Using top coat marine Rustoleum paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: 2009 Monaco Holiday rambler Neptune
United States
Using top coat marine Rustoleum paint

We live in our motorhome full time , when using top coat marine rustoleum do you have to be out of your rv due to vapors ? How long ?
LPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #2

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Is that the above water version or the below water version. I understand that the below water version has a lot of copper in it to keep barnacles at bay.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I suggest a careful read of the label. I’d also look for a nonVOC paint if you want to occupy immediately. And any primer may be an issue too!

Certainly the paint I used both as a primer and top coat on my cabinet doors, I would not have recommended for immediate occupancy. In fact I had the doors out of the trailer for all painting and prep work, as well as a long dry time.

I thought that the rustoleum top side was an exterior paint. As such they may have put less effort into VOC control.

I worked in the emulsion polymer business for years (the base for paint). Our low and zero VOC products were much more costly. So paint companies tended to go with the cheaper stuff whenever they could.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Most of the VOCs will flash off within the first hour. That's about 99.9%. The remainder will take anywhere from 24 to 48 hours depending on temperature and humidity. Once it is no longer tacky to the touch you should be good to go.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #5

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Top Coat Marine Rustoleum Paint

OK Have a question as this is a first for me.
Is Top Coat Marine Rustoleum Paint better than plain Rustoleum Paint?
If it a better paint why??
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
What is the application? Top side is exterior paint, meant to paint fiberglass boats above the water line. You are talking an interior of a motorhome, not a boat, nor the outside of a molded FG trailer. I can't imagine it being the best choice.

In the paint business, you pay extra for certain performance capabilities like boat, fiberglass, and exterior.

My vinyl covered fake wood cabinet doors, I used a primer and then cabinet paint.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: 2009 Monaco Holiday rambler Neptune
United States
I will be using this top coat marine rustoleum to paint my fiberglass roof on my motorhome, I was just wondering if there was toxic vapors and if we needed to stay out of motorhome for a few days ?
LPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:20 AM   #8

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
The difference is that the Marine paint will self level better leaving a smother / shinier surface.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #9

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
I just used Rustoleum topside paint with a 4” foam roller and was impressed with the shine. There was some odor initially but not overwhelming. As long as it’s exterior, you shouldn’t have any issues. You do have to lay it down consistently -not too thin or thick -and keep moving. Once it levels don’t touch it until it dries otherwise you will dull the shine. Light sanding/clean between coats will ensure a good shine.
Scamp-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #10

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Yes, topside paint is better for fiberglass than regular Rustoleum paint. It's more flexible, for one thing.

Give it an hour or wo to fume off. The final residual fumes can take months to dissipate...but as some have pointed out, it's a very minimal residual.

I'd be inclined to paint it in the summer or when you can leave a window partly open all the time for a while...but chances are good it's not going to even make you sick briefly.

We love using Rustoleum Topside paint. And it's UV resistant, too. And it self-levels nicely. And it has a nice gloss but isn't overly shiny. You can mix the colors, too. No problem.

BEST
"K
Old 10-31-2019, 10:25 AM   #11

Name: Dany
Trailer: Bigfoot
Quebec
Rustoleum Marine Top Coat

Is that gel coat? From what you describe, it seems to be gel coat, such as we use for boat topsides. Gel coat has a smell, and it will take longer to vent out if it gets into porous surfaces, such as cushions or mattresses.

My advice would be to take out as much textile as possible: curtains, cushions, pillows, and the like. Move them to your car if you can, anywhere dry will do. Paint away, and don't re-touch the paint/gel coat once it's applied. Once it's no longer tacky (the can label will tell you how long that takes), you can bring back the mattresses and cushions etc.

That's how we did it in our sailboat, which, when you think of it, is no different than a trailer. Except for the wheels. And the sail. And the car. And...
dsalvail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint