To Cover or Not To Cover...... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 08:32 AM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1983 Burro
Missouri
To Cover or Not To Cover......

I am now the proud owner of the 1983 Burro that don don advertised here. I love it and want to take the best care of it so it will last another 32 years !! The Homes Association in my subdivision won't allow it to live in my driveway, so I must store it. Right now it in an open outside space. I am considering moving it before winter to an underground "cave" type facility, which costs more and is farther from home. Do you owners of fiberglass campers recommend putting a cover of some type if left outside in the elements? One thought is that if moisture is trapped under the cover it will get mold/mildew under it. What do some of you do? Thanks in advance. Kathy T
Kathy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you're going to use a "Tarp", DO NOT cover it at all....my opinion and alot of others as well.

IF you're going to cover it, use a quality cover like "Calmark". It even has a warranty...it BREATHES...something a tarp will NOT do. They also have access doors to be able to get in and out of your covered RV.

My preference is a fully-enclosed garage...protected from UV, dust, extreme temps etc. Unfortunately, I cant do that, so I went with a carport. But they can get pricey and you have to watch local residential codes. But I love mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy T View Post
I am now the proud owner of the 1983 Burro that don don advertised here. I love it and want to take the best care of it so it will last another 32 years !! The Homes Association in my subdivision won't allow it to live in my driveway, so I must store it. Right now it in an open outside space. I am considering moving it before winter to an underground "cave" type facility, which costs more and is farther from home. Do you owners of fiberglass campers recommend putting a cover of some type if left outside in the elements? One thought is that if moisture is trapped under the cover it will get mold/mildew under it. What do some of you do? Thanks in advance. Kathy T
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #3

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We'd like to hear more about this topic, too. We have a fiberglass motorcycle trailer, and are looking for a fiberglass camping trailer, too.
Kai in Seattle
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
I’ve discovered over the years the best way to protect an RV is to keep it covered. It stays cleaner, looks newer and lasts longer when it’s protected from the ravages of weather, be it summer or winter. We kept our trailer under a portable shelter we picked up at Canadian tire and I prefer that to an RV cover because the air space around the unit allows it to “breathe”. And because of all the rain here on the wet coast the inside stays drier and fresher smelling.
Sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I would not cover.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #6

Registry
What about putting "DryZair" container inside, or using a small electric heater inside all winter? With or without covering?
Old 09-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My Scamp sits more than it's used (possibly 4x a year for 3-4 days max on average). As I stated earlier, I keep mine under a carport. I live in Tennessee so the south...maybe not the "Deep" south but HUMID in the summers none-the-less. I've NEVER used anything in my Scamp to keep down moisture, humidity etc. I DO keep the Fantastic fan vent cracked open (slightly open ) along with the bathroom door open along with the br window cracked open along with the kitchen sink window cracked open as well. We're talking maybe 1/2".

Prior to my carport, I used a cover from another company. It was a glorified "breathable" tarp that I STILL had to wash the Scamp before putting it on. I used big styrofoam blocks under it at strategic locations to keep the tarp off my Scamp. I STILL kept the windows/vent cracked as described above

I've NEVER had a problem with mold, moisture or any other issues in my Scamp. People, I can tell you the "key" from experience: VENTILATION!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
What about putting "DryZair" container inside, or using a small electric heater inside all winter? With or without covering?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here in the Pacific North Wet I too have a steel carport. The Scamp doesn't sit long in the winter since we're snow birders. In the years it sat most of the winter, we camp year around, what did and now do in the fall is Dri-Z-Air inside. Small window over the stove open and ceiling vent open a bit. While sitting in it's nest I put a small electric heater inside and keep the inside temperature between 40° and 50°F. I also make sure the fresh water tank is 75% to 90% full. This makes it harder to freeze.

In my opinion the most important thing is storage is air circulation. The more air circulation the less moisture can gather and grow mold and mildew.

Covering with a tarp has two major drawbacks, one it doesn't breath so there's no air circulation and second tarps are abrasive and will destroy the finish on your trailer.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Under cover, not cover

Being under some kind of structure to protect it from the elements is preferable.

Do not cover for the simple reason the wind will cause flapping of a tarp and where it hits or rubs against the egg will cause abrasion or other damage.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

In my opinion the most important thing in storage is air circulation. The more air circulation the less moisture can gather and grow mold and mildew.

Covering with a tarp has two major drawbacks, one it doesn't breath so there's no air circulation and second tarps are abrasive and will destroy the finish on your trailer.
Couldn't agree more
Sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #11

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Covered or not the most important thing is air circulation both inside and out.
While traveling about the country this past summer I did note that about 90%
of the RVs seem to have installed the "MAXX AIR" covers on their roof vents.
These are a great item as they allow air circulation without allowing rain to enter the RV. In the winter I open the 3 roof vents on my travel trailer a few inches and leave one window cracked open just a bit to allow air to circulate.
I cover only the top of my Travel Trailer with a light weight poly tarp. The tarp covers the roof area and about a foot or so down the sides. The roof top A/C unit and the MAXX AIR roof vent covers support the cover above the roof surface and allow plenty of air circulation. My area gets plenty of snow...we measure it in feet not inches...from time to time I brush off much of the snow while it is light and fluffy to reduce the weight of the accumulated snow load.
This method has proven to be very cost effective (poly tarp 12X20 costs $15) I use it one season on the RV and then to cover my firewood pile after that. I buy a new tarp every year for the RV. It protects the roof area and keeps it clean year after year. I currently own a "sticky" travel trailer that is 15 years young.
If I owned a fiberglass travel trailer I would not cover it as all you folks say they never leak and last forever!

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
To Cover or Not To Cover......

I'd skip cheap poly tarps and budget-priced full covers on a molded fiberglass trailer Both are likely to abrade the thin gelcoat, and will degrade and shred after a season or two. Either get a high quality, breathable cover (Calmark, $$$) or nothing. I chose nothing because we get a lot of blowing dust in our area that can get under any cover and cause abrasion. In lieu of a cover, I apply two coats of paste wax fall and spring. It's a fair bit of work, but inexpensive.

Whatever you do, check inside the trailer regularly for signs of moisture, rodents,... during the off-season. Removing snow load is a good practice and easy to do on a small egg.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:06 AM   #13

Name: rick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Colorado
Also, from my experience, do not cover. I've tried two different covers and they both were an abrasion problem. A carport or a garage = OK. Otherwise, leave it outside and wash it next spring.
rick in arvada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #14

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
I am going to jump in on this moisture issue. I have a Trillium 1300 (1977) and find little black spots on the ensolite from time to time. I have been letting it sit in our driveway with the windows and vent open and still I get little black dots. That is with no cover. I get more mildew if it is covered (with windows and vent cracked open). My cover is breathable, fabric.

So, covered or not, I still get little bits of mildew.

Right now it is all closed up with bedding removed and a Dri-Eaz placed inside gathering little puddles to be dumped out.

It does not seem to make a difference if the windows are open or not - do Trilliums tend to collect more moisture than other trailers? It smells pretty good inside so that's not an issue.

Thanks all in advance who will read this and advise.
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have mine under a cheap tarp-type carport just to keep the rain and tree crap off of it and block what Sun gets through the tree canopy. I also leave the top escape hatch open as well as the side restroom window to get some air circulation. The air circulation makes a huge difference down here in the hot, humid deep South.

I will be moving in the next year or so and plan on getting one of those $800 metal carports set up with slightly longer legs so I can park the Scamp and my seldom used pickup truck under it. The Sun and rain really conspire to beat stuff down around here. My daily driver is a 1994 Toyota that looks new because it has been garaged since new. I am a firm believer in keeping stuff out of the weather, but a tarp or cheap cover does not really count.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I wouldn't tarp it from experience. anything on the surface will scratch it.

Dust will get on the surface no matter what type of cover you put on and the cover will move turning the cover into sandpaper.

A good coat of wax and be sure no heavy snowfalls lay on it.

Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #17

Registry
Hi. We now own a 1973 Amerigo FG-16...towed it home last night after a 20-hour day and drive...I could almost say we "lead" it home, it came along so smoothly. However, when we stopped to eat dinner in it (a couple of fast-food burgers) we discovered that while closed for travel, a "smell" had come up that was choking me.
We spent four hours today taking everything out we could, washing the curtains, and will continue tomorrow. We have all the windows open to the first notch, have put Dri Z Air inside along with a dog-stink bag of crystals...

The thought of covering this over the winter makes me shudder!
We've found no actual mold yet, no real soft spots (though we're so nervous from the smell we think everything not solid as steel is a soft spot) and are just worn out.

Advice? Is Canberra Gel worth the money? Better product? What steps should we take now?
Old 06-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #18

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
I would like to weigh in here again. I deliberated about a cover - and our trailer seemed to collect moisture no matter what - covered - covered with windows open - not covered - and not covered with windows open. Soooo, I bought some DryZAir and LOVE it. It removes excess moisture - prevents mildew from collecting in the dimples of the ensolite.

About the cover, Rick heard me wanting one and bought an rv cover online - it is wonderful - it keeps our little Trillium clean - it is soft and does not scratch - and has roll up areas for door.

Hope this helps anyone deciding how to handle moisture and keeping your mini home clean.
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #19

Registry
After eight months, we are almost finished redoing the entire inside and out of the trailer. A cover wouldn't have done anything, and neither did DriZAir, because the floor had rotted out.

Next winter we'll rethink the cover thing. Paul patched over 80 holes and we've spent over $2000 in materials so far.

A nice, soft cover does sound good. I'm sure we'll get wheel covers for the brand new tires.

We WILL be using Dri-Z-Air next winter, it's a good product and does exactly what it should.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #20

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Welcome to the Burro family! Really enjoy mine.
In the summer I keep it outside and well polished.
Winters it stays in a nice indoor facility.
So far do good!
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro