Thinking, and thinking and ... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #1

Name: Dillon
Trailer: Thinking really hard
Texas
Thumbs up Thinking, and thinking and ...

Hi, I just registered as of ... 1 minute ago. We're giving some serious thought to a trailer vs a full size RV. My b-in-l has an RV based on a 4WD E350 but that means spending $100K or so for something we might use for 2-3 weeks over the course of the year. And find a place to park the sucker. So a small trailer looks good for the two of us (plus the two Corgis, of course). And light sounds better.
dmpyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome! Your thinking is exactly like mine. With a Class B, there is the cost and storage... and insurance and drivetrain maintenance and all those expensive tires sitting around dry rotting... Only makes sense if you're on the road a lot more than 3 weeks a year.

The best thing about smaller molded trailers is you can pull them with ordinary passenger vehicles that make practical everyday transportation.

Of course, small and light is relative. You might want to check out the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section. It will give you a better idea of what different models really weigh. Might give you a starting point for your search.

Best wishes finding the small, light trailer you're thinking of!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We had a Casita for 4 years. It got too small, so we moved up to a 35 foot class A. What a pain. Negatives were the same as you already recognize - storage, maintenance, insurance cost, gas, and lack of flexibility.

We bought the vintage Campster. It has less room and no facilities, but we park it protected in our carport. It is minimalist, easy to maintain, and will go anywhere.

You will need to decide what fits your comfort needs and budget, then get a tow vehicle big enough to handle the the size of trailer you want. Then the search will be one to find that perfect home on wheels.

Good luck and have fun.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Hey Dillon, you haven't mentioned any kind of a budget.
Have you looked at any FG rvs?
If your thinking of picking up something used you should have an idea what you want because they usually sell pretty fast. You may not have a day or two to think about it.
Good luck on your quest, oh and welcome!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:00 AM   #5

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I had a similar thought when starting was mostly interested in class B but after looking at the big picture decided on the trailer. I have all the comfort I want or need in a more convenient package. I often take the trailer to a site 2-3 hundred miles from home and leave it for a month or two and drive back and fourth when I want to make use of it.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
rigs

we have ran from the 32f 5th, 40f converted bus, our fav our Cabellas tent an Liner another fav to our all time favorite a 13f scamper no b/r none needed.

easy storage, easy to tow instead of being inside watching tv we are outside it is called camping. if I want all that I just stay home!

we have had so many great experiences tented all 50 states 4 trips to Europe taking our tent after learning to be minimulists. we have no desire to drag that huge rig hard to park hard to find reasonable camping!

with small you learn to think and cull out so many things you think you need. we are down to one small skillet and one small pot 5 or 6 water jugs for use when needed. we depend on no one or one thing!

no looking back but I miss our tent but at 76 it is so hard to get off the ground!

good luck in your decision

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
People not experienced with molded FG trailers get sticker shock when they see the high prices. It’s a combination of expensive to build, very little competition, all mfrs are sold out, and long lasting. Narrower and shorter in length than most trailers, you have to compromise on features too.

Many have migrated from stick built campers that had issues. Others are tow vehicle limited. Me a smaller trailer is easier to stow at home and I love the quality.

There is no perfect RV. For some trips, a class B motorhome would be perfect. For other trips, a massive class A or a large fifth wheel would be sweet. All in all our Escape is the right choice for most of our travels. Multiple short overnight stops followed by hanging out in one place for a week, and then back on the road. If I was rich, I’d probably have a fleet of different RVs along with a warehouse for storage and a full time maintenance team....

I kind of went through this phase with motorcycles. I had five of them. One for off road, one collectible, one for long distance touring, one rally bike, and one sport touring bike. But they all fit in the garage, maintenance was straight forward, total cost was about the same as my Escape plus TV. No warehouse, no maintenance team. Needed up selling four of them (down to one). Went from camping via a motorcycle and tent to our Escape.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpyron View Post
Hi, I just registered as of ... 1 minute ago. We're giving some serious thought to a trailer vs a full size RV. My b-in-l has an RV based on a 4WD E350 but that means spending $100K or so for something we might use for 2-3 weeks over the course of the year. And find a place to park the sucker. So a small trailer looks good for the two of us (plus the two Corgis, of course). And light sounds better.
There are places that rent small fiberglass trailers by the day. That way you can try it before you buy it. The reduces all that stress of thinking and wondering if it will be a good investment for yourself.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #9

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I agree a small trailer is the way to go. I bought a 1999 a few years ago, I put on a new axle with brakes on it, now all the critical moving parts on the trailer are only two years old. Spent under $600. Can't do that with an RV.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #10

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Thriftybill- Did you have an Aspen pop up to haul behincd any of your cyc les?
I was convinced for almost a year that an Rpod was just what we needed, until we found onee in An RV dealership and sat inside with all doors and windows shut. It didnt feel "feel right." The pekple who recommend stopping by a rally are right- it really helps to see different manufacurer models and custom personalizations.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes, I’ve had the Aspen, a Bunkhouse and a Kwikcamp. All motorcycle pop ups.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:04 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
People not experienced with molded FG trailers get sticker shock when they see the high prices. It’s a combination of expensive to build, very little competition, all mfrs are sold out, and long lasting. Narrower and shorter in length than most trailers, you have to compromise on features too.

Many have migrated from stick built campers that had issues. Others are tow vehicle limited. Me a smaller trailer is easier to stow at home and I love the quality.

There is no perfect RV. For some trips, a class B motorhome would be perfect. For other trips, a massive class A or a large fifth wheel would be sweet. All in all our Escape is the right choice for most of our travels. Multiple short overnight stops followed by hanging out in one place for a week, and then back on the road. If I was rich, I’d probably have a fleet of different RVs along with a warehouse for storage and a full time maintenance team....

I kind of went through this phase with motorcycles. I had five of them. One for off road, one collectible, one for long distance touring, one rally bike, and one sport touring bike. But they all fit in the garage, maintenance was straight forward, total cost was about the same as my Escape plus TV. No warehouse, no maintenance team. Needed up selling four of them (down to one). Went from camping via a motorcycle and tent to our Escape.
Even people who own or who are experienced in fiberglass trailers get sticker shock . Try pricing a FG trailer longer than 17 feet !! ��
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #13

Missouri
thrifty bill

we were trouting last year a guy rolled into the campground tugging a big camper with a can-am motorcycle.

a little over the top. he also had to pull that thing up a steep hill!

bob
Old 03-25-2018, 07:21 AM   #14

Missouri
bill as with any business startup costs are killer I know I did it! those molds those companies use are expensive to build but after that after a few years with no changes in the molds costs go down a bunch. their biggest costs are the trailer and tires!

I would submit most of their costs are based on labor and don't think they are important just try to run a business today! you can only squeeze only so much out your family members then that makes trouble!

bob
Old 03-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #15

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpyron View Post
🤔 We started camping in a B class we bought used. Had a lot of fun with it camping from Maine to Florida. Pros and cons to everything and after camping for extended periods of time in 1place it got to be a pain packing everything up just to go out for an ice cream or a 6 pack of beer. We now have an Escape 5.0 TA that we tow with a F150. Both bought new for a lot less than $100k. The F 150 is my daily driver, the trailer has way more room than our B class had and I get better mileage towing the trailer than I ever got with the B class. 😎
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
concur on minimalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
. . . minimalist, easy to maintain, and will go anywhere.
Our Hunter Compact II fits in our standard-size garage next to my car that pulls it around about once a month.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote