This FGRV Life - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 08:30 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
LOL around here going to the DMV office to ask a question is about the WORST thing you can do. You are almost sure to wait in line for an hour or two, just to ask a question.

Meanwhile all the answers you need can usually be found online, in the comfort of your home...
Good advice, though here in AZ the motor vehicle offices added a person at the door to answer questions and provide the right forms before you get your number and wait for an agent. It was a smart move that followed years of complaints...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #22

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
insurance

I added my Scamp to my auto policy; same coverage with/without being attached to tow vehicle.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Good advice, though here in AZ the motor vehicle offices added a person at the door to answer questions and provide the right forms before you get your number and wait for an agent. It was a smart move that followed years of complaints...
NICE. Doing business the way it should be done.
BTW, even NC DMV is not at bad as the Social Security Office.. I pity anyone who has to stand in that line.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #24

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I added my Scamp to my auto policy; same coverage with/without being attached to tow vehicle.
The same coverage would not be good enough for some people. Road-side assistance is one option that many people want to have while touring the country with a trailer, but don't care about having for only their car/truck. I don't have it but expect I will add it someday.

Then there is the liability issue when camped... What is someone who is interested in your camper suffers an injury while visiting? I have my camper added to my umbrella liability policy that covers such things at home, on the road and now, at camp.

Lots of options when insuring your trailer. With fiberglass trailers it might be good to have full replacement value, since adjusters are likely to low ball the true value. It was not much more so I got this coverage also.

BTW, Progressive's website allows you to do "what-ifs" with different coverage, and get quotes to see how they compare.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
NICE. Doing business the way it should be done...
LOL… that may be overstating things a bit. Better, anyway. They're still government employees. Funny how the sloth characters in the Zootopia movie resonate no matter where you live!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #26

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
LOL… that may be overstating things a bit. Better, anyway. They're still government employees. Funny how the sloth characters in the Zootopia movie resonate no matter where you live!
Or the Vogons from the planet Vogsphere in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old 05-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #27

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkirts View Post
Leslie, Thanks very much. I appreciate the consideration.

Mitzi & Jon, believe it or not... And judge us or not... We're jumping into this full-timing thing as first-time RV owners and even ...wait for it... first-time campers.

We can hear the gasps & fully realize the anxiety that "first-time-everything" status will create in people (especially friends & family). But we've talked it over & over & over again and we just need to get outta here & refresh ourselves, our connection to nature &, ultimately, refresh our lives themselves.

So... Full-timing: we've committed to a year and will go from there. Domiciling and taxes and whatnot are definitely future concerns but not in the immediate.

I guess when I asked for first-timer advice, I was really asking what stupid RV mistakes y'all made that could've been avoided with advice from some more experienced RVers.

Thanks again to all who've contributed here.
Oh, you are going to have a BALL!
First, when dark falls, it really FALLS (assuming you're not in a suburban/urban wall to wall trailer/rv park) Try to get everything set up/put away before dusk. If you live way north like Canada dusk can last for hours. Here in south Florida it lasts about 10 minutes. Buy a cap led or a headlamp- it's hard to work one handed while hanging on to a flashlight.

Never dress in the dark without shaking out your boots/shoes, underwear and trousers. Back in Boy Scout Camp there was a certain scorpion that became acquainted with certain tender portions of my nether anatomy, due to my failure to shake out my underwear after my in-the-dark shower.

First aid for scorpion stings is benedryl and ice. Pack lots and lots of benedryl. It's good for stings, poison ivy, poison oak, ant bites, mosquito bites, insomnia, and hay fever. Oral benedryl is much less likely to cause allergies than ointments containing benedryl.

First aid for burns. 1. Ice. 2. Non steroidal anti inflammatories (such as aspirin, ibuprofen or Naprosyn) to stop the burn at a cellular level. If you start to blister get thee to an emergency room. (PS paramedics and ER staff REALLY hate to see burns coming in slathered with butter or Crisco or Neosporin or any other cream. If there is still heat in the burnt area creams just trap it and it all has to be painfully washed off so they can make an educated assessment)

My dermatologist uses Neutrogena SPF 100 sunscreen. I figure she should know and do the same.

Low temperatures outside cities are 10-20 degrees lower than in the city. How to stay warm? Nightcaps. Fuzzy socks. Keep water and a high carb midnight snack handy as your metabolism will need a little kickstart if it's not used to keeping you warm all night instead of your furnace doing so. Also moisturize lightly to hold heat in (see the hint above about burn first aid. Also, long distance swimmers grease to avoid hypothermia)

If you are going to be cold weather camping, read your clothing labels. COTTON KILLS! The biggest lie is "warm 100% cotton flannel". Polyester, acrylic, silk, and wool are all warmer than cotton. I have slept in a 40*F 10 x 10 ft cabin atop a north Carolina mountain, comfortable in a double set of long undies/long sleeve shirts- silk next to the skin then merino/angora blend. My Boy Scouts all knew the "Cotton Kills" lecture by heart.

Camping trips are not times to experiment with unfamiliar foods ( we'll make an exception for tinfoil dinners and egg scramble in a baggie) Comfort food that you can produce with a blindfold and one hand tied behind your back is the way to go until you feel comfortable with camping cookery. Snacky sweets are very good on camping trips. You know about smores, and there are pie iron recipes...

Very important- keep one whole outfit, complete from skin out, bagged in a ziplock baggie and wear that to drive home.
Hoping that others can chime in with advice to the first timers...but you will love it, I swear. Don't wait any longer, camping is a WONDERFUL way to refresh your soul and enjoy yourself.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:05 AM   #28

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Mamaskirts, I am going to try to copy the above post and start a 1st time camper hacks thread on General Chat. Really this area here is just for introductions, and I am hopping more people will see and contribute over in General Chat (Scroll to the top and hover your cursor over the Forums tab. You should see General Chat come up and be able to click there)