Warm Hello From Texas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 12:03 AM   #1

Name: Lillian
Trailer: In the Market
Texas
Warm Hello From Texas

Hello from Austin TX!
I recently stumbled upon the wonderful world of molded fiberglass RVs and am so glad I finally showed up to the party.
My partner and I are currently in the market for lightweight and well-designed travel trailer for our move up to Alaska this Summer.

I have recently fallen in love with Casitas (made here in Rice, TX) but unfortunately my partner, who is 6'3" drug his head across the ceiling as we were touring one. No go. Now I am thrilled to have found Egg Campers. With an internal clearance of 6'7" I think we have a winner! Sadly, the factory has postponed production.

We need to be on our way by May 31st so if anyone has any links to one for sale within the lower half of the United States, we would greatly appreciate the assistance.

Looking forward to the hunt, and being part of the fiberglass community.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:32 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian.Brae View Post
Hello from Austin TX!
I recently stumbled upon the wonderful world of molded fiberglass RVs and am so glad I finally showed up to the party.
My partner and I are currently in the market for lightweight and well-designed travel trailer for our move up to Alaska this Summer.
I have recently fallen in love with Casitas (made here in Rice, TX) but unfortunately my partner, who is 6'3" drug his head across the ceiling as we were touring one. No go. Now I am thrilled to have found Egg Campers. With an internal clearance of 6'7" I think we have a winner! Sadly, the factory has postponed production.
We need to be on our way by May 31st so if anyone has any links to one for sale within the lower half of the United States, we would greatly appreciate the assistance.

Welcome to FGRV Lillian. Seems most folks with molded trailers spend most of their time outside. Most of the time when you're inside you're sitting, cooking or sleeping so the ceiling height really doesn't make a big difference overall. Just getting in or out of most of them is a head knocker until you learn to duck . The bed length would be a bigger item to me.
Good luck in your search.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Be careful here. The published headroom figures are often based on the measurement at the highest point in the trailer. The Bigfoot 17 that I own has a manufacturers claim of 6'6", but that is at the highest point. The roof is curved so the outer edges are several inches lower than the center. Under my AC unit the clearance is slightly less than 6'. The bathroom has a raised floor to accommodate the necessary plumbing and the headroom here is several inches shy of 6'.

As Borrego Dave said, bed length is important and overall height is equally important at least to me. Overall height effects wind resistance. Another thing to consider that will affect overall height is ground clearance. Overall height can be kept to a minimum if you keep ground clearance to a minimum but on a trip to Alaska I would think extra ground clearance would be important.

I hope I haven't discouraged you , and welcome to the forum.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Warm Hello From Texas

Welcome, Lillian!

EggCampers are very limited production, rare on the used market, and all-electric, which could be a problem in AK. Ditto Lil Snoozy.

Parkliner is another tall-people-friendly option, and they have LP systems, but they are just restarting production after a change in ownership. Used units are rare.

Given your short time window, this is not going to be easy. Escape 17B and Bigfoot 17 are two other options with a bit more headroom and larger beds. Neither will be easy to snag on the used market.

Around here, folks over 6' are considered "height-challenged"...

Best wishes finding something that will meet your needs!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #5

Name: Lillian
Trailer: In the Market
Texas
Headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

EggCampers are very limited production, rare on the used market, and all-electric, which could be a problem in AK.
Thank you for the wonderful feedback.

Even though we will be spending most of our time outdoors, it is really important that my partner be able to stand up straight as we will be full-timing (for four months at a time).

We are closely considering the Egg Camper but weighing the concerns brought on by this thread. Ground clearance is something to consider as the Alaskan Highway is primitive at best the further north one goes and riddled with potholes. We'll have to take it slow. Given the scenery, shouldn't be a problem!

The all-electric configuration shouldn't be a problem on our way there. We plan to purchase a generator for any off the grid camping we plan to do once we arrive. I read online that oil becomes thicker in cold weather. Is this a problem you were referring to, Jon?
Old 03-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
If you care to see a very large sample of fiberglass trailers, drive out to Bandera, TX April 23 and walk thru the Bluebonnet Rally.

Bluebonnet Casita Rally - Home
Old 03-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
eggcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian.Brae View Post
Hello from Austin TX!

I live in northeast Texas ands have an eggcamper. You can email me direct if you need some info. wfreeman at wb4me.com I got mine in 2007 as the kit version .
Weldon
weldon freeman is offline   Reply With Quote