Tent camper looking at Scamp's - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-12-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Tent camper looking at Scamp's

Hi all,

I'm a tent camper wrapping his mind around the benefits and fun of a fiber glass RV.

What a great forum, a wealth of information. Thanks to all who share their experiences and insight - extremely helpful to those of us considering FGRV's.

And hey, if you are a full timer (or extended trip) person in a Scamp 13 - would be great to hear your experiences and recommendations.

Thanks
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
This is your lucky day! We have a 16 ft Scamp for sale, and will be driving the NC sometime in Sept to pick up a new trailer. We could bring the Scamp to you if you like.
We started with a used 13 ft Scamp, but decided to go a bit bigger, to get one with a side dinette so we could leave the rear bed made up. For the two of us it has worked well. Have done numerous longer trips. the longest was to Alaska via the Al-Can highway, in 2004, which took 2 1/2 months and 11,000 miles. And we're still friends!
Ours is a 2000 deluxe, with front bath/shower, a new microwave, new fridge, 2 burner stove, 6 gal water heater, cabinets all around, LED lights, dual propane tanks, Screw down stabilizer jacks front and back, and many other improvements. Call me at 563-588-9211 if interested. I can send pictures.
Wayne
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #3

North Carolina
Thanks Wayne, but for now, I am still in research (and some development) mode.

Your trailer sounds great, but maybe a little too much for what I might need.

Safe travels,

Dave
Old 07-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
We also upgraded from tents! Got tired of sleeping on rocks! We studied posts on here before deciding the fiberglass was for us! We loved our little Scamp 13 Standard for many years--a tent that locks for my daughter and her mom to camp when spouses couldn't get off! Perfect! Bought on eBay but was very dirty, stinky from cigs and needed love. --it's what they don't say that's the key problem--but she shined up well and was much loved! But years later we needed More as we aged and now have a 19' Escape. Has a good bathroom for night emergencies and to wash th dog! So essential in small spaces! You may have to travel a couple states over to get her, but she's out there for you! See the For Sale posts and you'll find her!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #5

Name: Patsy
Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Hi all,

I'm a tent camper wrapping his mind around the benefits and fun of a fiber glass RV.

What a great forum, a wealth of information. Thanks to all who share their experiences and insight - extremely helpful to those of us considering FGRV's.

And hey, if you are a full timer (or extended trip) person in a Scamp 13 - would be great to hear your experiences and recommendations.

Thanks
We are selling or our 1996 scamp 13 in excellent condition.lovcatedin Madison, MS
We have put loving care into it and thoroughly enjoyed weekend and multi week trips. It was posted on this site yesterday July 11 at $7500. Check it out.
pmccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #6

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
BBQ Dave the oldtimers on the board recommend attending a rally or two and checking out the varieties of campers IRL.

I wasnt able to do this but in the past few years I checked out some Scamps in KOA's where we stayed in Kamping Kabins. When we went to NC back around Xmas I had found contacts for Parkliner in Nc and lilsnoozy in SC. Speaking as an ultra light backpacker, Parkliner would have done fine, but for the comfort of DH and cats choose lil snoozy.
I can't stress how important it is to view these IRL. Just by reading & web sites I had decided RPods were the answer I was looking for, but as soon as I entered one I real ized it was the wrong choice for me and mine.
So enjoy just looking, tour the 2 factoriess near you- try to get to rally & hope to see you on the road sometime.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:49 PM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Advice

If you just want to get off the ground , check out the Bunk House & Leisure Lite . I've been camping for 66 years & have had 2 Kwik Kamps , 1 Leisure Lite ,1 Kompact Kamp & misc. tents . I now have a 13 Scamp along with my Kompak Kamp which I pull with my Miata . Note: the Scamps tv is a Jeep Compass . The best advice given is again , go to a fg Rv rally and check out their rigs . Keep in mind , gas prices will rise again .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
I could not agree with Mitzi more.

We started out sure we wanted a Casita or Scamp, after research, we ended up placing an order for a new Escape 17B, and once we got inside a 17B, decided that an Escape 19 would be better for us, so we changed our order to the 19. It will be delivered later this month

Pictures are nice, but being inside them is a world of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
BBQ Dave the oldtimers on the board recommend attending a rally or two and checking out the varieties of campers IRL.

I wasnt able to do this but in the past few years I checked out some Scamps in KOA's where we stayed in Kamping Kabins. When we went to NC back around Xmas I had found contacts for Parkliner in Nc and lilsnoozy in SC. Speaking as an ultra light backpacker, Parkliner would have done fine, but for the comfort of DH and cats choose lil snoozy.
I can't stress how important it is to view these IRL. Just by reading & web sites I had decided RPods were the answer I was looking for, but as soon as I entered one I real ized it was the wrong choice for me and mine.
So enjoy just looking, tour the 2 factoriess near you- try to get to rally & hope to see you on the road sometime.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #9

North Carolina
Thanks

Thanks for the great information. I have much to explore and will add attending a FGRV rally to my research list

All of your helpfulness is much appreciated!
Old 07-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Thanks for the great information. I have much to explore and will add attending a FGRV rally to my research list

All of your helpfulness is much appreciated!
Good idea to see one firsthand. We started looking and wanted a Scamp 13. Once inside the first one we saw we quickly changed our thoughts to a Scamp 16.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp