Thinking about a change! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #1

Name: Lori
Trailer: Teardrop
Maryland
Thinking about a change!

Hi all. I am Lori and I am from Southern Maryland. We camp in a Teardrop. We love and enjoy our Tear. I am getting older (as we all are) and I camp with my handicapped adult daughter. The tear itself isn't a problem once we are in it, but I have to help her through the door (going both in and out) and I need help putting up the tent. I have been looking around to see what is out there. I would want something as small as I can get (a standee) without needing a tent. Weight for my tv is not an issue. I would also be looking for something that is as close to maintenance free as possible (like my tear) and that I am able to handle by myself. I want to know more about the T@B and I am seriously considering the Lil Snoozy! Looking forward to picking your brains on these matters!!!
Lori Geis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Welcome Lori, Sorry I can't help you with either of your brand questions. Only because the Tab is not a moldeded fiberglass trailer so it's not a focus of this forum. Though there is a member that has one. I am sure Melissa will see your post and be able to guide you to where you can find more info on them.

As far as Lil Snoozy, they are apart of the molded glass community and though they are a new brand, we have several member's who have bought one. So lot's of new info on them for you.

So really I just wanted to say, Welcome and to encourage you to keep all egg's in mind as far as ease of use. I travel with a 17ft Casita that I handle alone. It's really very easy to use, so find what type will work for your camping needs and enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
As a satisfied owner of a new 13' Scamp, that is the brand I recommend. You do not mention the disability of your daughter nor your limitations due to age. One consideration should be the ease of getting in and out of the bed(s) and dinette. The 13' Scamp has a bed 45" wide at the back. If two people sleep there, one is next to the wall and must climb over the other to get out (for a middle of the night pottie run). You can select a layout for the 13' Scamp with a bathroom/shower at the front or a couch/bunkbed (with a pull-out Porta-Potty under the bench). We chose minimal maintenance options including an icebox (as opposed to a refrigerator that requires turning on/off and can break down. It's been easy to find a bag or block of ice everywhere we camp) city water spout (we can simply connect an outdoor hose at the campspot) heater (you will really appreciate this on cold nights and mornings). All models have an electrical connection. (You simply plug it in at the campsite, thereby saving on your battery.) By having no bathroom we do not have to deal with black water holding tanks and mechanical failures and cleaning. Every camp spot we have been in has adequate toilets, sinks and showers. Out motto is "Let the campground take care of the mess.") All Scamps have a two-burner propane stovetop which comes in handy in inclement weather, otherwise we cook outdoors with our camp stove. When we camp at a site without water and electricity we are self-contained. Even when we boondock we are self-reliant. The only thing missing is a shower which you can do without for short periods by sponge bathing.

While the 13' layout with the couch/bunkbed at the front is fine for me and my husband I suggest you look at the 16' Scamp layouts. You have several choices here. If you chose Layout 4 you and your daughter could each have a bed (the couch or the dinette area convert to beds) and a side bathroom. If you chose Layout 6 you would have two eating areas that convert to beds and a larger bathroom. Think carefully as to whether you need a bathroom. The Scamp 2-person dinette is easier to get in/out of than the 4-person dinette (which has a step up and a table with beveled corners.
I have seen a few trailers that have twin beds side by side and a dinette and a bathroom, but do not remember the brand names.
I hope my Scamp comments help you in making your decision. Feel free to contact me.
Happy Camping!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Welcome Lori!! Depending on how tall you are as to whether you can stand up fully in the T@b. I'm only 5 ft so with a 5 ft 10 inch ceiling in the kitchen area it's no trouble. My 6 ft hubby however has to bend his neck over, lol. The King bed is amazing allowing either lengthwise sleeping so no crawl overs or side to side sleeping. Of course it has all the amenties with a fridge, sink, stove, porta potti etc. It has both 12 v, 120 and propane.
The T@B tows extremely well with my minivan and has surge brakes which work awesome! The T@B's entrance is probably higher than your little teardrop so dont know if your daughter stepping up onto a step and then into the trailer would be difficult to manage. You definately would not need a tent and the T@b. They come up for sale periodically on ebay and Craigs List just like the Fiberglass Eggs. Also you can join the Yahoo T@b group as ones for sale get listed there too. If you are thinking new then littleguy is now making them as opposed to the orginal manufacturers Dutchmen. If you're not looking for seperate sleeping accomodations (like bunks etc) or want a full time bed and a seperate 2 person dining area then a T@b should meet your needs very well. They are easy to heat too, we only use a small ceramic cube heater even when it was in the 20's in TN over Christmas so they are very well insulated. The pop out awning style windows are awesome as you can leave them open in the rain. They are not making the all aluminum T@Bs any longer, only Fiberglass or a composite material called alufiber. Nice thing is they have 15" wheels.
Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any more questions. Dont want to clutter up a Fiberglass site with T@b talk, lol.

Melissa
Old 04-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #5

Maryland
I'm not REALLY old old, just want to have more conveniences (like not putting up a tent). I actually have 2 handicapped daughters. One goes camping with me now. Her limitations are poor equilibrium mainly. The other daughter had to retire from camping when she was put on full life support. She is now decanulated (off of a vent) and is showing signs of possibly being able to go camping again. There is NO WAY she can go with us in our teardrop! Plus, if she does start camping again I will need plenty of counter space for her monitors, feeding pump, and oxygen. Because I would have to carry oxygen (if the younger one was to camp again) I was not very interested in propane! I think I am leaning towards the Lil Snoozy. I could make the T@B work I think, but I was trying to see if there are any other fiberglass campers that are similar to the Lil Snoozy.
For example: all electric, maximum counter space, porta potty is fine (but need the room to have it in the camper at night), a standee so my daughter can dress in the camper without stumbling around a tent (w/out something solid to hold on to like a countertop), sleeps atleast 2 comfortably but has room for a 3rd little person once in a while, prefer atleast one "bed" at the ready all the time with the table at the ready too (doesn't have to have a formal table cuz we can use trays and such). Tall order huh? lol
Old 04-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #6

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Alan Smoak (owner of Lil Snoozy) is very open to changes. Maybe he could help you come up with exactly what you need.

I've seen posts from another Virginia resident here with a new Lil Snoozy. You might be able to see one without driving all the way to SC.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Lori,
I just suggest this, although you may have already done so. If you look up "camping with disabilities" (or handicaps) on the Internet you will find many references to specialized clubs as well as helpful tips. I wish you the best in finding the best camping solution for you and your daughters. 'Looking forward to seeing you all on the road!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #8

Lori, Personally for what you describe. I would recommend a EggCamper. The most room in a "glass" trailer that I have seen unless you were into a Bigfoot.

Forum Member Orlen Wolf and his wife have one and one time there was 5 of us plus Radar their fur baby in the EggCamper and still room to breath! Wouldn't happen in most other glass. Or should I say not as comfortable! I will find you a link and post it.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #9

Here is a link, http://http://www.eggcamper.com/

Again, the most interior space I have seen, both width and height. And all electric. Personally, in MHO it's very basic but well thought out.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You might look at Scamp 16 ft. floor plan 6 or 7.
Scamp Travel Trailers: 16 Foot Floor Plans

Both have sleeping for three without using top bunk because they have side table/small bed.
#6 has bath so is less open and you have 2 people in the big bed. In #7 and most people would slide a porta pottie under the front sofa if they wanted midnight facilities. Our kids are all grown so we use the front bunks as storage shelf for suitcases etc. You might put oxygen and other required equipment there.

Kids are always extra work when camping (or at least ours were), but it built so many fond memories. My hats off to you for taking on the additional challenges to give your kids that opportunity.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #11

Maryland
Thanks RogerDat and all for the warm welcome and the time you have taken for thought of something that would be right for my family!

As far as maintenance/upkeep goes on the Fiberglass campers, how much upkeep/maintenance do they require? When I had a 25 ft camper there seemed to be a LOT of upkeep. When I go camping with my friends with their larger travel trailers it seems every trip involves the guys working on one thing or another. In my teardrop I have NEVER had anything go wrong (although there is a limited amt. of things that can go wrong cuz mechanically speaking there isn't a lot of things period). The best of both worlds would be a larger camper that is basically maintenance free (like my teardrop has proven to be). So upkeep/maintenance on the Fiberglass is what? Waxing once a year? But what about the other stuff like plumbing problems, electrical problems, leaks, stove issues, etc...?

What do you all think about camping with a tank of oxygen in a camper that has propane?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #12

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We're the owners of an Egg Camper. It has plenty of room. There is only sleeping space for three people. Space for one is on the dinette but it is very narrow. Possibly 24 inches. If that would not be an issue, then maybe give them a look. They are a bit wider inside with more open floor space. Check the website if that sounds interesting.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Geis View Post
Thanks RogerDat and all for the warm welcome and the time you have taken for thought of something that would be right for my family!

As far as maintenance/upkeep goes on the Fiberglass campers, .... .... So upkeep/maintenance on the Fiberglass is what? Waxing once a year? But what about the other stuff like plumbing problems, electrical problems, leaks, stove issues, etc...?

What do you all think about camping with a tank of oxygen in a camper that has propane?
I would not be concerned about oxygen in a camper with propane. Oxygen "aids" combustion does not trigger it or in fact burn itself. I'm guessing if you had a tank of O2 left open that filled the trailer a pilot light would get bigger or if you lit the stove the flame would be much bigger than expected BUT the stove burner is only providing a limited amount of fuel.

You might want to use one of those little square ceramic heaters rather than a propane furnace. That is enough to keep your egg toasty. Also some AC units have an electric heater built in.

The more you have the more can break or need maint. A shower and flush toilet vs a porta pottie. A fridge vs an ice box or new fridge vs old fridge. You have to weigh the use or value of the feature to you against what it takes or costs to keep that feature available.

If I lived in Colo. I would find it worth maint. costs to have trailer brakes, here in Mich. not so much. If my 34 year old fridge died, I would put in a $45 ice box because I have used coolers for so long I really don't need the fridge.

But most of it is annual, as you said, you wax in the spring, flush out the water system, check the lights etc. to get ready. Then in the fall drain the water system (RV anti-freeze if you have a pump) and put it to bed for winter.

Keep it long enough and things like window seals, screens, snap caps that seal the rivets and the like will need some attention. In the document section of the forum there is a list of things to check when buying a FG camper. Might provide some idea of what breaks or can need maint. If it can leak it probably needs attention eventually.

Guys are always working on the camper while camping... it's when we have the time to "play" with our toy, and our wives are OK with us wasting the time. Brother in law was always adjusting and dinking with his electric jack stand on the tungue, I never did with my manual crank.... I got to the wine coolers first!
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Hi Lori. The more stuff you have in a trailer, the more there is to potentially need upkeep. Take the fridge, for example. Nearly all trailer mfrs install a Norcold or a Dometic, so the average frequency of refrigerator repairs will be the same with nearly any trailer. But the fiberglass trailers have the advantage of not having a bunch of roof and corner seams that could leak, so you benefit there. And if a mfr has a good reputation for quality assembly of the components (plumbing, electrical, cabinetry, etc.) you benefit from that; and all the FG egg makers have a good reputation overall for assembly (keeping in mind that nobody's perfect).

Eggcamper and Lil Snoozy are both excellent quality trailers. Parkliner is another new one that might work for you. Plenty of choices. Pick the layout you prefer and go for it!
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #15

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
I've seen posts from another Virginia resident here with a new Lil Snoozy. You might be able to see one without driving all the way to SC.
I gave Lori a call.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #16

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Hi Lori: We recently purchased a Rockwood Hardside A frame. We found it is very easy to pull and put up. It is similar to an Aliner, but has more standard features, and is about $5,000 cheaper. We looked at the Snoozy also and liked it very much, but could not afford it at this time. We feel that we made a very good choice with our Aframe.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Lil snoozy

I vote for a lil snoozy for you. There is a queen size bed that is always a bed ( though one person has to move for the other to get out). There is a couch that folds down for another bed.

The refrigerator is very simple to replace if it ever breaks. There is a microwave that you can you to cook in bad weather. There is much more free space inside to move around. you can heat with a little ceramic heater, easy to replace if it breaks. There is a shower, or just use the facilities in the parks you camp in.

Sounds like boon docking wouldn't work for you. You can plug into shore power for electrical needs, like air conditioner, heater, refrigerator and microwave.

I like the ease of use of the cassette toilet.

Alan and Nicholas can help you with modifications.

Come visit me in Williamsburg Virginia and see for yourself a lil snoozy. I like the way the snoozy tows. I don't think there will be as much maintenance on a fiberglass trailer as other trailers. I had an rpod, great looking trailer, felt very flimsy.

Ruth

Ruth
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #18

Maryland
Well I drove to Virginia today. I got the opportunity to see the Lil Snoozy! I met one of the members on this forum (what a nice and comfortable person to be around)! She had the patience for me to dig around. I like what I saw! I liked her extra cuz she tried to knock my husband in the head (and anyone that wants to do that to him is my kind of person)!!!

I was expecting the Lil Snoozy to be bigger on the outside (even though I knew the measurements). At the same time the inside seemed too big for the outside (even though I was actually in it)! Weird thing is... I think it might be too much room for us for the majority of the camping trips with just my daughter and me!!! There is a couch (as you all probably know). If you took the section with the couch out (the whole middle section) I think you'd still still be longer than the T@B.

I also saw my first ever Casita (in person) today. It was an older camper. I don't think I could stand up erect in it (even though I am only 5'5"-5'6")! It was locked up in a parking lot so I couldn't see in or try to stand in it. I realize the Casita's I saw online were taller, but this one was amazingly short! It was like "a little play house for a kids" height! It was so short even my daughter realized I wouldn't be able to stand straight in it! It was simply adorable! I felt a little intimidated/scared by the rivets on the outside of the Casita, but I wasn't at all intimidated by the fiberglass on the Lil Snoozy (probably because of the lack of rivets, plus the seam around the middle on the Lil Snoozy is covered with a rubber type strip that made me feel way more protected from water!

One thing that everyone that I have talked to (about the Lil Snoozy) agrees about is the Lil Snoozy's builders are willing to bend over backwards to try and help you get exactly what you want and make it right for you! One thing I don't understand is... is one campers fiberglass better than another campers fiberglass (minus the fact that some may not have any insulation like the U-Haul I read about on this site)?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #19

Maryland
Hey Ruth!!! Thanks for the invite! I only had about 2 1/2 hour to the Lil Snoozy up this way!!! I still wanna come down there and meet you (maybe go camping together), after all... Williamsburg VA is one of my FAVORITE places to go!!! I'll keep in touch and you too!!! I appreciate your generousity!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #20

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Geis View Post
Well I drove to Virginia today. I got the opportunity to see the Lil Snoozy! I met one of the members on this forum (what a nice and comfortable person to be around)! She had the patience for me to dig around. I like what I saw! I liked her extra cuz she tried to knock my husband in the head (and anyone that wants to do that to him is my kind of person)!!!
I really enjoyed meeting Lori and her family and showing her my Snoozy. She gave me some invaluable tips on curtains, shades, etc. Thanks!

Note to self: remember that the kitchen window can open at about 100 miles an hour - be sure to warn others that they need to stand back - Sorry for the close call Randy!
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote