This FGRV Life - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 05:56 AM   #1

Name: Debbie
Trailer: In the Market
Pennsylvania
This FGRV Life

Hello, all.
About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I decided to stop joking about living in our Jeep as a means of escaping our dead end jobs and to seriously weigh our vehicular options.
Within that time, I've done a flurry of research and we've decided on a Parkliner. We've visited the factory and feel secure that any online negativity about service is outdated and that the Parkliner is a superior travel trailer.
The pieces of this full time FBRV life are coming together quickly. And I wanted to post something in gratitude for this forum, its extensive information and its passionate members.
We hope you'll wish us luck on our adventure and I'm sure we will be reaching out for advice along our way.
MamaSkirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:25 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Welcome Debbie. I think you made a good choice with the Parkliner.

I wish they were not having all of their customer service issues at the time we were looking, it would have been nice to at least be able to consider them. It would have been a lot closer for us.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:33 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
Thank so much for the welcome.
Mind if I ask what you did end up purchasing: your top pros and cons?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Debbie!

I have always thought the Parkliner an innovative design that deserved a second chance to succeed. Early signs are promising.

I wish you success in your adventure!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:40 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
We ended up originally ordering an Escape 17 B (build date 3 months from today) and then changed our order to an Escape 19 after getting to be inside the 17, 19 and 21 at a recent rally (still have the August 3rd build date).

We loved the feeling of space in the Escape trailers as compared to the Casita's and Scamps (which is what we were originally looking at). We also did not like the carpet on the walls of the Casitas.

Due to the previous customer service issues, we did not even consider the Parkliner at the time. However, based upon the things that we have recently read, it sounds like they have gotten those all straightened out. So I think you will have a good experience with them.

I would say definitely spend time in each trailer that you consider if possible. Pictures can be deceiving.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #6

Name: carleen
Trailer: On epic search for Eriba
Texas
I agree - the people on this forum rock

I agree with your glowing review of this forum.

I get the daily update and every day there is something that someone posts that is interesting and/or entertaining. Everyone is very positive and helpful.

I'm looking forward to a day when I can contribute more to the forum as an active fiberglass traveler and attend some get-togethers.

Enjoy your new life!

Carleen
Still putting the kids through school
carleene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
As a former ultra light backpacker and canoe camper I would've been Okay with a parkliner. I would've turned the big dinette into a dedicated bed and replaced all gas with all electric. Unfortunately, I have a husband who swears up and down he is going to travel more with me, and 3-4 cats. I chose a lilsnoozy because they offer the same bottom engineering to reduce turbulence and increase efficiency, and their underbed storage space opens to the outside and is big enough for cat litter and cat beds. Plus DH really needed more space than in the Parklner. But I think you made a great choice.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #8

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
Hi,

Will be interested in your experience with the Parkliner build. I deposited my money for one about a week ago. Was also satisfied that the problems of the past have been resolved.
Leslie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Thank you to everyone who has replied. We so appreciate the community of this forum.

Leslie, we are currently rushing around getting our ducks in order to place our deposit. We'll update this thread as we make progress toward the down payment, build and pick up.

Please feel free to share your experiences here as well. We're curious as to how it's gone and continues to go for you.

Tom mentioned his last anonymous deposit-placer was interested in a composting toilet install. May I venture and ask if this is you?
Old 05-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #10

North Carolina
Parkliner and composting toilet

Dear Mama......

Yep, that would be me unless there are more than one of us. Looking at Nature's Head brand.

Leslie
Old 05-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
Leslie,
We are also determined to go the composting route and are also considering Nature's Head as the front runner. The company has a great customer service reputation, offers a 5 year warranty & theirs seems the most logically designed.
Are you having NH direct-ship to Parkliner? Is there a deadline to get Parkliner your toilet during the course of the build? How are you addressing mounting it to the wet bath floor? Any details you can offer surrounding your NH experience will be greatly appreciated.
I'm very excited for you and for us and for Parkliner! What will the future hold? Come what may!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Jon & Mitzi,
Any advice for a couple of first-timers?
Old 05-04-2016, 03:24 AM   #13

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
First time camper, or first time RV owner? I'm a first time RV owner, also. I did decide to buy new stuff for the camper rather than use hand me downs from my kitchen. Bought a 50 oz insulated carafe to hold hot water in each morning for a variety of uses rather than keep a pot simmering or reusing the microwave, buying toaster oven sized bakeware, a new crockpot with a lid that fastens, and put in another order for a 1.5L pressure cooker by Hawkins. Originally I was just going to get one pressure cooker, trial it, then pack it with my camping gear, but I use it so constantly now I decided to just get a second one. did decide on a Truckfridge ac/dc refrigerator to also hold down electric usage. To save space n the kitchen also bought folding silicon measuring spoons and cups. Thinking that we may just want to designate 3-4 outfits apiece as "camping gear" and just leave them in a plastic tote, in place. Also I will be getting a folding screen house as mosquitos just love me.
Been discussing the aspects of how to insure and license our little camper so it will be legal to drive it home from the factory with Dh, but since it's my baby it's something I'll have to chase down myself. Also have to buy some real world stuff like chocks, levels, temperature gun, et cetera...Depending on the more experienced hands here to heads up me on anything I have been overlooking.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:00 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Have no idea how it is in Fl but in Cal you're covered insurance wise as long as your hooked up to your tow vehicle. Might want to check it though.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:52 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
This FGRV Life

That's true in many states, I believe, but it only covers liability. With a brand new trailer, you probably want full coverage. Check with your vehicle insurer for a start. The "Money Matters" section of the forum has numerous old threads on insurance.

Registration procedures vary depending on your state. Best thing is to go into your local motor vehicle licensing office and ask.

For the OP... full-timing raises a lot of issues that us "weekenders" don't have to think about- things like state of residence, mailing address, managing campground costs, Internet and phone service,... You might want to scroll through the old threads in the "Full-timing" section of the forum and do some reading. They may answer some questions you didn't know you had!
Old 05-04-2016, 07:15 AM   #16

North Carolina
Parkliner and I have not worked out the details yet. Will let you know things as we get going.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
Leslie, Thanks very much. I appreciate the consideration.

Mitzi & Jon, believe it or not... And judge us or not... We're jumping into this full-timing thing as first-time RV owners and even ...wait for it... first-time campers.

We can hear the gasps & fully realize the anxiety that "first-time-everything" status will create in people (especially friends & family). But we've talked it over & over & over again and we just need to get outta here & refresh ourselves, our connection to nature &, ultimately, refresh our lives themselves.

So... Full-timing: we've committed to a year and will go from there. Domiciling and taxes and whatnot are definitely future concerns but not in the immediate.

I guess when I asked for first-timer advice, I was really asking what stupid RV mistakes y'all made that could've been avoided with advice from some more experienced RVers.

Thanks again to all who've contributed here.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:18 AM   #18

North Carolina
Hi,

Mistakes: bought cheap water hose and had to buy better one a few months later.

Must have's in my opinion: pressure regulator for water hose and surge protector for electric. Chocks. The leveling pads that look like legos. My hinge pin lock has saved me in one case. Traveling tool kit.

Suggest you take time in buying things. It is so tempting to go out and spend on all the "cute stuff" right away. I try to think about weight and function carefully before I buy. Also find Amazon a great resource.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Registration procedures vary depending on your state. Best thing is to go into your local motor vehicle licensing office and ask. ..
LOL around here going to the DMV office to ask a question is about the WORST thing you can do. You are almost sure to wait in line for an hour or two, just to ask a question.

Meanwhile all the answers you need can usually be found online, in the comfort of your home. For Florida, here are two:
Car Registration Florida
Florida DHSMV Dealer Licenses

I'm pretty sure that Lil Snoozy (in SC) will issue a 45 day temporary plate, good while you work on your Florida registration. They can verify that. I would have discussions with my insurance agent well before picking up the camper.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
No judgments from me... if this is what you really want to do, then get started!

My biggest mistake was not starting sooner. Our kids were 6 and 9 when we bought the Scamp, and we missed some good years.

Leslie's list is a good start. As said, resist the temptation to go crazy buying every cool RV gadget. Consider weight with each purchase. Start simple and add as you go. With a small trailer, some kind of awning to make outdoor living space is essential. Lots of old threads on awnings- best type depends on where you camp- whether it's for shade, rain, or bugs. Seems like you are already thinking about off-grid camping, so solar and/or a small generator, perhaps?

Make sure your tow vehicle is mechanically sound and up to the task. I'd want something rated for at least 3500 pounds to tow a trailer like the Parkliner. An auxiliary transmission cooler, if it doesn't already have one, is money well-spent. That was another mistake I made at the beginning...