Total Newcomers here . - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-21-2015, 09:52 PM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Hi, Raj,
We were older than you when we bought our (first) trailer. There is a lot to learn but you can read and ask about anything you need. I can only suggest that you get a trailer with a bathroom for the spouse. At most campgrounds, there are hosts and they can tell you just about anything you need to know on a trailer and so can anyone around you.

As for flying and hotels, been there done that so much, and I wish we had had a trailer decades earlier. A hotel is a nice break once in a while but it is hardly being in the woods or at a lake. Campgrounds are very safe, I would say, as long as they are not empty, which you only tend to find in the off season.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:29 AM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cathi,

Ginny and I frequently travel when few others are and go to place many don't go. When we leave in May for Newfoundland, much, of the time we are the only ones in campgrounds, just Ginny and I. Now when we camp I never feel unsafe, but alone safety is magnified. Ginny is yet to attack me, at least to hurt me.

The benefit to a populated campground is that there are tons of people who will help your with any problem. Most of the time you don't even need to ask, just look a little helpless.

I agree with Cathi's suggestion of a bathroom.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #17

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Buying a small RV doesn't mean that you're giving up anything; you're just adding one more way to enjoy your retirement. You can still go places in planes, stay in hotels, take cruises, and live in a house with a large yard. Personally, we aren't cut out to live in a trailer, but we do enjoy a few camping trips every year, usually for just a few days, or maybe even a week, then we are anxious to get back to our house and on with the rest of our lives - until we get the urge to go camping again.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #18

Florida
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Buying a small RV doesn't mean that you're giving up anything; you're just adding one more way to enjoy your retirement. You can still go places in planes, stay in hotels, take cruises, and live in a house with a large yard. Personally, we aren't cut out to live in a trailer, but we do enjoy a few camping trips every year, usually for just a few days, or maybe even a week, then we are anxious to get back to our house and on with the rest of our lives - until we get the urge to go camping again.
There are certainly multiple ways to use an RV. Our life is the opposite of Ray's. Our way has turned into a different life from our pre-RV life, probably not for everyone but we love it. It's all conscious choice.

We don't treat our RV life as a little change, a vacation from the life we experienced for almost 60 years. We have stepped over the line of the past into a different way of living, it's not a short term escape but a choice to live differently from the way we used to live.

We talk with many RVers. After the Scamp Camp we had 8 people over, most could not imagine our lifestyle, finding it tough to be away from the old for more than a month or two or three.

It's interesting to think about why that is.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #19

Name: Raj
Trailer: Waiting for Escape 17B due soon
Florida
Today we take our first step in getting to know about a RV live.

Norm has been kind to invite us to his RV resort and we are going to visit them today in their RV in Central Florida.

Thanks Norm & Ginny, honda, cathi, Ray, Carl, Steve, Theresa, MikeMagee & Papa for chiming on this thread & encouraging us, Total Newcomers .

Best regards to everybody on this forum, I am sure we will continue to have many questions as we go along.

Raj
Old 02-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Welcome, Disneydoc; as you see from the other posts, there are many, many ways you can approach this. Some people dive right in, some make a few short trips a year, some, especially the retired folk, make longer, multiweek trips a few time a year. We are in the last category. I never towed anything until two years ago, at age 68. For us the Scamp was two steps up, we say, from a minivan and a tent, which we used a lot. I got tired of sleeping in motels which were sometimes really nice, sometimes less so (I am being charitable). I did years of thinking and research, asking questions, lurking on this forum and on the ScampOwnersInternational, and occasionally updating my DW on my findings. After pitching our tent in a gale force wind on a sandy campsite in Page, AZ and finding all motels booked when the weather turned rainy, we both were convinced that an upgrade is needed. That's kind of the short of it.

Consider that these fiberglass trailers keep their value pretty well, especially those well cared for. Renting trailers or small RV's, I found, is very expensive. You could buy a Scamp, try it out and sell it and be ahead, compared to renting as a trial.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #21

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Rent a motor home C-Class type to try the RV life style. All the interior appliances are the same in a travel trailer. Only trying the RV Camping experience will get you comfortable with the camping "thing".
I find campgrounds safer than cities and motels. Once you own a RV you will also be sleeping in your own bed every night you are traveling... Explore the country in your own mobil space...cost less and more fun!

.......or....you might visit with Norm and Ginny !!!

Happy Camping!
Old 02-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #22

Florida
Bartow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesway View Post
Oh, and I am here in central Florida also. Bartow.
We were in Bartow yesterday.

You're less than an hour from us. Our Florida SKP resort is just off route 17 south of Wauchula on Rt 64. Head east on 64 about 2 miles, the SKP Resort is on the left. Drive into the resort and take your first left, we're the second unit on the left.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Little Joe
Ontario
Welcome. We to were newbies to RVing. We took the plunge by purchasing a Little Joe and left it in the driveway until we were ready to take it out. Instead of short trips we took it to Florida then to Texas for six weeks. We learned that I knew nothing about the trailer. But we are learning. The only thing that I can suggest is get one with a washroom it makes things a lot easier. If you need any advice from a novice just ask.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #24

Norm, I assure you I was not referring to Newfoundland. Since Raj is seeing you, could be these newbies will be on their way to Newfoundland in no time. No doubt it is safe where you go. I don't think Ginny will bother you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Cathi,

Ginny and I frequently travel when few others are and go to place many don't go. When we leave in May for Newfoundland, much, of the time we are the only ones in campgrounds, just Ginny and I. Now when we camp I never feel unsafe, but alone safety is magnified. Ginny is yet to attack me, at least to hurt me.

The benefit to a populated campground is that there are tons of people who will help your with any problem. Most of the time you don't even need to ask, just look a little helpless.

I agree with Cathi's suggestion of a bathroom.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #25

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Norm, I assure you I was not referring to Newfoundland. Since Raj is seeing you, could be these newbies will be on their way to Newfoundland in no time. No doubt it is safe where you go. I don't think Ginny will bother you.
Cathi,
We had a great visit with Raj and his wife spending a few hours describing our lifestyle and answering their questions.

They are just beginning and as for most this is a big step. I will say they care about each other and that's the most important ingredient.

Newfoundland may be in the cards someday for them.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #26

Wonder if they will go fiberglass. I am sure they left knowing right away whether they would be interested after seeing you and yours.

We never saw one for a long time as they are not at the RV shows usually, and only campgrounds rarely, but we knew we wanted one from the first visit to an owner. Then it was just getting things in order to get one. I am sure you will be pivotal in their decision.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #27

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Best helpfull site we have encountered

Carl Pa and Cathi

This is for all new to fibreglassRV in this feed:

Been towing and camping for over 40 years but learned much from this site

Great site to learn about hookups;
Do you use WD system, swaybar, or trailer brakes?
Radial trailer tires is most likely on a new trailer
Do you have a full size tire for spare in your TV so you can change an tow?
What do you tow with ?
Real weight of the trailer may want to have it checked at scale?
Emergency repair kit
Emergency medical first aid kit?
Pet Emergency medical first aid kit?
(St. Johns Ambulance has these available)
Charger for deep cycle battery?

We know the questions to ask

Make your own feed too get answers to all this and more
Old 02-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #28

Florida
Cathi, Raj is interested in a Casita 17.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16