if you’re like most people you’ll end up with another 1000lbs in the truck, firewood and furniture, bike, etc. It is easy to load extra stuff once you camp a bit.
As others have mentioned there will be times towing where you realize you really don’t have too much truck.

Wes

Ya gotta love it.... Drag Race between F-150 5.0 V=8 and F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...3-5l-ecoboost/

I used to drive Chevy Silvarados with V-8s, but the gas mileage was eating me out of house and home. So I tried the Ford F-150 with the EcoBoost. It's a winner. I regularly get 20 MPG around town and upwards of 22 on the highway. Towing the Casita cuts it down to 15 mpg, but I still can't complain.
ellen95616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #28

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesjs View Post

Wes
These days too, the speeds are getting ridiculous. And if you don't keep up, you are constantly getting passed on secondary roads or on grades.

A full sized truck that can really take command of the trailer, and is heavier than the trailer, is a good thing.

Then the mileage is also a factor as it falls of quickly as the speed goes up.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:20 AM   #29

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Welcome from a retired nurse. I had to leave nursing 3 years earlier than expected due to repeat injuries/chronic pain, but even when able to work had no interest in travel nursing. Had a friend who loved it tho, she was eager to do more. My tow, the carship Enterprise as I call it, is rated 7,500 lbs tow and my 19 ft LilSnoozy, after our first campouts and without totally emptying the fresh water tank, weighs 2,463 lbs. I am glad to have excess capacity in case we ever decide we want something bigger. It can be a good thing.

Now don't forget to post camping resorts, cookery, and funny nursing stories!