VW Westfalia versus Boler-13' - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #41

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by franck2cv View Post
So I searched for a Trillium 1300 for sale locally, found one, one mile from my office.... The owner was home all day, I went to see it straight away. Not to buy of course, ....
And why not? Do you have any idea how many people would love to be in your shoes??? Gad, some people have to drive HOURS just to go see a trailer and find out it's not as advertised.......
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #42

Name: Franck
Trailer: Westfalia
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And why not? Do you have any idea how many people would love to be in your shoes??? Gad, some people have to drive HOURS just to go see a trailer and find out it's not as advertised.......
Yes, we hear this type of story all the bloody time!

Actually, the idea is evolving towards buying a very cheap one and restore/customize it to our taste....
Would anyone help me finding website/blog or thread with Trillium restorations.
Sort of step by step type of site to give me a clearer idea of what is involved (skills & Money!). Cheers

F.
franck2cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #43

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
You may want to send a message to David Tilston and dave (dylemma) or search on their names to see their previous posts. David Tilston owns several Trilliums and dylemma is in the process of renovating his.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #44

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Would anyone help me finding website/blog or thread with Trillium restorations.
Sort of step by step type of site to give me a clearer idea of what is involved (skills & Money!). Cheers

F.
As far as I know, there isn't any step-by-step tutorial available for any particular brand. However, you're on the best site to get help (IMHO). There are lots of kind and helpful people here to answer your questions and provide guidance. It really gets down to your budget, skill level, what you start with and finish expectations.

Just remember, ALL the brands are more alike than different. Whatever fix works for one brand, most likely, will work for a different brand.

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #45

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Claude View Post
You may want to send a message to David Tilston and dave (dylemma) or search on their names to see their previous posts. David Tilston owns several Trilliums and dylemma is in the process of renovating his.
Some great pictures and info! Cheers
Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #46

Quebec
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As far as I know, there isn't any step-by-step tutorial available for any particular brand. However, you're on the best site to get help (IMHO). There are lots of kind and helpful people here to answer your questions and provide guidance. It really gets down to your budget, skill level, what you start with and finish expectations.

Just remember, ALL the brands are more alike than different. Whatever fix works for one brand, most likely, will work for a different brand.

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Already, I can't believe how much I shared and learned in just under two weeks. I'm well impressed.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #47

Quebec
Santa ....

The project is settling in but... being Christmas and all, it's all about dreams and fantasies, I thought I'd ask Santa for the perfect FG Trailer.
Here's a quick rendering just for fun!

Happy holidays

Franck
Attached Thumbnails
triilium_west_xmas.jpg  
Old 12-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #48

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I live and teach school in Las Vegas but my family is in Spokane 1150 miles away. The first part of June every year when school gets out, and the temperatures are consistently hitting 100 Fahrenheit, until late August I head North. Having 2 small dogs and not wanting to be a burden on others I need my own place while on the road. For the first several years I owned a 22' Toyota/Seabreeze and I really loved it. It could be parked most anywhere and it wasn't horrible on gas (22r 4 cyl auto 12-15 mpg avg). The thing I didn't like was when I wanted to stay in one place more than a few days. It had to be unhooked and loaded up to go out to eat or run to the store. Another problem occurred while traveling in hot weather, I couldn't leave my dogs in the vehicle while I went shopping, eating, sightseeing, etc, etc.

I then discovered my first fiberglass. It was a late 70's Trillium 4500. Like most on here I set about making improvements and soon had a nice little camper that only lowered the hwy mpg in my 2005 Chev Colorado 5 cyl auto from a high of 23 mpg to about 18 mpg. This was much better mileage then the Toyota which made a huge difference over the many thousands of miles I travel each summer. On top of that I had more power, a more modern comfortable vehicle, and best of all I could park the camper, keep it plugged in, and take trips out to eat or sightseeing. Plus I didn't have to smog, maintain, store, register, and license two motor vehicles.

After a while I started taking my gal on trips with me and it worked best for us to have a little more room and a BATHROOM. We decided to look for a bigger rig. I bought a 19' Aljo stick built 5th wheel, about 4000 lbs, and although very comfortable, mpg (10-12 mpg)took a huge tumble. I then decided to come back to fiberglass if I could get many of the amenities that I was getting with the stick built. I bought a project 19' Scamp and am in the process of modifying it and making it mine. On the trip home the 19' Scamp avg 16 mpg and towed wonderfully.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #49

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Like the fact we can unhook and drive around, easier to drive down a back road in the car than a camper, and you have all you need when you return to the trailer
Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #50

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
Quote:
The project is settling in but... being Christmas and all, it's all about dreams and fantasies, I thought I'd ask Santa for the perfect FG Trailer.
Here's a quick rendering just for fun!

Happy holidays

Franck
i have a 73 westy and a surfside........

You should not put ideas out like this out there as it is very tempting to do this reno. (top bunk more head room)

lol
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #51

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post
i have a 73 westy and a surfside........

You should not put ideas out like this out there as it is very tempting to do this reno. (top bunk more head room)

lol
Tempting I know.... Well, that's what a forum is all about, isn't it?
A bit of teasing doesn't harm either!
I personally would love to see it done. I'm even surprised, considering the popularity of the westies, not to see modern trailer with this feature.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #52

Quebec
Van for sale

Procrastination over! .... I decided to sell the VW !
No rush though. I will be on the market for a Trillium 13' as soon as the van is sold.
Thanks again for your contribution.

Franck
Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #53

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Franck, Good choice. I have noticed though that Trilliums, (maybe all trailers?) are quite a bit more expensive in Quebec then other provinces in Canada. You might want to look in Ontario. I got a good deal on a Trillium 4500 there, ($3100). You might want to include the 4500 in your search. It is not much more weight, exactly the same frontal area, and slightly bigger inside, (less head room though).
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #54

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Franck, Good choice. I have noticed though that Trilliums, (maybe all trailers?) are quite a bit more expensive in Quebec then other provinces in Canada. You might want to look in Ontario. I got a good deal on a Trillium 4500 there, ($3100). You might want to include the 4500 in your search. It is not much more weight, exactly the same frontal area, and slightly bigger inside, (less head room though).
Thanks David. I set up email alert on Kijiji with the largest distance possible (1500 kms I think...) So Ontario is indeed very likely to be the current home of our future FG camper! I came across a few 4500 online or on campground and I have to discard the option. Garage space issue and weight. The difference behind the car is negligible but it's more the 'by hand manoeuvrings' that I'm concerned about. I didn't know about the headroom though. I'm 6'2" so it's an important factor (and the reason the Boler is out! sadly). Oh and by the way... $3500 sounds like a great deal !! Well done.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #55

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
At 6'2, you may be rubbing your head in a 1300, and the bed will likely be a bit cramped as well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #56

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
At 6'2, you may be rubbing your head in a 1300, and the bed will likely be a bit cramped as well.
Well, it's not ample but I can stand in the 1300 bare foot. Bed, OK too, better than the VW actually. I went to see a Trillium for sale locally last September, just to validate those, somewhat important, factors!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #57

Quebec
Vw sold !

That's it.... Sold last night.
Now on the market for the ideal Trillium !!
Attached Thumbnails
moka_front_left.jpg