UHaul CT13 coming our way soon... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
UHaul CT13 coming our way soon...

Greetings,
Haven't actually picked up our new-to-us camper yet, but should on Aug 28th. Previous owner got rear-ended while traveling with it, so repair work to be done to back panel(s). But, the price was very reasonable, and I do auto-body repair for a living, so should be a good fit for us.
Got back from a tent-camping vacation in CO 10 days ago--cut short by rain, chilly weather, and a dumpster-tipping black bear. Looking forward to an enclosed space, greater warmth when the weather isn't, and a lot more quiet and security than a tent.
Will be semi-retiring in 2015, so hope to have the little rascal up-and-running and in play for the spring/summer/fall.
All for now...
Gary [in central Iowa]
groys02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #2

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Minnesota
Congrats! You did get a good deal.... I seriously thought about buying it, but I don't need another project. Have fun with it!
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Welcome Gary! Please keep us posted on your renovation. I looked at that trailer, & it needs an auto body guy! Good for you. Enjoy!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Just don't make it Iowa State themed and expect to camp near my Uhaul .

Welcome (and I already welcomed you or your SO on Facebook). I was glad to see someone bring this back to camping and not watch it be parted out. Sounds like a perfect match!

Cindy L
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I'm so happy that you are bringing that little UH back to LIFE !!

I've also been following the saga on FB. It will be very interesting to see the FG repairs, never saw one damaged quite that badly before.

Welcome to FGRV !!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Gary.....be sure to document your rebuild with pics, start to finish
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #7

Iowa
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I agree that the repair work would be daunting for most folks--they'll most likely be challenging to me as well. But I have my own modest-sized shop, and have done fiberglass work before, so it should all be doable enough. And I DO hate to see things thrown away before "their time", so that's a gratifying thing to look forward to as well.

I'll have to sort out the picture-posting process--I only just glanced at the instructions when I registered. But I'll figure to start a re-build thread, and take pictures as I go along. Might be a bit before I start in earnest--3 urgent jobs to finish up for customers in the next couple months. All older vehicles that would look good with the camper in tow, for that matter. [49 Chevy pickup nearly done now... one the owner's grandfather bought new. Been fun to bring it back to solid & good-looking.]

No worries about Cyclone-mania themes in my rebuild. Not that I wouldn't root for them... just not much of a sports fan in general. I like to get AWAY from crowds and noise!

More news as it happens...

Gary
groys02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #8

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Welcome Gary,
I'll follow your progress on FB and here. Looks like you have the perfect skills to bring the CT-13 back to life.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #9

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Welcome GAry, can't wait to see your progress as well. Have also seen you on FB. I am sure we could all learn a lot from you.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #10

Iowa
Thanks for the vote(s) of confidence. I hope it's obvious I'm not meaning to boast at all about "bringing something back to life" that mere mortals couldn't do... just a job skill that uniquely fits this particular situation.

I'll have plenty to learn from lots of the folks on here and the FB site on various other aspects of the care of our new camper. I'm only marginally competent at wiring and upholstery stuff, for instance... and have already been learning different methods for going about sealing leaks around exterior lamps, or sourcing something useable for an original part that's no longer made.

I made calls yesterday to a couple independent insurance agencies, wondering what it would cost to insure the camper... pleasantly surprised to get quotes of $10-15/month.
The agents seemed a bit surprised by how "old" the camper was. I was just thinking that if it's an '85 (not sure), it's 16 years newer than anything I have in my shop right now! (And less than 1/2 as old as I am... but who's counting?)

Gonna be hard to wait for another week to pass...

Gary

Tags
uhaul