Total Newcomers here . - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #41

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I believe that Escape's dry weight will be less than the Casita's. I have to admit though, it won't make much difference in towing. You might feel it somewhat when towing up steep mountain grades, but that's about it. Oh, and the 17' Casita tends to be very heavy on the hitch due to the front bathroom and water tanks up there; it could be difficult to keep your tongue under 350 lbs. Beyond those factors it's mostly a matter of which brand you like better (Casita's carpeted walls vs Escape's gelcoat walls, and so on).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Escape walls are not gelcoat. From Escape Trailer Industries site: insulated vinyl headliner/wall covering.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #43

Name: Raj
Trailer: Escape Trailer - SOLD
Florida
Thank you Mike & Glenn,

The decreased tongue weight of the Escape will be some relief on the Rx 350.

Thanks for chiming in.
disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #44
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I believe that Escape's dry weight will be less than the Casita's. I have to admit though, it won't make much difference in towing. You might feel it somewhat when towing up steep mountain grades, but that's about it. Oh, and the 17' Casita tends to be very heavy on the hitch due to the front bathroom and water tanks up there; it could be difficult to keep your tongue under 350 lbs. Beyond those factors it's mostly a matter of which brand you like better (Casita's carpeted walls vs Escape's gelcoat walls, and so on).
Unless they've moved them, the Casita water tanks aren't up front. Okay, the black tank is under the toilet, but ours stays empty.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:51 PM   #45

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I stand corrected on multiple details! Wow. But if it's only the black tank up front, what makes front bath Casita 17s so hitch-heavy? It's a known fact that they are... but now I am wondering why. (Maybe a load of, er, crap? )

As for interior, I've been inside several Escapes (at a rally a couple years ago) and just assumed that the smooth white stuff in there was gelcoat. Anyway, it looked very nice, and like it would be easy to clean.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:00 PM   #46

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Total Newcomers here .

Quote:
...But if it's only the black tank up front, what makes front bath Casita 17s so hitch-heavy? It's a known fact that they are... but now I am wondering why...
My guess is a more rearward position of the axle. To my eye it looks to be set further back on the frame than older-design 16' Casitas and Scamps, perhaps to increase towing stability? Just a guess...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:43 PM   #47
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I stand corrected on multiple details! Wow. But if it's only the black tank up front, what makes front bath Casita 17s so hitch-heavy? It's a known fact that they are... but now I am wondering why. (Maybe a load of, er, crap? )

As for interior, I've been inside several Escapes (at a rally a couple years ago) and just assumed that the smooth white stuff in there was gelcoat. Anyway, it looked very nice, and like it would be easy to clean.
I agree they're heavy. The bath is surely part of it. Mine also has the AC in the front closet; and the fridge is forward of the axle. Plus, a pair of propane tanks on the tongue. It all adds up, I guess.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #48

Florida
DW loves her RX 350, so that is not getting replaced anytime soon.

I like my Avalon although it is getting old so either I replace the Avalon with an Acura MDX with a Towing Capacity of 5000 lbs and I have to check how much tongue weight it can carry.

Although we would not know what to do with sort of two large SUVs when we are using them as daily drivers when we are not towing. Kids are out of the house and it is just me & DW.

We are newcomers we are not so sure whether we will take to Rving or not. I think I probably will, DW is still not 100%, she is a Holiday Inn Camping kind of gal.

Another option is to pay some more money ( I think more, although I am not sure how much more) to get a Escape 17B, and continue with our two existing vehicles and take it one step at a time.

If we get to liking to RV, then we can buy bigger and better vehicles/RVs, other wise sell the Travel Trailer and that is it.

Now that I know quite some bookish information about a Casita 17 without seeing/or getting inside one, I will start researching a Escape 17B and see if it fits our existing RX 350.

I know it is not the typical route people take, or is advised, but for newcomers like us, let us start the journey with one purchase rather than two purchases at the same time.

What do you think ? would you do any different if it were you ?

I will appreciate if any Escape 17B owners would shine some light on our particular situation.

Thanks & with best regards to every body.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #49

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I'd advise you to just get what you think may work and proceed from there. You really won't know what the "perfect" trailer is for you until you've been out there doing it for a while.

So my advice is to get a trailer that will work with your existing tow vehicle and go from there. If you like the experience, then you can upgrade the trailer, or the tow vehicle, or both as you learn what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #50

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydoc View Post
I was researching a 17' Escape Trailers & I was surprised to read that it weighs less than a comparable sized Casita 17 Deluxe.

The issue I have been pondering over is to get a suitable TT in the next few months when we finally retire. I would like to use our Lexus 350 with a towing capacity of 3500 Lbs as the Tow Vehicle, and opinions on this and other forums amounted to either upgrade the TV or get a 16' Casita Deluxe.

Escape 17' Plan B - Total Dry Wt. (1920 + 250) = 2170 lbs
Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe - Total Dry Wt. (2480 + 365). = 2845 lbs

Do I have these numbers right ?

Thus, is it OK to assume a similarly loaded Escape will be lighter than Casita. Say another 1000 lbs to include the Propane, all tanks filled and our personal stuff would make the loaded Escape around 3200 lbs which I think is doable with a towing capacity of 3500 lbs.
Dry weights really don't mean a lot. Whats more important is what can you expect the trailer to weigh loaded for camping. Best practises is to add approx. 600/700lbs to a dry weight to come up with an approx. loaded weight. You will be surprised as to who much all the gear/personal items needed adds up.

The best thread on this whole list is the Trailer Weights in the Real World. This will give you a far better idea as to what you can expect a trailer to weigh once you put all your stuff in it.

Re pricing. Take a very close look at what each base price by manufacture includes and does not. A number of items that are included in the base manufacture of one brand may be an option on another. Do a spread sheet and price them out side by side - including the cost of all the optional items.

Also keep in mind when looking at the Escape that they are in Canadian funds - you will need to check out the current exchange rate to determine what that translates to in US funds. Canada is currently holding a 20% off sale on everything for US residents
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #51

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Total Newcomers here .

I'll second the idea of a 17' Escape and using what you have to tow it. The additional cost of the Escape would be more than offset by not having to purchase, insure, and feed an SUV as your second vehicle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #52

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Me thinks you need to make a decision on a TV first. The Avalon may have a towing limit as low as 1000 lbs, the RX-350 may be as low as 2000 lbs unless it already has the optional towing package.

Look in the owners manual for each for accurate numbers. On this topic "opinions" don't count, nor do weight limits shown for specific hitches. Check the book and let us know what year and model you have and what the book sez.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #53

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I have resisted joining this conservation until now but now I can't resist adding my advise to much already supplied.
Because your DW may not embrace RV camping (as many do not and would rather check into a Hotel and eat at gourmet resturants) and fact is most first time RV campers either trade up to something larger or elect out of the camping scene altogether within one or two years...I suggest you start with something your current vehicles can handle. Keep the start up costs low.
Second important thing is to explore different camping experiences in your first year. Keep driving long distances for later years. Camp at those resort style campgrounds first then try more rustic state park campsites on a lakefront.
The resort type camping will supply full hookups while the state park camping will put you in the more boondock set ups without hook ups but there will be water available to refill your tanks and restrooms if you need them.
I know my DW would not tolerate any RV Travel Trailer that did not have a bathroom with a tub/shower and hot water...discuss this before you buy anything. I personally would never buy a RV without a well equipped kitchen, a bathroom with shower, an A/C and a furnace. I'd also require a quiet generator for my favorite rustic lakefront state park camping!

Try to do a lot of research on ALL the RV camping trailers on the market and what they offer and what they weigh. Do not limit your search to one type of unit and try to look at as many used units of all types before you lock in on any one type or style of travel trailer...keep an open mind...visit a few RV dealerships. Keep in mind there are hundreds of Travel Trailers for sale out there both new and used.

Do some additional reading on other RV camping sites.
Try this one: irv2.com. There are many others.

Best of luck and enjoy the RV camping life!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #54
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydoc View Post

The issue I have been pondering over is to get a suitable TT in the next few months when we finally retire. I would like to use our Lexus 350 with a towing capacity of 3500 Lbs as the Tow Vehicle, and opinions on this and other forums amounted to either upgrade the TV or get a 16' Casita Deluxe.
Thanks & with best regards
Re your Lexus tow vehicle:

Good day Raj. The good news is that you have a very capable TV in the Lexus 350 plus the fact they apparently have a very modest tow rating of 3,500lbs.

On other forums they are easily towing at the 3,500 rating. There is also an interesting article about a 300 that towed a trailer all over North America plus a trip to Alaska. Knowing this one would believe your 350 would easily tow any glass egg trailer right up to the 3,500lb tow recommendation.

Pic below is the lighter duty Lexus 300 in Alaska. Note the connection hardware and set up is very important.
Attached Images

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #55

Note that the tow shown is also well over 3500 lbs, but that is the choice made by some on the dark side of towing.

BTW: Not all Lexus 350's are rated to tow 3500 lbs, some are as low as 2000 without the optional trailer package, which may be difficult to add/replicate after the fact.

Again, refer to the Owners Manual for your specific vehicle for towing limits.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #56
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Note that the tow shown is also well over 3500 lbs,
Not really Bob. Aluminum is very light. It looks like a mid 2,000, 22' Safari Sport which weighs 3,400lbs. If you travel light you are good to go.....

http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...78a01ee258.pdf

Also note..... while it is true that one must be aware,
it is also true that not every hiker gets eaten by a bear.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #57

Yep Dry weight = 3400 lbs Dry weight and with no options or stuff isn't going to be under 3500 lbs any more than a 13' Scamp is going to weigh 975 lbs. , going down the road.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:47 PM   #58

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Hi Raj,

I definitely feel safer in a campground than I do in a motel. I have been tent camping alone with my 3 kids for 2 years and we have not ever had any problems. The only annoyance has been loud campers in campgrounds occasionally but I think once we get in a camper it may help the noise factor a tiny bit with (thin) walls. Good luck and happy retirement to you.
shechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #59

Florida
I reserved a Escape 17B for February 2016, after seeing a 19B & liking the various features & the quality.

Thanks for the many posts & lot of info on this & escape forums, we got informed & educated about different fiberglass trailers & decided to go for a new Escape 17B.

We will have the challenge to drive up from central Florida to Chilliwack, Canada & that too in the cold month of February & then to drive back with the Trailer. Well, we will cross the bridge & deal with it next year.

Anyway, to choose the various options now. Thanks to several posters in helping me along the way

Best regards
Old 06-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #60

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Congrats!!!

If it makes you feel any better here in Escape land in February this year it wasn't actually all that cold. With most days in the 50's up to high 50's and not a drop of snow to be seen from here to the Rockies. Perhaps next winter will be the same for you.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote