Storage of Campers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Storage of Campers

We have a HOA & they just changed the rule for back yard storage of boats & trailers. It can not be seen from the back yard. We are picking up our Lil Snoozy next month. We found 2 places in town. One had is a 20 X 10 with a 9 foot door opening. The other is a warehouse with 20 numbered parking spaces. The warehouse lets you create your own 7 to 10 digit code to open the door. Of course the takes a padlock. Both are $130 a month.
What are others paying? We decided to get the warehouse parking.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Sell the house and move out the HOA. That's what I did.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Too funny. I did the same thing! I would appeal to the HOA to be grandfathered in.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
play their own game. Use a portable garage in your back yard. Once the trailer is inside it is not visible over the fence.

Portable Garage | Canadian Tire
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
The previous answers are worth pursuing. Here, in the high-priced San Francisco Bay Area it is rare to find a reasonably-priced storage facility for trailers and RVs. In our county they charge upwards of $200 for a parking lot-type space! And they have a waiting list! Outrageous!

We found a secure place one hour from our home (generally on our route to go camping) for $50 per month and we have been extremely satisfied. Of course, we'd prefer to have it indoors to prevent the oxidation on the shell, but NOT at $200 per month!

Good luck with your solution and keep us posted.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:27 AM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
In Seattle I had a 20' uncomvered space for $125.00. Fenced with a padlock but not a high security yard with alarms, those would have cost another $50.00.

However there is often another alternative. Not all the neighborhoods around you have HOAs. It is quite possible you can rent space in someone's backyard. A lot of seniors are on a limited budget and your rent could cover one of their utility bills which could make a real difference in their life. Post a notice at the local senior center inquiring about the opportunity. Or ask at a local church if they know someone.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:40 AM   #7

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Amen! HOA's...arrrrrgh
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #8
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
We are fortunate, ours only restricts no 'living' in your parked camper!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #9

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I have covered parking @ $147 a month. Moving to uncovered (will get a cover) for $45 a month.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #10

Name: Almira
Trailer: Casita
Maryland
HOA info

I am on the board of 3 HOA's and the president of the one I reside at. So my advice is to fight the HOA. (Being on the Board was my method for fighting/controlling the dictators... it works.)

First of all it takes almost a 2/3 vote of all owners to change any rules... did they really go through that process? I'd put money on the fact that they didn't!! So if they did, you need to request being grandfathered in. This is very common for all rule changes. Second, continue parking and cover the trailer with whatever they will allow.

I moved out of my townhouse to a single family with a 150 foot long driveway. I have 2 cars, 2 trailers, a pop-up camper and a Casita. And there's room for more...
almira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Thanks folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by almira View Post
I am on the board of 3 HOA's and the president of the one I reside at. So my advice is to fight the HOA. (Being on the Board was my method for fighting/controlling the dictators... it works.)

First of all it takes almost a 2/3 vote of all owners to change any rules... did they really go through that process? I'd put money on the fact that they didn't!! So if they did, you need to request being grandfathered in. This is very common for all rule changes. Second, continue parking and cover the trailer with whatever they will allow.

I moved out of my townhouse to a single family with a 150 foot long driveway. I have 2 cars, 2 trailers, a pop-up camper and a Casita. And there's room for more...
This is great advice thanks.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #12

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
play their own game. Use a portable garage in your back yard. Once the trailer is inside it is not visible over the fence.

Portable Garage | Canadian Tire
r you can buy 20'X10' at Costco but if you get heavy snow then you will need to replace the top every 3-4 years also the pipes do bend after time from snow weight.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #13

Name: david
Trailer: Burro
Florida
My HOA has a storage lot for $25 a month per space and we accept any owners RV if it will fit and not impose on other RVs access in the lot.

As a president of an HOA I suggest you read the deed restrictions/recorded docs of the association to determine how rules like this can be changed then find out if those policies were followed. Also find out if there is built in grandfather rules (although if you have not already had a trailer in the yard that probably wouldn’t apply). You also need to research state statutes regarding HOA procedures. Often HOAs follow their recorded documents to make changes to rules but the procedure they used is in conflict with state laws on the issue. State laws overrule HOA policies when there is a conflict. Often HOAs don’t know this or bother to make sure they are in compliance with state law (or county or other regulations that impact HOA operations)

If you find that to be the case you can make the HOA aware of it. Often though they try to push their improper policy against you if you fight them with retribution or other means that they think they have a right to impose. It can then turn ugly and difficult for you leading to having to involve legal steps, ie lawyers = $$$$$.

It’s a difficult process and a tough decision to fight an HOA. I know, that’s why I became a president, to fight the Nazi mentality in my own HOA. It’s amazing what HOA boards and property managers think they can impose VS what they can legally impose! And the mentality of these associations tend to become very dictatorial and power hungry.

Wishing you good luck!
dave c in florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler
California
I can't offer HOA advice, but if only to make you smile, here's a video clip of my tiny-lot camper storage solution:

https://youtu.be/kr5ErGiyylM
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Alabama
Even though you have to pay to park for the time being, have you considered hedge planting to shield it from view? . There are some that grow tall pretty quickly.
StevenMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post

I agree. When I bought my current house I asked the escrow people probably a dozen times if there was an HOA or any CCRs on the property. Only after being reassured that there were non did sign the papers and bought the house.
I simply will NOT live in an HOA community.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #17

Name: Morgan
New York
Registry
I'm just curious how they define living in? I occasionally go out to ours when I'm having a particularly difficult time sleeping, but have no trouble going to sleep in the Casita.
Morgan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #18
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan A View Post
I'm just curious how they define living in? I occasionally go out to ours when I'm having a particularly difficult time sleeping, but have no trouble going to sleep in the Casita.

Our HOA not 'living' in the camper rule means that if you buy a lot on the lake you cannot put a mobile home or a camper and live in it while your home is being built. It also refers to having company come and they stay in the camper instead of your house. Storage of your camper is fine. My husband sometimes goes in our camper for an afternoon nap because it's quiet! LOL
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #19

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
My solution was to make the garage fit. Luckily I could do this by replacing the doors. Not cheap but worked and now I can park the trailer inside. No HOA- just wind-driven sand and salt spray.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote