Vanhamies - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #1

Name: Reino
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Vanhamies

Vanhamies is old man, in Finnish, I am 66 years worth in any language. My name is Reino. My wife Connie and I just bought a 13 foot Scamp and hope to do some local camping (in Minnesota) this summer and if we survive it we might try a longer trip to avoid some of winter next year. We are just learning the ins and outs of operating all the trailer's features, but so far our biggest challenge has been learning to back the thing up. Hopefully practice will cure that.
Vanhamies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, "Old Man"! Okay... sounds better in Finnish...

Backing will come with practice. Don't hesitate to pull forward and take another run. Because of the short length, a little steering input goes a long way. Go slow, and pretend nobody is watching... I started backing a tent trailer before I even had a driver's license. My parents weren't too fond of backing, so they would let me take over when we got to the campground, and of course I was happy to oblige! If it helps, a Scamp 13 is one of the trickier trailers to back due to its short length and curved sides.

Enjoy your first season, and may there be many more to come!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanhamies View Post
Vanhamies is old man, in Finnish, I am 66 years worth in any language. My name is Reino. My wife Connie and I just bought a 13 foot Scamp and hope to do some local camping (in Minnesota) this summer and if we survive it we might try a longer trip to avoid some of winter next year. We are just learning the ins and outs of operating all the trailer's features, but so far our biggest challenge has been learning to back the thing up. Hopefully practice will cure that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Gamla Gooben ! ( Old man in Swedish. ) I can call you that because I'm a lot older than you, and Swedish relatives came from Minnesota and North Dakota. We have a Scamp 13' and find it ideal for the way we travel , seeing as much as we can and only stopping at night. Main backing tip is to go SLOW ! A 40 ft van jack knifes slowly, do to length, but a short trailer jack knifes in two seconds if you back up too fast.I would suggest heading south for the winter; you can practice backing up as easily in the sun as in the rain ! And come to the Quartzsite (AZ) Gathering in Feb, meet 150 fiberglas trailers and new best friends! Also, check dates on tires and buy new if they are 5 years old or so, and check tire pressure every trip ! Good luck and drop me a line if you come to California. David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If you want practice find a big box store parking lot off hours and have at it. You will be impressing them at the park in no time I'm sure.

One pet peeve. Spouse stands in front on the side where the trailer blocks the drivers view in the mirror. Helper in front where you can see them, and off to the side where they can see the back corner of the trailer the driver can't.

I have a family member I'm not married to that would stand back in that blind corner at the back of the trailer and yell commands at the wall of the camper. Naturally these are totally unintelligible to the driver on the other side.

Easiest side to back into is drivers side. You can see the camper front to back on your side. Other side is hidden by the camper as your back end turns into the site. Locate where camper will fit and use the side you will be able to see as your guide. In parking lot practice just use the yellow lines for parking places to line up on. Edge of site gravel or tracks will be just the same as those lines.

Last but not least who cares about straight? Level I say level is what really matters!
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote