Wa-hoooooo! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #1

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 17' Casita FD
Massachusetts
Wa-hoooooo!

We picked up our Casita today.
About a month ago melissab posted about a Casita she saw while camping, I think in Sebring, FL. The couple that owned it had bought it new 6 years ago, and were now deciding that it was time to stop camping. They were going to sell their beloved Casita FD. While the price was more than we initially planned on spending, the trailer sure looked nice in the photos, and in talking to the owners I could tell they took care of it like we would. There were also a lot of extras included, as they were not getting another camper; many accessories were going with the trailer. We were a bit nervous buying a trailer at a distance, but everything felt good about this one. We commited to the purchase, as we had a trip planned to FL in March...although we were going to fly initially. As it worked out, Robin drove down earlier, and I flew down when I got off work this week. Today was the day, and we drove the final 120 miles with great anticipation. Well, we are absolutely thrilled with this Casita. It is PERFECT for us. And the condition; well, it's hard to tell it's not new. We're towing with a 1999 Grand Cherokee; it got 17-18mpg from MA to FL. Towing today we went 120mi and got 12-13mpg. Not too bad. I expect with steady driving on highway it might get close to 14. The GC has the 4.7 V8. The Casita towed like a dream. It came with a complete WDH. In the photos you'll see the trailer is a bit high up front; we've since adjusted the hitch after reading the instructions and measuring vehicle sag, etc. It's now level and still tows fine. We've got some estate business to handle here for a few days, then we'll be heading north; maybe on Monday. We planned a nice leisurely ride north, taking 4 nights and 5 days. Maybe we'll work on a trip report showing our experience on the first trip. This will be new for us; when younger we were avid backpackers and tent campers, but we've never had a camping trailer or RV. A new adventure begins!
One of the photos shows the previous owners, Bob & Judy on the left; Robin & I are on the right (yup, we'd be the ones with the big grins). Other photos are from when we stopped for a stroll at Lake Parker.
Attached Thumbnails
c1.jpg   c2.jpg  

c3.jpg   f1.jpg  

GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Congratulations Gerry & Robin , let the memories begin!

And thanks for posting the pictures, I especially like the one with the big ole grins

PS: time to change your profile!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hey, that's just great. I'm sure Bob & Judy are relieved to have found their beloved Casita a good home. What an absolute delight! Best wishes for the 2012 camping season!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
We're all happy for ya! Is it a bath or a no-bath model?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Oh yes, it's got the bath. We wanted to get one with it as we will do some boondocking. There's more room than I expected in there. How the heck do they fit it all in? Reminds me of the Tardis, but better lookin'!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #6

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Gerry, that's a real beauty! Nice photos. You are on your way to big adventures for sure.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
YEAH!!! So happy it all worked out and a member here was able to get this beautiful trailer from such wonderful people! Congrats again and lets the memories begin!

Melissa
Old 03-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #8

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Wonderful! I'm sure you will make many happy memories in this beautiful camper. Keep us posted.......
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Congratulations!

In one of your pictures, it looks like the trailer sits a bit high in front when hooked to your tow vehicle. You might get a bit better mileage and handling if you can adjust your hitch height with a slight drop in the ball hitch. They make a lot of different size drops, so put a jack under the tongue of the trailer and get it level. Measure how much it is below your current ball hitch and get the appropriate new piece. These are available at lots of places, like WalMart, PepBoys, etc.

Have fun!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #10

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Congratulations!
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #11

Massachusetts
Kevin,
Already done. I explained in my first post that it was high from the PO's vehicle. After reading all the hitch directions yesterday I adjusted and lowered it. It looks nice now.
-Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Congratulations!

In one of your pictures, it looks like the trailer sits a bit high in front when hooked to your tow vehicle. You might get a bit better mileage and handling if you can adjust your hitch height with a slight drop in the ball hitch. They make a lot of different size drops, so put a jack under the tongue of the trailer and get it level. Measure how much it is below your current ball hitch and get the appropriate new piece. These are available at lots of places, like WalMart, PepBoys, etc.

Have fun!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #12

Massachusetts
Thanks everyone!
We stopped in at a Camping World today to get a new vent cap. Bob (PO) mentioned that it was weakened from the sun. He was right, it easily cracked when I took it off. So how does a stop for a $5 part at Camping World turn into $200+?
I bet it's not that unusual. Robin had to get a *few* items to stock the trailer for our trip north.
-Gerry
Old 03-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Congratulations! It is always good to hear a story with a happy ending and these days, they are hard to come by so thank you!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
So how does a stop for a $5 part at Camping World turn into $200+?
-Gerry
Yeah, drat those RV candy stores!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Congratulations Gerry & Robin and welcome to Fiberglass
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #16

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Congratulations Gerry & Robin
Hope you have many happy memories on the road. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and get the same MPG. Dont be afraid to ask questions here as everyone loves to help. Especially about different campgrounds/RV parks.
Keep the photos coming.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #17

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
nice rig....nice photos...

welcome!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #18

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
Congratulations. Enjoy.
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #19

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Congrats on your new egg. I am so happy for you, it wasn't long ago I was in your shoes all totally excited. Mine needed a little tlc but its looking great and it so much fun. Although the day it was about 40 degrees and spent 2 hours picking the old stickers off was not so fun....anyway I totally understand the camping store situation. Happens to us every time we go!
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote