Tall people in tiny trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-31-2014, 05:20 PM   #1

Name: Meaghan
Trailer: 1986 Burro (17' wide body)
Illinois
Tall people in tiny trailers

Hello everyone!

My name is Meaghan and my husband and I have started getting serious about finding a travel trailer for our family. We are "real life" friends with jen b from this forum, and I have coveted her 13' Burro from the moment she purchased it. My husband has always argued that these small fiberglass trailers are too small for him. He is 6'4" and has (legitimate, I'll admit) concerns about his comfort in a small trailer.

I have been browsing ads for the longer trailers with queen sized beds, and he's still not entirely convinced. So I'm wondering if any tall people out there would be willing to share any thoughts regarding their comfort (or lack thereof) in any particular brands/styles of molded trailers. I've been eyeballing the 17' version of the Burro, because of my personal experience with jen's Burro, so I'd be interested particularly in that model, but would love to hear about tall people in any kind of tiny trailer.

Thanks!
mmzeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Meaghan (and husband) to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Oh NORM (check in).. you're taller than "husband," I'm thinking you need to (re)describe your travels...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Meaghan,

If you're looking for a tall trailer to match your husband consider the Eggcamper.

LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER

I'm not as tall as your husband at 6'1" but I did live in a 5'10" Casita 16 for a year without any issue. It turns out that it worked because you're rarely walking around.

That said I would buy a tall enough trailer to start (the Casita was loaned to us). Our Scamp 16 is my height but if I was 6'4" I'd consider the EggCamper or possibly an Escape.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #4

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Escapes are are a fantastic quality trailer. Parkliner also has a very tall interior height (6'5" I think).

Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
lil snoozy is tall inside http://lilsnoozyclub-com.webs.com/
Old 08-31-2014, 07:17 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Escapes are are a fantastic quality trailer. Parkliner also has a very tall interior height (6'5" I think).

Kathie
The Escapes only are tall with the Escape 19 and up.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If he kneels in front of you and begs forgiveness for doubting that buying an egg was a good idea, he'll be plenty short enough.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Unless you're looking to move to a 21'-25' all molded towable, about three big steps will move you from the front to back.

There are lots of tall folks who camp (successfuly) in tear drop trailers that are happy and having fun.

Most of us try to spend as much time outside as we can. Our "livingroom" is sky high...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:21 PM   #9

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I have a eggcamper and I'm 6'6" the eggcamper is 6'7" on the interior. So my head does not touch. I love it !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmzeiner View Post
I've been eyeballing the 17' version of the Burro, because of my personal experience with jen's Burro, so I'd be interested particularly in that model, but would love to hear about tall people in any kind of tiny trailer.
I think you've got the right idea with the 17' Burro Wide-body. The problem being that you've got to watch the ads closely, as they don't appear for sale often and when they do they sell really fast. Build quality suffered in the final years of production before the Burro Trailer Company went out-of-business in 2002.

Eggcamper is really an updated version of the Burro design concept, and they're still making trailers.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:30 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
One problem with the "queen beds" in stick built trailers is that the manufacturers shorten the beds! Instead of 60" x 80", they are only about 60" x 75" (give or take an inch).

I believe the Eggcamper is wide enough inside to form a longer-than-queen bed. Add in the generous 6'7" height, and I think your husband might be quite pleased. They are built just outside of Grand Rapids MI.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #12

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I believe the Eggcamper is wide enough inside to form a longer-than-queen bed. Add in the generous 6'7" height, and I think your husband might be quite pleased. They are built just outside of Grand Rapids MI.

Yes the bed is long enough more than long enough. it's not a queen but my wife and I fit just fine.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #13

Name: Lauren
Trailer: '75 Trillium
Colorado
I wrestled with this too. I'm 5'11 and my BF is 6'2. We got a 13' Trillium and the BF can stand up just fine in it as long as he's barefoot. The width of the bed is 6'5 I believe and is not a problem. We love it. Depending on your budget, the EggCamper is super tall but pricey since they are all new in the last couple years. If you're going old-school FGRV, Boler, UHaul and Trillium all have 6'3 interiors from my experience and research. When you're in the camper, I find that you're actually standing up straight infrequently, so I don't think your man will have a rough time in something that's a pinch shorter than he is. Happy Hunting!

Lauren4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Bed length is the prime concern for tall people. Headroom is secondary as you are rarely standing in a trailer, unless you cook inside.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #15

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia

I've got a 17' Escape and I'm 6'1". My head touches the ceiling if I stand upright but I rarely do. Most of the time I either go inside , grab what I need and go out or head for bed. The bed seems large enough for the two of us.

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Bed length is the prime concern for tall people. Headroom is secondary as you are rarely standing in a trailer, unless you cook inside.
This is what I was thinking. I do not have the problem of being over tall myself but figure a good nights sleep can overcome a lot of other issues. Conversely, a miserable nights sleep puts a damper on the whole affair.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #17

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
I am having the same dilemma. I am still in the planning/research stages and my 6'5" height is a concern. I will have to have plenty of room for sleeping and standing up in the trailer, since I do plan on spending extended periods of time living in it.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #18

Name: Meaghan
Trailer: 1986 Burro (17' wide body)
Illinois
Thank you everyone for your input!

I've had my eyes peeled for a couple months and just recently found a 17' Burro about an hour away. We struggled to find a convenient time for my husband and the seller to meet up so my husband could get a feel for the inside dimensions. As mentioned, they don't last long when they are listed, so I went ahead and bought it with the understanding that we'll try it out a few times and if it doesn't work out for us, we can always resell it.

It's a 1986 model so it could use a bit of work and updates. For now, I've given it a deep cleaning and we're going to make sure all the systems work (most recent owner never used the water or propane - they used campground facilities instead), and re-upholster the cushions. And then if we decide to keep it I'll get a bit more in depth with improvements. I absolutely love it (brown interior and all) but my husband isn't sold on it yet. I think he'll come around eventually!
mmzeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Congrats, and do you have any pictures to share?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:50 AM   #20

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
We just got our new (to us) 1999 17' wide body Burro and the bed is 54" wide and 85" long. My husband is 6'6" and this is the only one that we could fine that would fit him and that includes all the new ones out there. We are also having a mattress made to fit for us too. Hope this helps you
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote