Trying to decide between a Scamp and a Casita - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Charles E
Trailer: Looking for a Casita
Texas
Posts: 13
Trying to decide between a Scamp and a Casita

Hi, I am new here and I am looking to purchase a Casita or Scamp. Does anyone have any idea what the market share percentages look like between the two companies.

I see a lot of used Casita's for sale but for some reason not a lot of Scamps.

I am leaning toward a 16' Scamp because I have a Ford Escape and I like the interior height of the Scamp.

Since I am new to this I am amazed at this market and how hard it is to purchase new (6-7 month lead times) and how the prices hold up for used ones. But I suppose that's good news for resale.

Thanks

Charles
__________________

__________________
charleserwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Posts: 496
I do believe that Casita has a somewhat larger market share overall. However, it depends a lot on where you are. Since Casitas are built and sold in Texas, I assume that is why you see more Casitas on the used market near you. Scamps are built and sold in Minnesota, so up here in the upper midwest, Scamps prevail by quite a large percentage.

Both are great, and I wouldn't necessarily discount one over the other. Scamps do tend to be somewhat lighter, however, so if that is a critical issue it could sway your decision. Plus, since in a Scamp many of the features are options, it is possible to get a more stripped down version for a somewhat cheaper cost. Equally configured, however, they are very similarly priced.

Personally, I like the "rat fur" over the carpeting, but could get used to the latter.

Another major difference is that Casita "seals" the wood floor inside fiberglass, whereas Scamp impregnates their wood floor with fiberglass resin. Both have proven to be effective. The Casitas are not actually sealed however, since all the plumbing holes allow water to get inside the fiberglass. If this happens, then the wood can rot inside the fiberglass shell and be less noticeable until the problem is very extensive. Scamp's floor is more open and visible for monitoring, and, from my understanding, much easier to repair if a soft spot is found. Pros and cons, as in all things.

They are more similar than different, so I would feel comfortable just looking for what is available that appears to be in good condition if you are looking for used.

Also, don't rule out Bolers, Trilliums, Escapes, U-hauls, etc. All are very closely related and can offer a great deal, especially if you like to take on some projects.
__________________

__________________
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Charles E
Trailer: Looking for a Casita
Texas
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I do believe that Casita has a somewhat larger market share overall. However, it depends a lot on where you are. Since Casitas are built and sold in Texas, I assume that is why you see more Casitas on the used market near you. Scamps are built and sold in Minnesota, so up here in the upper midwest, Scamps prevail by quite a large percentage.

Both are great, and I wouldn't necessarily discount one over the other. Scamps do tend to be somewhat lighter, however, so if that is a critical issue it could sway your decision. Plus, since in a Scamp many of the features are options, it is possible to get a more stripped down version for a somewhat cheaper cost. Equally configured, however, they are very similarly priced.

Personally, I like the "rat fur" over the carpeting, but could get used to the latter.

Another major difference is that Casita "seals" the wood floor inside fiberglass, whereas Scamp impregnates their wood floor with fiberglass resin. Both have proven to be effective. The Casitas are not actually sealed however, since all the plumbing holes allow water to get inside the fiberglass. If this happens, then the wood can rot inside the fiberglass shell and be less noticeable until the problem is very extensive. Scamp's floor is more open and visible for monitoring, and, from my understanding, much easier to repair if a soft spot is found. Pros and cons, as in all things.

They are more similar than different, so I would feel comfortable just looking for what is available that appears to be in good condition if you are looking for used.

Also, don't rule out Bolers, Trilliums, Escapes, U-hauls, etc. All are very closely related and can offer a great deal, especially if you like to take on some projects.
Lyle, thanks. Thanks for the info on the floor. I had read where that was a drawback for the Scamp, but what you say makes sense. I may have to buy new since I notice that these trailers are posted and seemingly sold the same or next day. Plus, driving to look at a used one would be a full time job.

I like the 16' scamp because my Ford Escape has a tow rating of 3,500 LBs and I like the interior height since I am 6' tall.

Scamp is saying that the first available unit will be July. Wow, what a business. I may fly up to Minnesota and take a look at them before I buy.

Thanks again.
__________________
charleserwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 5,870
Registry
Casita's most popular trailer is their 17 fter.

The Scamp 16 is lighter , has more interior height and a wider aisle.
The narrower aisle on the Casita provides for deeper cupboards.
These two differences are negligible for most buyers.
A Casita 17 will tow a little harder than the Scamp, but Casita also makes a 16.
The Casita 17 has a flat entry door . Both the Scamp16 and Casita16 have contoured doors.
Scamp offers a Deluxe with wood cabinets and the wall covering on the Scamp is a system of reflextix and marine fabric. The Casita has foam backed carpet on the walls.

You MUST see the Scamp Deluxe with the wide bed and side dinette before you buy.

The Scamp has a resin soaked OSB floor and the Casita has a complete fiberglass tub bottom half with OSB reinforcement.

There are other trivial differences but both have a long history of very satisfied buyers and you will likely be pleased with your choice.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
A Casita 17 will tow a little harder than the Scamp, but Casita also makes a 16.

...

You MUST see the Scamp Deluxe with the wide bed and side dinette before you buy.
The 17' Casita is about 1000 pounds heavier and has twice the tongue weight of a 16' Casita (they lengthened it by adding a foot forward of the axle). Expect to have a tongue weight in the 400-500 lb range on a 17' Casita versus 225-250 lb on the 16' Casita. You do get some goodies with that weight - a bigger fridge and taller ceilings come to mind. I would be surprised if a 16' Scamp is not substantially identical to a 16' Casita in the towing department.

If you're towing with a full-size pickup with a class III hitch you won't care, but a lot of potential FG trailer tow vehicles aren't rated for tongue weights above 300 LB or so.

And yes, if you're buying new and you're not on the budget plan, then be sure to look at a deluxe Scamp interior before deciding on a trailer. I'll note that the 17' Escape I looked at recently also had a significantly nicer interior than Casitas come with.
__________________
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,352
Registry
Some data that may influence your choice:

AVAILABILITY
Scamp 16s are a lot more common than Casita 16s. Casita's biggest seller is far and away the 17'er.

WEIGHT
From the Trailer Weights in the Real World database*, the average total/tongue weight of a Scamp 16 is 2615/272, a Casita 16 (limited data) is 3040/270, and a Casita 17 is 3252/398.
*Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data

BED SIZE
The main bed in both 16'ers is 45"x76". The Casita 17 and Scamp 16 Deluxe (wood interior) models have a 54"x76" bed. The Casita Liberty (16' or 17') models give up the small side dinette for a much larger main bed that can be configured several different ways.

INTERIOR HEIGHT
A Casita 16 has 5'10" interior headroom. A Casita 17 has 6'1". A Scamp 16 has 6'2".
__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
Posts: 13
Before you decide, take a look at the Parkliner. www.parkliner.com
__________________
Thomasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasl View Post
Before you decide, take a look at the Parkliner. ParkLiner – Take me somewhere fun! ™
Parkliner is in N.W. North Carolina, we just bought one, and have found a lot of quality issues. They only make one model, a 15 footer. with queen size bed and side dinette. Interior furniture is all molded fiberglass.
In general, they don't skimp on the cost of materials. there are no screws or rivets penetrating the shell. Head room is about 6 ft 4"
__________________
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Posts: 12
trying-to-decide-between-a-scamp-or-casita

I was in the same delima several months ago. We decided on a Scamp 16 Deluxe due to the larger 54" vs 48" bed. Scamp has a larger fridge 4.9 ft3 vs 1.9 ft3. Also the Scamp has a screen door. The 16' Casita does not have a screen door. That's only available on the 17' Casita.
__________________
Ray R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Name: Charles E
Trailer: Looking for a Casita
Texas
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray R View Post
I was in the same delima several months ago. We decided on a Scamp 16 Deluxe due to the larger 54" vs 48" bed. Scamp has a larger fridge 4.9 ft3 vs 1.9 ft3. Also the Scamp has a screen door. The 16' Casita does not have a screen door. That's only available on the 17' Casita.
Thanks everyone. This is all very helpful. Right now I am leaning toward the Scamp 16'. I may have to buy new...seems like finding a used one is somewhat geographically challenging. All seem to go very quickly. Scamp says first availability is now July.
__________________
charleserwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:02 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 2,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleserwin View Post
Thanks everyone. This is all very helpful. Right now I am leaning toward the Scamp 16'. I may have to buy new...seems like finding a used one is somewhat geographically challenging. All seem to go very quickly. Scamp says first availability is now July.
You can put in your order and let them know to give you a heads up if someones order ahead of yours cancels out. There have been a few folks that were able to get a new rig months sooner when that happened.
__________________
Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: Larry
Trailer: 2010 13 ft Scamp
Michigan
Posts: 26
Looking at Scamp trailers in person

Charles, in one of your posts, you mentioned:

"Scamp is saying that the first available unit will be July. Wow, what a business. I may fly up to Minnesota and take a look at them before I buy."

No one mentioned a referral program that Scamp has:

If you call them up and mention where you live, they will look at their sales history and give you the names, addresses, phone numbers, and type of Scamp a customer bought that lives in your area. Then you can arrange to see that Scamp in person. Of course they contact the customer first to see if they want to participate. If you wind up buying a new trailer from Scamp, they will send a check for $50 to that person. This actually happened to me, and I got a check for $50 from Scamp.
In addition, if you already own a Scamp, and (without being initiated by Scamp) someone looks at your Scamp and buys new from Scamp, they will send you a check for $200. They give you brochures and you put your name on them when you buy your trailer. Not sure if you, the Scamp owner, has to have bought your Scamp new (i.e., not sure if this is true if you have a Scamp bought used.)
I've given away lots of brochures while camping. I've yet to go camping and not have someone come up to me and start talking. That's how I got into this whole world myself.

I went through the exact process you're going thru. I boiled it down to Scamp and Casita. At the time my tow vehicle required the lowest weight possible, and that tipped it to a 13' Scamp. I've since upgraded my tow vehicle, and now can tow anything. My choice would now be a 16' Scamp, or a 16 or 17' Casita. I wish I could change my trailer today. Don't make the same mistake.

Casita has a similar program. But, being in Texas, they had nothing in my area (Michigan) to look at. You should check with Scamp and Casita to see if they still have such referral programs.

Hope this helps !
__________________
Larry Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Posts: 496
Escape is even worse (better?) schedule problem. According to their website, the first delivery date for a 17 foot is Oct 30 or Nov 1. Almost an entire year lead time.

These backlogs are not at all uncommon, and is one of the primary reasons used prices remain so high.
__________________
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleserwin View Post
Hi, I am new here and I am looking to purchase a Casita or Scamp. Does anyone have any idea what the market share percentages look like between the two companies.

I see a lot of used Casita's for sale but for some reason not a lot of Scamps.

I am leaning toward a 16' Scamp because I have a Ford Escape and I like the interior height of the Scamp.

Since I am new to this I am amazed at this market and how hard it is to purchase new (6-7 month lead times) and how the prices hold up for used ones. But I suppose that's good news for resale.

Thanks

Charles
We have seen a lot more Casita's than Scamps when traveling and we have traveled a lot in the midwest and to Alaska twice. We have a 17 ft Casita and love it. The bed is full size. Some of the differences could be the Casita's all have bathrooms even most of the 13 ft do. Some Scamps do not have bathrooms at all. Fridges are different. Check out the holding tank capacities. Used to be quite different. The cushions are better quality in a Casita. Check out the A/C units. The Casita's have a heat strip in them. A real plus if plugged into shore power. Safer than the furnaces. Most Casita's we've seen look better after several years than the Scamps. Maybe some of this will help you. We've towed our Casita with a 4.3ltr in a Trailblazer. No problems even towing it over the mountains in Colorado where we live.
__________________

__________________
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
casita, scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me decide between a T@B Max and an egg type... CarltonC. General Chat 36 03-24-2015 09:35 PM
trying to decide Nancy L Hi, I am.... 25 11-17-2014 12:17 PM
Trying to decide on used Escape 17 or Casita 17 msu1966 General Chat 10 10-22-2014 04:38 PM
Trying To Decide How To Paint (Comments Please) glen coleman Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 9 04-17-2010 08:42 PM
Trying To Decide How To Paint (Comments Please) glen coleman Modifications, Alterations and Updates 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.