Two old to camp... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If I wanted to be uncomfortable, I'd have a tent.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:29 AM   #22

Name: Nick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Vermont
Don't get me wrong. We have an RV and most of our camping days are spent in it, but we still use a tent under some conditions. Yes there are compromises but we usually tent in pristine, beautiful locations in the deep woods, on islands and mountain tops where RVs cannot go. Not ready to let go of those experiences.

yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:40 AM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If I wanted to be uncomfortable, I'd have a tent.
our last couple years in a tent, we were pretty darn comfortable... we had a queen airbed in the inner part, and two chair plus a small table in the screen porch.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #24

Vermont
John, what kind of tent is that? We broke our LLBean King Pine tent and have been looking to replace it with another car camping tent as the King Pine is no longer made. I like yours as the vestibule is large enough for some chairs and a small table, like the King Pine. Does the fly cover the vestibule for rain protection? Secure against bugs?
Old 06-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #25

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Too old to camp?

I Loved reading all the interesting comments from people my age (74). I too have enjoyed camping most of my life. I found that early on, I used the European tents (Cabanon, etc) for most of my early exploits. I remember trekking up Mt Washington, NH one May with 2 friends and it got quite cool at night at the half-way point. When kids arrived and my then wife refused to go camping, I talked her into using an early Trillium to go to Florida, the East Coast (chincoteague) and New Brunswick. I recently found a T4500 that needed a lot of fixing which I started on. I have taken it on several short trips but the medic won't let me drive any more. If there is any lady driver that would be interested in joining me, I would love to hear from her and we can see if we can connect? I can take care of the maintenance and hook up the trailer to the tow vehicle. FYI I love RV life, sailing, water sports, cycling and skiing. Non-smoker. George in Toronto
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #26

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
I've noticed that toileting preferences is a topic that often draws lively discussion. Maybe in third place behind towing capacity and air pressure in trailer tires.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #27

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Toileting: a thing we always have with us...after doing sufficient research online and reading several threads on FGRV, some going to numerous pages, I began to feel as if the whole world is completely coated with a layer of...ah...the products of toileting from all species. And so it is. Helps make soil to grow plants including our dinners.

It is of universal and daily interest, and when one travels with pets, one has their effluvia and needs to cope with as well as one's own.

We talked to various rangers who all assured us if you pick it up in a plastic bag and deposit it in any of the campground receptacles, you will be in their good graces.

What really makes Paul boil is when someone does not pick up outside after their pet, or almost worse, picks up in a plastic bag, then heaves the bag off the path into the nearby bushes! Why? Ever so, WHY? Maybe the wind caught it and it was inadvertent...okay, understandable. Some areas one is simply NOT going to go off path for anything ("Don't leave the path!"--Gandalf)

Anyway, yes, toileting is of great interest. I liked your choice of topics #1 and #2...you're right, they also draw great audience participation.

BEST
Kai
Old 06-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #28

Name: Blaine
Trailer: Aritocrat Landcommander
Washington
I can't get my wife to understand that Fried Spam and Eggs is a breakfast delight!

Thanks. PS, the Title to this reply popped up and was so inappropriate that I left it in place. Some things are never fully explained or understood.
Woof70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #29

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokra View Post
I recently found a T4500 that needed a lot of fixing which I started on. I have taken it on several short trips but the medic won't let me drive any more. If there is any lady driver that would be interested in joining me, I would love to hear from her and we can see if we can connect? I can take care of the maintenance and hook up the trailer to the tow vehicle. FYI I love RV life, sailing, water sports, cycling and skiing. Non-smoker. George in Toronto
I think we need a forum category for "Lonely Hearts" on this website.
Sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
I started with a new, 17' 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe Travel Trailer that the 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan I then owned, was easily able to pull and control. It was a GREAT way to "test the waters". The Casita is simply a small studio apartment on wheels. It can sleep three, has a simple wet bath/toilet, basic kitchen and, with the optional furnace (which I did order) is very suitable for three season camping (I've met people who fulltime in their Casitas). I've since "graduated" to a 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB Super-C Class diesel puller motorhome. The DX3 is a true HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) and, I recently started fulltiming in it. Retired life is GOOD!
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #31

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1974 Hunter Compact II
Oregon
We have a porta-potty in our Hunter Compact II (for me) and a pee-bottle for my hubby to use at night. Just a way of life as we age. At least we are not trekking across the campground in the wee hours.
LarryTheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #32

Registry
Agreed, if you are properly outfitted, the only creatures that need to go outside during the "wee" hours are the doggies.

Paul calls his "wee" bottle "Thor." It has mighty capabilities, having once been a hospital "wee" volume calibrator, so it's sturdy and well-designed.

Kai
Old 06-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #33

Washington
Good stuff/advice. ty
Old 06-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #34

Washington
Thanks. Have admired Casitas for awhile.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We're in our 18th year RVing, on the road a majority of the year. We will be 76 in two months.

We have a 1991 Scamp 16 with a side bathroom. It's handy at night. I'm the more frequent user and sleep on the outside. When Ginny wants to use it I get up for her.

Midnight use of the bathroom has never been a problem, neither the toilet or getting up.

We've had the Scamp for about 8 years, previously we had a Casita and a Sunlight., all were about the same size. Before them we had a big motorhome, the small trailers are easier to drive and less expensive to own plus you can go places a motorhome can never go. .

We hope to have 10 more years on the road. An absolute good time, every time.

If you're in love, you'll be more in love.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #36

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Agreed, if you are properly outfitted, the only creatures that need to go outside during the "wee" hours are the doggies.

Paul calls his "wee" bottle "Thor." It has mighty capabilities, having once been a hospital "wee" volume calibrator, so it's sturdy and well-designed.

Kai
Naming your "wee" bottle--scary!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #37

Registry
The name came about when we were cleaning off the printed hospital markings and at one point were left with "T H O R". We decided we'd cleaned enough off and there was its name.

I should have made a note of what word would yield those letters, because I totally cannot remember. Don't know if it was the beginning, middle, or end of a word, either.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #38

Vermont
I use a jar that used to contain cous cous--not that ANYONE wants to know.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #39

Name: Jane
Trailer: Casita
Maine
And the flushing toilet is just one of the reasons my husband and I love our 2 year ago purchase of a 2001 16 ft Casita! Have taken it from Maine to Yellowstone, and just now got back from a 3 week visit to Montreal and Quebec City. Not the same experience of camping in our tent years - but small compact - and so much easier. Adventure and getting out to new wonderful spots.
2farthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #40

Registry
yardsale: not that anyone DIDN'T want to know...me, I read it as "that contains cous cous," and I thought, "YUK!" Until I re-read it and saw "USED TO contain cous cous." MUCH better.