T@B to whatever - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #1

Name: Stan
Trailer: 2009 T@B
Colorado
T@B to whatever

Stan in Colorado. My wife and I are looking to upgrade from our 2009 TAB clamshell into a fiberglass trailer. I'm looking to do this once and get it right.

We've done some homework and decided on a Escape 19; but their availability and sliding timelines have me reconsidering. Oliver has a demo that looks pretty attractively priced.

I live in the mountains at 8600', every time the trailer moves, I'm going up or down a windy mountain road. Short term, my tow vehicle is a 2009 Tacoma with a 6spd manual and tow pkg, it's rated at 6500#. Long term, I can replace it with whatever, short term, it isn't depreciated, yet. My T@B has never been plugged in anywhere other than home, we generally boondock camp in obscure pullouts in the National Forest.

We camp with 2 dogs, a Golden and a Newf. Puppy sleeping arrangements are a consideration. For that reason, the twin bed Oliver looks attractive, they're going to sleep between us, anyway.

There is about a $6k difference between the Escape (as I'd equip it) and the Oliver.

What all should I be considering? Anyone else been down this path and made comparisons that I may have missed? Not a chance in hell that I'm getting a 4000# tailer up a mountain in a Taco?
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I assume you are referring to the new Oliver 22'? Have you seen one? It is heavier than the Escape and a little narrower. You tug may have issues at that elevation with the Oliver.
Both are nice vehicles.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Have you checked out ground clearance for the different rigs? As someone who also has also been known to take his trailer in some "interesting" places in Colorado, that would seem to be a prime consideration.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Did you factor in the exchange rate on your $6K difference?
One is new and one is a demo, how do the list prices compare?
What would it cost for you alter the Oliver to the way you would equip it?
The way I see it, you have a trailer now that you can use. Unless you are considering seasonally adjusted selling prices, a wait time to get what you want should factor lightly.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #5

Colorado
I am talking about the new 22' Oliver. Exchange rates vary daily and the demo price hasn't been negotiated, but $6k is my best guess.

The T@B is out for sale on consignment for a few reasons. Escape's build schedule is uncertain, 4 large warm bodies in the T@B isn't working, and it's "sell your RV" season in CO.

I've towed the T@B with a Honda CRV. It wasn't fun and the front wheel default for the AWD was problematic going uphill; but it was doable. I sized the Escape specifically for my Tacoma, it should be fine. Lousy gas mileage and no 75+ going uphill, oh well.

The Oliver is pushing it. The Tacoma is 4wd and a manual. I can pull tree stumps in 4w low. It also has 80k miles on it and is paid for. I'm hoping that towing the Oliver would be slow, but doable. I'm fine buying a bigger truck; but I'd choose to get another 100k from the Tacoma, first.

I have not seen the Oliver, that will involve plane tickets and a long weekend. I'll do that before I drop that much money. I'm just looking for reasons that might make the Oliver a bad option.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
It seems like most folks who have the Escapes and the Oliver's are very happy.
I think someone had priced out a similarly equipped Escape and it came out pretty much the same as an Oliver. Here is a previous thread on the topic

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ape-60023.html

I love the look of the Oliver's but I know some folks prefer the wood interior of the Escape.
Both are great trailers don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

You should know that more people on the forum seem to be familiar with Escapes and have seen them as Oliver only recently started up production again so there are fewer out there.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't believe the Oliver is a "bad option." It really gets down to your budget and desires. For many reasons, I personally wouldn't want to own one. But, that doesn't mean others don't love them. Check out every single picture you can of the interior of the Oliver. Since that's where you "live," you need to want that layout and white interior.

Have you checked out the Oliver Forums yet? Oliver Forums • Index page

Here's 170 pictures of Olivers and owners: https://www.flickr.com/groups/oliver-trailers/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #8

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
They are both good campers. Have you considered Bigfoot? They are a bit roomier inside. Lots of nice examples on the used market also.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #9

Colorado
Pros & cons ... I really need to see an Oliver, but that isn't going to be possible until June.

I'm not sure about the shiny white interior with mirrors. Oliver claims that it feels open and roomy; it seems like an urban bathroom feel to me from the photos. I'm not sure black will eliminate that. I need to see it. On the other side, I camp with my avatar, who is every bit as dainty as she looks. I'm a bit concerned with the vinyl faced foam on the Escape interior. She's not destructive, but she will scratch to go out. Maybe bathroom is better?

The layouts are a toss. Having a standard queen sized matress in the Escape is a big plus. Very easy to upgrade if my wife doesn't like it ... but, I sure wish they'd rotate it 90°. Crawling over each other for the inevitable midnight bathroom run is unappealing. I'm not looking forward to the discussion on whom is the crawler and crawlee. Twin beds in the Oliver are kind nice and very puppy friendly. I'm already used to tripping over them. Comfort is undetermined; but it will be awkward to upgrade.

I'm not terribly concerned with weight or towing. I expect to get 3 or so more years from the Tacoma, I can upgrade it then if need be. I am concerned with length. I commute down a very steep canyon with 3500' rise over 10 miles. It's a national park scary road without the guard rails or maintainance. My neighbors haul 25' Airstreams up it. It's certainly possible; but I don't want to be one of THOSE people, endangering others on the switchbacks. Hard to know how different a 19, 22, and 25 are.

Price matters; but not so much. I want to do it once (more) and get it right. Airstream and Bigfoot are options, but lesser ones, I think. Delivery/production time matters; but only to the extent that it affect 2015 camping season.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
One more thing to consider in your scenario is weight, the Oliver weighs about 1000 more than the Escape, but I would not want to tow either in the scenario you described where you live.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool That bathroom feel

I have found that contact paper is a good tool for covering expanses of white fiberglass. I use some that is near my cabinet doors in appearance when I removed the large table hardware and wanted to cover all the holes. I think it looks nice.

Another factor to consider when towing around switchbacks is the hitch to wheel distance. The longer the distance, the more the trailer will cut inside of the track of the tow vehicle.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don't tell on me... but SIZE doesn't matter It's about layout. I've seen trailers from the 17-22' size that are 'SIMILAR' but different. Chose what you want and need based on layout, not brand, etc. If it's the right trailer, you'll go through several tugs during the trailer's "lifetime."

Best of luck in your decision
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Don't tell on me... but SIZE doesn't matter
That's not what my wife tells me

In my case, weight doesn't matter much. With a 6sp manual and 4W_low, I always have a lower gear. Like you mention, my next truck can be whatever. However, the geometry of the switchbacks is what it is. The distance from the hitch to the axle(s) will dictate turning radius and how far the trailer drifts into the inside of a turn. I've never had any issue with the T@B or a borrowed 17'. My neighbors have serious issues with a 25' Airstream. Perhaps they are just horrible drivers; but I'd rather be on the safe(r), shorter side.

I came home Friday to an email from Escape with an offer that I won't refuse. The Oliver looks really interesting; but the logistics of seeing one are a bit much. I'll be placing a deposit on Monday for a Christmas egg.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 17A
Washington
sturski, you might check this out: 2009 ESCAPE TRAILER - Made in BC, Canada

I've contacted this guy, and he's lowered the price to $22,000 CDN.

John.
John M R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #15
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
John, that escape looks like a good find.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote