... the latest newbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #1

Name: Alfred
Trailer: to be defined
Michigan
... the latest newbie

not only to Fiberglass RV, but also to camping...

So, long story short: This year's vacation I threw a tent into my trunk, along with some other gear and hit the road. From Detroit to Madison, WI to New Ulm, MN to Badlands National Park to Devils Tower, WY along the I-90 corridor and then back the I-80 corridor.

Had lots of fun shooting stuff with my 35-70mm glass. What I didn't like was setting up tent site and tearing it down. But I had the luck of bumping into the meeting in New Ulm on Sep. 5th.

Thank you to everyone who was so kind taking me around and showcasing their trailer to me.

I started shopping for one and am currently favoring either the Air Stream Bambi 16 or the Scamp Standard 16, Layout 6. Since my wallet is putting strong resistance towards the Air Stream, it looks like I am going to order a Scamp next year, unless I learn better - And I hope this is the place to read, ask and learn.

Thank you, especially for "hijacking" me in New Ulm.
alf_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Good choice

If you think you may want a Scamp next year, call them now. They will send you a pack of information with a price and options list. For a small refundable down payment, you can get it ordered. A standard will not take as long but my 2017, 16’ deluxe took about 10 months. Many older units are selling for the same amount as they cost new. Also look into what it takes to pull one. Yes, they are light, but not as light as Scamp says. Plan ahead and enjoy.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
That’s odd.

I just looked at the standard floorplan 6 and find that mine is a cross between 6 and B in my Deluxe. (I added the microwave in the cabinet above the refrigerator.)
I thought that I had the B. I love it when a plan comes together.
Attached Thumbnails
floor_plan_16ftdeluxe_Layout B.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Welcome! hope that you have great time camping. You may want to check on how long the delay is with Scamp. When I ordered one several years ago it was a 7-8 month wait. I wound up buying a rebuild instead. No problem with the refund of the down payment.

Also, I note that there are some for sale, and they are cheapest this time of year. I have noticed a few more Casita's for sale than scamp.

Hope things go well.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #5

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
As this is your first trailer I would look for a good used one. Something 10 years old, it will be cheaper, function the same. And if you end up not liking it you can sell it for what you purchased it for.

Until you start using a trailer it is hard to know what exactly you will like and dislike about it. It could be some features are more important than others.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #6

Name: Alfred
Trailer: to be defined
Michigan
Thank you for the welcome.

Delivery time for a new one is not critical: Next year I have to hop over the pond and will have very little time for camping on this side.

The idea of getting a cheap used one to get first hand experience sounds like good advise. Relaxes delivery times even more.
alf_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #7

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
United States
Registry
Used 2018 Scamp 16 standard layout 6

There is a barely used 2018 Scamp 16 layout 6, minimally optioned, for sale in Wellsboro, PA. I briefly corresponded with the owner before buying one closer to home. She said they barely used it. The price seemed reasonable, given that it was like new.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...ut-6-used-once
St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Since you have some time before purchasing I would suggest you find a gathering near you and go check out the trailers . Fiberglass trailer folk usually enjoy sharing there trailers with those trying to zero in on a purchase . You might find that some other make or floor plan is better suited to you . The difference between looking at a brochure and the real trailer can be huge. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #9

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Ontario
layout 6 is great

I just got my 2001 Scamp 16' a couple of months ago. We have layout 6 as well and love it. There are just 2 of us, so having the small separate dinette means we have a place to eat and play cards, and are able to leave the bed set up the whole time. Tearing down the bed to make it into the dinette every day is a pain, not to mention finding space to store the bedding.
I removed the folding leg from under the big dining table (the bed one at the back) so that we have more storage space underneath. In fact, 2 of those large rectangular under-bed storage containers fit there perfectly...one for each of our clothes.
The PO also cut a piece of 4" foam to fit on top of the banquette cushions so that we have 8" of comfort and no seams. Pure luxury, especially when you add in the electric blanket.
I hope this helps with your layout decision.
Good luck.
Scamper Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #10

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
I just picked up my new 16' Scamp Layout 6 in July and love, love, love it. So light and easy to maneuver and everything I wanted/needed was in it! Have lots of fun with whatever you finally decide on getting!
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote