The beginning of "They call me Mellow Yellow" - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-26-2010, 06:52 AM   #15

Name: Doug and Becky
Trailer: Compact Jr
Florida
Registry
Mellow Yellow is too Yellow, it name has been changed to Tweety

I have taken the rear door off and put some Penatrol on the rear of the trailer where I had it real clean. I have used Penatrol on an old boat and it brought the color out and it did the same for Tweety. It is very yellow. It is basic and needs a lot of work, but because it was stored under a shelter it does not have any wood damage and the frame is very good. Next I will pull the windows out and reframe around the windows with oak trim and reseal the the windows.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #16

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
What is the weight of a 16' Compact Jr? The pop-up roof would lower wind drag but add to weight I think. The more square design it seems would add to high speed air resistance. The rear door is a good idea saw the possibilities for this design in the Taylor Coach units he gets a washroom inside his 12’ trailers with a rear door. Our 4 cylinder Corolla has trailer brakes to help stop, progressive trans-axle cooler for long trips, sway bar and Custom made class III hitch with 400/4000 WD system to get the required tongue weight to pull the boler 17' unit. Towing with a Tacoma or 6 cylinder Forester would give a lot more power. Still wonder about the brakes, and cooler but you maybe able to use a class II hitch with maybe a sway bar and and save on cost of wd system.

Attached Thumbnails
Top.jpg  

Old 12-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
I just noticed what appears to be a vertical line running perpendicular to the clamshell construction. Is this simply a small stripe, or is it in fact a seam of some kind? If so, is this typical of a CJr?
Old 12-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Our Compact Jr weighs 1400 lbs. It is 13' from hitch to rear bumper. The body is 10' x 6'. The upper top weighs 67 lbs. Though it's square-ish shaped, the Compact Jr has a 33 sq.ft. frontal area when towed so the power needs to pull it is small for a solid wall trailer. The body is made of a right and left half with vertical seam.

Compact pictures by tomNjo - Photobucket
Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
Red face Corolla Tow Vehicle

Hi Borden,
I'm impressed you tow with a Corolla; do you do much hill climbing? You've got the trailer brakes, tranny cooler, sway bar and hitch, but being able to pull a 17 footer, wow.

Fran
Compact II '74

Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #20

Ontario
Registry
Francene the boler trailer has no wood frame, and is one piece made with curved thin wall fiberglass construction that includes a thicker fiberglass floor of 3/16". If you move the insulation to the side a bit light comes through the wall! Like the light weight canoes. Moulded top and bottom halfs are glued together with a metal band over joint with rivets to help hold it in place. No fiber glassed blocks aluminum clips with rivets hold cupboards in place.
The cupboards are structural and make the sides stiff as such the weight is much lower than normal for a trailer of its size 2500 lbs. This means stock a roof air conditioner is out of the question. The rolling resistance is such that I can move the trailer by myself from the front to back yard; very well balanced.
So really not so impressive
The custom part is the Hitch which is fastened at the back like normal but then the 2”center tube snakes forward under trunk and gas tank to refasten forward to the car.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden
The custom part is the Hitch which is fastened at the back like normal but then the 2”center tube snakes forward under trunk and gas tank to refasten forward to the car.

???
Old 01-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #22

Ontario
Registry
Smile

The Class III 2 inch receiver is needed for Weight-Distributing Hitch. The unit in fact is supposed to distribute the weight to the center of the car when setup correctly. In most cases they fasten on sides at rear and the center 2” receiver ends about 8” forward. In this case the center 2 inch tube continues forward and follows the profile of the underside of car to be reattached. This design is due to the car being unibody reducing stress on the body.

Weight-Distributing Hitch systems are intended for heavy loads if vehicle can handle 200 lb. tongue weight without a WD system on rear then it then can handle 400 tongue weight with WD system when setup correctly; setting the vehicle limit.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #23

Ontario
Registry
Quotes:
Class III hitches can handle up to 5,000 lbs. GTW and 500 lbs. tongue weight. This type of hitch generally has a 2-inch rectangular receiver and is considered the "standard" type of hitch for general towing.
** Weight-Distributing Hitch: This type of hitch is an attachment that slides into the 2-inch receiver to redistribute the weight on the tongue. The hitch usually has two spring bars, one for each side of the trailer, to lift and apply leverage to the tow vehicle. This redistributes weight from the rear axle to the forward and improves vehicle stability while towing.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #24

Ontario
Registry
When I get a chance will have to take a picture of the rig.