Wanabe Bigfoot owner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Kjs

Name: Kurt
Trailer: Shopping
Pennsylvania
Thanks to both of you for your answers and experiences.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #16

Name: Patricia
Trailer: In the Market
Oklahoma
Winter Package on Bigfoot

How can you tell if a particular Bigfoot has the winter package (I am considering 2000+ models). Is there actually a switch for tank heaters? Also do the double pane windows hold up pretty well on these or do they tend to fail/fog over time?
What things would you carefully look at if you were purchasing a used one? Thanks!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #17
jck

Name: James
Trailer: Big Foot
Colorado
Patricia,
I haven't had any problem with the double pane windows. The tanks are enclosed below the trailer and the area is heated with ducts from the forced air heater.There is no switch because Bigfoot doesn't use electric tank heaters on the four season package. If you find double pane windows and enclosed tanks you have a four season trailer. I believe most 2000 or newer models will be four season.
When I was searching it was evident when a trailer was in good shape. With any older trailer there may be the need to replace/repair appliances. It is also wise to plan on spending on upgrades such as LED lights/solar etc. I would also check the axles, tires, bearings, and hitch assemble. Be sure to check the roof to make sure it was maintained and there are no leaks.
If you have the opportunity fill the fresh water tank and check to see if all of the plumbing is operational including the hot water heater. Jim
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #18

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
The only way you will know if the tanks are heated is to look under the trailer. If you see the tanks they are not heated. If you see a large black cover they will or should be heated. Bigfoot routed a furnace duct into the tank area to keep them warm. I have a 2001 Bigfoot 21 RB no heated tanks. Not all 2000 or newer were 4 season. My 2001 is our 7th Bigfoot Trailer.
Chuck
Old 02-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
1985 Bigfoot model B19 DEL Tandem axle , RARE model B19 DEL Bigfoot Travel Trailer | Chatham, ON, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #20

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I am currently tiling the kitchen wall in a 1985 Bigfoot 19ft dual axle, these are rare in the US.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
Kjs

Pennsylvania
Bigfoot / Casita tank question

Can anyone tell me what size black water tank is in a 90's era 17ft travel trailer? It was only recently I discovered a 2000 that was in my price range but I decided not to pursue it due to only having a 7 gallon black tank. I know they went to 21 gal tanks in 2005 but I cannot afford one of those at this time? Also, can a casita owner tell me what size black tank they used in a 2006 spirit deluxe? Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjs View Post
It was only recently I discovered a 2000 that was in my price range but I decided not to pursue it due to only having a 7 gallon black tank.
That's so easy to "fix" for $20 or so... a DIY tote.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Kurt I dont have an answer for you but I would be surprised if the black water tanks in the 17.5 Bigfoots built in the 90's where more than 7 or 8 gallons. As Donna says the answer to the problem is simple and pretty cheap. Honestly a black water tank is actually one of those items where bigger isnt always better.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #24
Kjs

Pennsylvania
Thank you for your replies and I would agree with you if I was planning on camping with at least a dump station available at all times. However our goal in a few years is to go on the rd for 6 months and utilize boondocking and national forrest lands as much as possible so I do not want the hassle of having to dumpevery 2 - 3 days. Would rather be able to be able to go at least a week.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #25

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Lets see how do I put this.

Solids you could go a week without problems.
Using black tank more than really needed there is nothing out there that will help.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
The only viable boondocking toilet is a composting unit. Just add peat moss.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #27

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Or, an outhouse works good too, if you can dig a pit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjs View Post
I do not want the hassle of having to dumpevery 2 - 3 days. Would rather be able to be able to go at least a week.
Well having done a fair bit of doom docking all I can say is that even with two people in the trailer I have never had to drain off the black tank in just 3 days even though its a small - 9 gallon black tank (maybe less). If you use a portable tote you can drain it off and just leave the tote under the trailer until the end of the week and dump it when you take the trailer to the dump station to empty all your tanks. I actually find that I tend to have to drain my grey water tank long before the black water tank when boon docking, even though it is much larger tank, due to using the shower in the trailer when doom docking. Getting a bigger black water tank unless I was living in a trailer full time and never moving it wouldn't be something I would consider paying way more for or changing my trailer type over.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot