Very lucky new member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #1

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Very lucky new member

I've been following the forum for a while and I should have joined sooner. I'm glad to be here.

I consider myself very lucky. For years I had wanted a small travel trailer and had a few casual conversations with my wife about getting one but had not looked for one seriously. Out of the blue a casual friend asked if we were interested in buying one he wanted sell. It was just a chance encuounter at exactly the right time.

While I new lots about fiberglass boats,My knowledge of fiberglass trailers was zip.

The trailer is a 17.5 Bigfoot with center bath and it was about 15 miles from home. The seller was the origional purchaser and the trailer came with lots of extras as well as all the factory paperwork. The trailer had been in storage for 8-10 years and needed a good cleaning, new tires and a battery. The seller discovered the refrigerator didn't work and made a price adjustment and we were both happy. Two days after my first conversation with the seller, the trailer was sitting in my driveway.

I have read some of the posts about fourm members search efforts and long drives to look at trailers. I'm lucky, mine found me.

My luck continued when I found this forum. I was looking for advise on RV refrigerators. Since then I've picked up lots of answers to questions by researching this forum.

My wife is Kathi and our dog is Jillaroo. We hope to meet some of the forum members sometime soon.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Jack, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

Love the story... especially this: I have read some of the posts about fourm members search efforts and long drives to look at trailers. I'm lucky, mine found me. Some would say... ain't that the truth!

Hope you meet you someday, there's always several gatherings going on in Oregon and Washington, in fact... there's one next weekend! WAG, Tadnipam June 7-9
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Welcome to the fold. I drove 800 miles one way to get mine. It was a good trip with my 80 year old dad, though. So it was with worth every mile!
Hope you have many great trips with your!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #4

Washington
Thanks for the words of welcome. I hoped to go to Tadnapam but I cracked some ribs last week. Sleeping in the Bigfoot will not work for now. I'll try to get a reservation at Bullards Beach forJuly 18-21.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Thanks for the words of welcome. I hoped to go to Tadnapam but I cracked some ribs last week. Sleeping in the Bigfoot will not work for now. I'll try to get a reservation at Bullards Beach forJuly 18-21.
Jack bummer about the injury... truly, if you can't get into the Oregon Gathering, maybe you can make the Fall NOG? Check out this link: Oct. 10-13, 2013: Fall NOG 2013 – Northern Oregon Gathering - Casita Travel Trailer Forum

Hope to meet you!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Hi Jack,
Lucky you!! We saw our BF in a driveway and asked to have a look. Older couple who decided to get out of camping and 3 weeks later we had it. This one was about 20 miles from us. A small point and I may be wrong, but I thougth the 17.5 first year was 2005 so does that mean this is a 2005?
Also how wide is your couch/bed in bed mode. Our 2003 center bath is only 40 inches wide, but we make do. I've heard the 17.5 rear bed is strangely the same width. I had assumed the bed would have been made wider.
Have fun!
Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Hi Jack, and welcome aboard.

Congrats on picking up your trailer. I wish all transactions went that smooth. Lots of enjoyment ahead now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #8

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1300 Boler -The Pine Cone
Ontario
Registry
Hi Jack
Welcome to our community! We drove 6 hours to view our camper and never regretted a moment since. These fiberglass campers are what you make it and I'm sure you will enjoy getting away with it.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #9

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
I can appreciate having one "find you". Mine fell in my lap when a FB friend announced he was going to sell his Casita early one Sunday morning. He only lived a few miles away and it was mine within an hour of his posting it for sale. (-:}

Hope you have as much fun with the Bigfoot as we've had with the Casita.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nowak View Post
Hi Jack,
Lucky you!! We saw our BF in a driveway and asked to have a look. Older couple who decided to get out of camping and 3 weeks later we had it. This one was about 20 miles from us. A small point and I may be wrong, but I thougth the 17.5 first year was 2005 so does that mean this is a 2005?
Also how wide is your couch/bed in bed mode. Our 2003 center bath is only 40 inches wide, but we make do. I've heard the 17.5 rear bed is strangely the same width. I had assumed the bed would have been made wider.
Have fun!
Tony
I just double checked. It's not a 17.5, It's a B17CB and indeed, the rear bed is 40 inches. wide. My Bigfoot was built in September 1993 and is titled as a 1994. I hope Bigfoot added the extra space in the newer ones in the shower. The rear bed is narrow but the shower is worse. I'm not sure why I thought this was a 17.5. Tony, thanks for pointing this out. I joined this forum to learn and it's wokring.

In the short time I've owned it, Ive had two people stop at the house and try to buy it. I live on a street with little traffic.

Does yours have a straight or drop axle? Mine has a 4 inch drop axle and I'm thining of replacing it.

Hope to meet you sometime soon.

Jack
Old 06-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Perhaps you used up all your good luck in finding the trailer!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #12

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps you used up all your good luck in finding the trailer!!
I was working on the house when I should have been working on the trailer.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #13

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Welcome to the forum Jack and congrats on the BigFoot in the driveway!
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Welcome! And a big congrats on your purchase! But I am gonna have to get snippy with you........................ Pictures, Pictures, Pictures of your new BF! We like pic's here!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #15

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Jack, welcome to the family. How about some pictures when you get time. I only had to drive 2 1/2 hours to find my 5er. Sorry to hear about the injury. But hopefully brighter sunny days are in the futue. again. Congrats on the Bigfoot purchase.