Those bears . . . - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #1

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Those bears . . .

Hi,
My wife and I will soon be fiberglass RV campers. We've been tent camping for years and we never pass a FG camper without looking at least twice. We have grown tired of tent camping though, mainly because of bears. After moving from the deep south to Rocky Mountain bear country, our old tent camping style doesn't work for us anymore. Actually, bears are not the problem, it's the bear safety rules that have made tent camping tiresome, mainly dealing with food storage and food cleanup. Now that folks have wised up about bear safety, campground bear sightings don't seem to be as common as they used to be. The only wild bear I've ever seen was walking down the middle of E Main Street in Buena Vista, CO. Anyway, we now have those bears to thank for pushing us to where we wanted to be.

We are looking closely at a 16' Scamp build, but that could change. So far I haven't come up with any questions that have not already been asked and answered. As soon as I do, I'll ask away. Forums are great, and this is a great forum.

Morgan
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Hi and welcome Morgan,

We have a Scamp 16 and are very happy with it since we left the tent behind. Having a hard sided trailer has allowed us to stay in some WY campgrounds that don't allow tents due to bear restrictions. We've also been to places (YNP, RMNP, and others) that have bear restrictions. We find we are still using the bear boxes or our vehicle to store some items like our grill, an extra cooler or water jug.

Ken
Old 11-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
BEARS... LOOK OUT FOR BEARS...
You know that bears will anybody that's not inside a hard shell like a trailer or a car. Don't try sleeping the ground under the stars the bears will eat you. They ate all my ancestors when they were too young to know better than to be outside with bears.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
BEARS... LOOK OUT FOR BEARS...
You know that bears will anybody that's not inside a hard shell like a trailer or a car. Don't try sleeping the ground under the stars the bears will eat you. They ate all my ancestors when they were too young to know better than to be outside with bears.
Your so right Byron! Since our neighbourhood started following the Bear Aware program which educated all my neighbours on why the bears where coming into their yards I have started to really miss seeing the bears. Now we have way to many yappy dogs and yelling children in the sub division.

Welcome Morgan, if you get a chance attend a Fiberglass trailer rally near you so you can see a number of different brands of trailers all in one place.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Bacon Fat

We discovered this trick many years ago while camping/ fishing in Ontario Canada . Each morning after breakfast we would take our bacon fat and dump it in the fire pit of another campsite a good distance from where we were camping. We were never bothered by bears again
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We discovered this trick many years ago while camping/ fishing in Ontario Canada . Each morning after breakfast we would take our bacon fat and dump it in the fire pit of another campsite a good distance from where we were camping. We were never bothered by bears again
So that was YOU ! ! !
Old 11-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...Just go away, Uncle ...BEAR. Do not disturb....Mister...TIGER...Grrr....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG054.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #8

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Hi Morgan,

Welcome! I dealt with bears many years ago while tent camping in Yosemite. A tough night for all the campers in that part of the Toulomne meadows. Moose in Maine created an even more tense experience. A male and two females stormed around our tent for several hours. Huge critters!

Anyway, Scamps seem nice, but I have a 1995 Casita and am very happy with it. My guess is that you would be fine with the Scamp. Most of the manufacturers have a program which connects trailer owners in your area with prospective buyers. See if you can visit a few trailers first. Once spring gets here, if you haven't decided, try to get to a Fiberglass Rally. The rally'ers wil be happy to show you their trailers.

Good luck!
Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganza View Post
.....The only wild bear I've ever seen was walking down the middle of E Main Street in Buena Vista, CO......
Morgan
Funny that is one of the few places I have seen a wild bear too! Staying at a campground called Browns, located near a creek and just off a main road. That was many (x many) years ago but I still have fond memories of the trip and the "adventure".

Other than that it's mostly just sign, a track, bear torn tree, maybe some scat. But then I do tend to let my grooming go when I camp so maybe I'm just ugly enough to scare them off.
:-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
One of the dirty little secrets that FGRV owners don't like to share is that, when we are tipped over by bears, (It happens ALL the time ya know) most FGRV's are much easier to right than heavy, square edged, sticky's.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The other secret is it pretty easy using a compound & electric buffer out the fiberglass to remove the scratches from their big nails as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #12

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
One of the dirty little secrets that FGRV owners don't like to share is that, when we are tipped over by bears, (It happens ALL the time ya know) most FGRV's are much easier to right than heavy, square edged, sticky's.
I'll have to figure out how to right it without coming outside of the trailer!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The other secret is it pretty easy using a compound & electric buffer out the fiberglass to remove the scratches from their big nails as well.
I happen to have a nice DA buffer, so I'm all set. I may decide to keep the scratches though. In fact, I'm now thinking that I may have to add some scratch marks of my own if no bears come around!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #14

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
You might have fun encountering other critters while in your trailer such as bison/buffalo in Custer State Park in South Dakota!
Attached Thumbnails
035.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #15

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	BearsCanOpener2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	66609
Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #16

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I was concerned about bears up in Yellowstone this past summer. I didn't want them coming around, rubbing up against my little 13' Scamp. I'm not prepared to care for little Scaars.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Be afraid very afraid. Bears will eat you. They ate all my ancestors, usually before my ancestors had any children. Bears probably are yours too.