We love our li'l Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

Name: Rosie
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Manitoba
Smile We love our li'l Boler

We are in love with our li'l Boler. We have big dreams for the li'l guy but are not sure where to start.

There is loads of information on this site!

Here are some of the things we'd like to sort out and other things we'd like to do, but don't have the skill, money or time to do. Ah, to dream...
  • paint the exterior. Gel coat or paint or truck liner?
  • transform the front into a dinette and the rear into a wider semi-permanent bed.
  • Paint the cabinetry. (This we can handle!)
  • Figure out how to stop things from shifting during travel.
  • Install a storage box on front hitch
  • Figure out if if is possible to travel with 17' kayaks AND the boler
  • Get cushions reapholstered and curtains to match
  • change the windows out
  • Oh sooo many things to do in such a tiny space!
In the mean time we'll head out as is and have a great time doing it in Retro Style!

Cheers,
TravelBuzz
travel_buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Rosie, welcome to FiberglassRV! You've got quite a list going and you're going to find lots of helpful and kind people here that will give you ideas that may help. AND, you need to know... we love pictures! Please share when you can.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Welcome Rosie! As Donna said we would love to see pictures of your Boler.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel_buzz View Post
We are in love with our li'l Boler. We have big dreams for the li'l guy but are not sure where to start.

Here are some of the things we'd like to sort out and other things we'd like to do, but don't have the skill, money or time to do. Ah, to dream...
  • transform the front into a dinette and the rear into a wider semi-permanent bed.
  • change the windows out
In the mean time we'll head out as is and have a great time doing it in Retro Style!

Cheers,
TravelBuzz
How to make thing stop shifting:
1.wedge!
"Are we ready to go?"
"Yes, I just have to wedge things, won't be long now!"
Things on the floor under the dinette, like coolers, are snugged in with sleeping bags, foam mats, rain jackets, etc. A backpack with shoulder straps or belt can be wound around a table leg for the finishing touch.
2. securify!
Most of the cupboard locks on our 1977 17 foot Boler have failed, won't stay clicked. Oversize twist ties, an old curly phone cord work well to stretch and wrap around the cupboard handles -- not too tight.

The Flying Drawer under the fridge and the "coat closet" each have washroom door-styled locks attached on the outside.

Bankers boxes fit nicely under the bottom bunk at the rear, and a two-by-four fits between them and the kitchen cupboard/fridge area bottom, then is stashed along the kitchen counter when we are at rest.

Fridge door came equipped with a mod from the previous owner, a strangely strong string that stretches a bit then holds. Along the top where it opens to the hinge. (I forgot to secure that one day and the fridge door opened, bounced out some Tupperware which flew fast enough to dislodge the lid of the seafood stew. It was The Revenge of the Chowder splattered through-out the interior.

We take some mighty rough roads, decommissioned logging roads, pot-holed, twisty-turny rutted bumpy bits abound.

What is your tow vehicle? We have one 18 foot canoe and one 16 foot kayak we put on top of our Silverado, with custom-made holders to easily slide them into place, then tie down with buckled straps.

What is the nature of your love for your Boler? I love ours like it was, hmmm, a pet, a big goofy loyal dog.

If you like, I can tell you about our 30-year-old upholstery, Oliphant, and why we should respect Ancient Boler Wisdom.

Welcome!
Char
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #5

Name: shannon
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
https://www.traveltrailermakeover.com/

Hello,
I can help you with new covers and curtains.
check our my website Professional customizable RV upholstery

Quote:

• change the windows out

Cheers,
TravelBuzz
shan.mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hey shannon..nice stuff. have you considered posting your website on the new commercial forum???
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:04 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Another Bolerite! Right on!
Welcome to fiberglass RV.

A new axle and a little slower speed helped to keep things in place. Like Charlynn, We carry a 17 1/2 foot canoe or a kayak on the roof of the tug with no problems. That makes it easier to transport to the waters edge if you don't have a shoreline campsite.
Take your newfound friend to a Bolerama gathering and meet and see what others have done to theirs.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
if your going to paint it yourself, duplicolour sells premixed acrylic enamel thats easy to spray. you can get it all over,,, even meijers sells it.
or do the sanding and prep work yourself and have someone else spray it. like earl schibe ?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #9

Manitoba
Thanks for the tips!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Rosie - when you get ready, post some your questions over in our Problem Solving section, where they will surely be seen by some of our more tech-oriented members. (Not everybody hangs out on the welcome wagon, a.k.a. "Hi I Am")

And Welcome to FiberglassRV.com. We're glad you found us!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Ha Ha, if you go to Earl Schibe make sure you wash it first because they'll paint the dirt too.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Ha Ha, if you go to Earl Schibe make sure you wash it first because they'll paint the dirt too.
And the tires!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Hi Rosie: Does your little boler have a screen door? The first 2 things we did and we found the most valuable to our comfort, was install a screen door (to which I have since added 'roll-down' clear plastic over the top and bottom halves to let us keep the outer door open even on colder days)! Then we converted the front couch to a table for two (and I have since added a flip top to this little table which allows 4 people to sit and play cards should it be raining).
All the rest of the stuff - awnings over the windows, new cupboard doors, tremclad paint, TV antennae (which we never use), etc. etc., can come later.
The easiest way to stop stuff from moving around? -
#1, buy a bag of mixed length BUNGIE CORDS
#2, stick-on velcro works really well on utensil drawers etc.
Once I get our winter cover off, I'll take some updated pics and post them.
We've had our boler since 1997 and every year I have engineered some new comfort to "The Boogie Boler" so that can be a great hobby too - small steps.
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #14

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Another Bolerite! Right on!
Welcome to fiberglass RV.

A new axle and a little slower speed helped to keep things in place. Like Charlynn, We carry a 17 1/2 foot canoe or a kayak on the roof of the tug with no problems. That makes it easier to transport to the waters edge if you don't have a shoreline campsite.
Take your newfound friend to a Bolerama gathering and meet and see what others have done to theirs.
Jim
Hi Jim and Charlynn,

Regarding the kayaks... We were concerned about the turning radius with the kayaks on top of the car. We just got our Honda Element and haven't put the racks on quite yet. Our last vehicle was a Rav4 and it just wouldn't work. The Kayaks were simply too long and wouldn't alow for turns (especially sharp turns).

So... no problems with this?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #15

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian Layne-Parkin View Post
Hi Rosie: Does your little boler have a screen door? The first 2 things we did and we found the most valuable to our comfort, was install a screen door (to which I have since added 'roll-down' clear plastic over the top and bottom halves to let us keep the outer door open even on colder days)! Then we converted the front couch to a table for two (and I have since added a flip top to this little table which allows 4 people to sit and play cards should it be raining).
All the rest of the stuff - awnings over the windows, new cupboard doors, tremclad paint, TV antennae (which we never use), etc. etc., can come later.
The easiest way to stop stuff from moving around? -
#1, buy a bag of mixed length BUNGIE CORDS
#2, stick-on velcro works really well on utensil drawers etc.
Once I get our winter cover off, I'll take some updated pics and post them.
We've had our boler since 1997 and every year I have engineered some new comfort to "The Boogie Boler" so that can be a great hobby too - small steps.

Thanks for the tips. We haven't done much to the Boler. It was in quite mint condition when we purchased it. THe only upgrades that were made by the last owner was electric brakes and a small battery for power.

We'll consider the screen door. But we absolutely want to put in a front dinette sooner than later. We enjoy having the bed down (that's normally how it stays as we eat outdoors in our kitchen tent).

I look forward to seeing pictures.
Cheers!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Hi Jim and Charlynn,

Regarding the kayaks... We were concerned about the turning radius with the kayaks on top of the car. We just got our Honda Element and haven't put the racks on quite yet. Our last vehicle was a Rav4 and it just wouldn't work. The Kayaks were simply too long and wouldn't alow for turns (especially sharp turns).

So... no problems with this?
If your car mounted kayak is centered on the tow then you should have no problem. Being centered means that your trailer swings around it. One of my kayaks is a SOF 18 footer and I can take it along on our Highlander.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #17

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Welcome from Manitoba

Hi Rosie, you will find a ton of great information here. Good to see another Manitoban and good luck with your plans.

Don't forget about our Manitoba Rally which is August 17-19, at St. Malo Provincial Park, you can get many great ideas on projects and just meet some very nice and informative people. More info is in the Rally Forum on this site and last year we had over 40 participants with all makes and models and years of trailers!
rol
Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #18

Manitoba
Hi Roland,

We'll definitely try to make the rally. My parent's have had a cottage in St Malo for nearly 40 years. I practically grew up there... We may hit another rally in New Brunswick in July!

Tags
boler