Total Newcomers here . - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Welcome to the site. it's great to have you here.

Tony

1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
One of the nice attributes of this forum is the ability to share with old and new members. This also readily happens at rallies. This year in Florida we had 8 over to our place from the Scamp Camp and three from this thread, people just getting started.

It feels good to share and to meet nice people. I know there are some who fear other campers, mostly this is just because you haven't experienced them. People in camp grounds are most always nice. If you meet an RV couple at least 90% of the time they are people who like each other, another positive sign.

When ever we meet new people we always mention the people who helped us when we were getting started, like some on this site we had never camped before we began our extended travels.

Thanks to all those who helped.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
One of the nice attributes of this forum is the ability to share with old and new members. This also readily happens at rallies. This year in Florida we had 8 over to our place from the Scamp Camp and three from this thread, people just getting started.

It feels good to share and to meet nice people. I know there are some who fear other campers, mostly this is just because you haven't experienced them. People in camp grounds are most always nice. If you meet an RV couple at least 90% of the time they are people who like each other, another positive sign.

When ever we meet new people we always mention the people who helped us when we were getting started, like some on this site we had never camped before we began our extended travels.

Thanks to all those who helped.
Noticed your in NH, my wife and I camp in Lincoln quite a bit with the kids.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #32

Florida
Tony, we presently have a cottage at Hampton Beach, usually there after July 1st.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Tony, we presently have a cottage at Hampton Beach, usually there after July 1st.
Oh cool....I surf up the road at Jeness Beach. Cinnamon Rainbows built my board years ago.

I'm from Salem NH
Old 02-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #34

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Norm, you are saying Raj is interested in a Casita.

I first became aware of Casitas. After looking into it, we eventually saw an Escape and liked it. We could have just as well had another one. Good thing I did not see some oldies no longer made or we would have likely had a project that we probably would have never done.

If they are headed for fiberglass one way or another, that would be a good choice. I am sure you and Ginny helped them in that direction a great deal. Some people go so far as to visit a factory thousands of miles away. They will do whatever they can and think they need. We took at least a couple of years to get ours.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #35

Florida
Cathi,

They are aware of Escape trailers. In general I don't try to steer people to one brand or the other, I actually like them all and could be happy in any of them. Generally most people first want to know about the lifestyle and second they want some of there fears addressed.

If you're a novice on this site, there are many posts, actually too many, that scare people.

When I was a mayor one of my mentor's told me that I could do 99 things right and 1 thing wrong and people will remember the one thing wrong. In the world there's too much focus on the negative, too much creation of unnecessary fear by the media and the government.

Yes someone may steal your generator, your bikes, .... it does happen but it's rare.

For example, I put a camera in the back window of my trailer and i heard posts on the legality of a camera versus mirrors.

Much of the world's progress comes from people willing to step away form yesterday's "right ways".

Just a thought... nothing that should rankle anyone.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #36

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Norm, when we talk to people, we have indeed heard what they think is wrong with other brands. I prefer to think of it as the pros and cons of each trailer. I wouldn't mind at all if someone told me what is seen as a drawback to a certain trailer in case it is a prime consideration to us. People trade the con that they find important (but that someone else may not) for a pro on another trailer that fixes that problem, for them. Yes, I agree that one should not be steering to a certain trailer.

People have their personal and family situations, and likes and dislikes, and to compound that, all of that changes when becoming older. I think the forums give people the information they need in most cases, or point them in the right direction. Readers can see the diverging opinions and have their own take.

There are countless fiberglass owners who became owners because of the forums and they are not without knowledge about the problems and how to fix them. Anything important and a person needs more than one source, but the forums are certainly a great start. Readers may occasionally be misled but usually that is corrected by someone else. I like to look at it as if the forums do not owe anyone an answer and certainly not a correct one, but there is often not a correct answer, only an opinion coming from someone's lifestyle (which may be chosen or not.)
Old 02-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #37

Name: Raj
Trailer: Waiting for Escape 17B due soon
Florida
We had a delightful & a very informative visit with Ginny & Norm yesterday.

They answered lots of our questions, cleared our doubts, laid our fears to rest, and we found them to be very hospitable and helpful. We discussed their RVing lifestyle and were amazed at how much of this continent they have visited.

We are lucky to have met such nice people early on in our attempts at familiarizing ourselves with buying & travelling places in a RV.
We saw their very customized & comfortable Scamp, which looks very young for its age and the very nice RV community they live in.

The trip yesterday showed us that rving can add lot of fun & enhance our forthcoming retirement.

Thank you Ginny & Norm from two Total Newcomers
Old 02-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #38

Hey guys

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-24-2015, 04:23 AM   #39

Florida
Raj and Nisha,

We had a great visit with the you and hope our paths cross again, you certainly have an open invitation for a visit, Follow up questions are always welcome.

Cathi,

I am certainly happy to discuss the pros and cons of various trailers but I was not asked to do that. I'm certain this and that trailer feature came up in our extended conversation but it was not the main purpose of our meeting.

As you probably realize I'm not focused on trailer choice but rather trailer usage.

When our children were young the bedtime rule was they could read as late as they wanted in bed and we did not care what the read, providing anything they wanted. We would often find them asleep with a book on their chest, sometimes falling asleep after us. It was not what they read but that they did. They are still avid readers.

We always feel so blessed to have found RVing that we focus on the adventure and how much fun the lifestyle can be, how new and different can be an exciting and broadening.

We have been open to visits from those wanting to get started, sometimes seeing ourselves as we began, and recognizing all who have helped us. On the whole it is really a healthy community of people willing to encourage others to consider possibility.

Sometimes buying the trailer is easy, successfully adapting to a new life style is the harder part.

For all, please know we are always happy to share knowledge, a beverage and a light desert.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #40

Name: Raj
Trailer: Waiting for Escape 17B due soon
Florida
I was researching a 17' Escape Trailers & I was surprised to read that it weighs less than a comparable sized Casita 17 Deluxe.

The issue I have been pondering over is to get a suitable TT in the next few months when we finally retire. I would like to use our Lexus 350 with a towing capacity of 3500 Lbs as the Tow Vehicle, and opinions on this and other forums amounted to either upgrade the TV or get a 16' Casita Deluxe.

Escape 17' Plan B - Total Dry Wt. (1920 + 250) = 2170 lbs
Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe - Total Dry Wt. (2480 + 365). = 2845 lbs

Do I have these numbers right ?

Thus, is it OK to assume a similarly loaded Escape will be lighter than Casita. Say another 1000 lbs to include the Propane, all tanks filled and our personal stuff would make the loaded Escape around 3200 lbs which I think is doable with a towing capacity of 3500 lbs.

Although opinions may differ, I get the impression from reading the posts on the Escape Trailer Forum that although Escape is a little more money, it is a better made Trailer.
I would rather keep our present vehicle & buy a lighter TT.

What do you think guys & gals ? Can Escape owners please chime in about the weights of their loaded Trailers & what do they see better or like the most in their Trailers.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice/opinions on a Escape 17B vs a Casita 17 Deluxe coupled toa TV with the towing capacity of 3500 lbs.

Thanks & with best regards
Old 03-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #41

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I believe that Escape's dry weight will be less than the Casita's. I have to admit though, it won't make much difference in towing. You might feel it somewhat when towing up steep mountain grades, but that's about it. Oh, and the 17' Casita tends to be very heavy on the hitch due to the front bathroom and water tanks up there; it could be difficult to keep your tongue under 350 lbs. Beyond those factors it's mostly a matter of which brand you like better (Casita's carpeted walls vs Escape's gelcoat walls, and so on).
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #42

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Escape walls are not gelcoat. From Escape Trailer Industries site: insulated vinyl headliner/wall covering.