welcome , to my nightmare - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #15

Name: Erik
Trailer: love bug
Delaware
ok I got the body off, and found the reason for problems is one of the po's took all the tabbing off the did a crappy job of putting thin plywood with one quick slather of resin to hold things. It did not hold anything, not even the wall. This leaves me with no tabbing on most of the wall.
I am looking at taking a measure from the belly band down to the frame cutouts to set my floor tabbing.
Is the bottom side of the floor and the bottom of the frame cutout more or less flush minus some butyl tape or foam between the frame and floor?
I have the shell sitting on 2x4s on saw horses and almost had a collapse. how are you keeping the body shape while off frame?

Old 08-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Boler
Deep South
How is this project going?

Old 08-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #17

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Way too technical for me but good luck on your rehab
Old 08-19-2016, 10:12 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by relics-ink View Post
...what do owners do to add support to the roof for the ac unit (a medical must have)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
If I was going to try to add an AC to the roof, I definitely would add a wooden frame as broad as possible to the roof to distribute the load, and glass those members in place. Any boat repair pair shop could do it…
On new builds Scamp adds a couple of extra layers of fiberglass mat in a large area around the AC hole. That's all, no wood.

I've also seen factory retrofits where Scamp added two wood "rafters" running horizontally between the risers for the trolley roof, one in front the AC unit and one behind, no glass. They weren't too deep, about the same as the AC unit projection (and decoratively carved).

If you want to overbuild, you could do both, and glass in the braces. You don't want to compromise headroom too much.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #19

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by relics-ink View Post
ok I got the body off, and found the reason for problems is one of the po's took all the tabbing off the did a crappy job of putting thin plywood with one quick slather of resin to hold things. It did not hold anything, not even the wall. This leaves me with no tabbing on most of the wall.
I am looking at taking a measure from the belly band down to the frame cutouts to set my floor tabbing.
Is the bottom side of the floor and the bottom of the frame cutout more or less flush minus some butyl tape or foam between the frame and floor?
I have the shell sitting on 2x4s on saw horses and almost had a collapse. how are you keeping the body shape while off frame?
To maintain the shell shape take a pagefrom the boat builders workbooks and build a cradle support from up off of the 2x4s to support the shape of the sides at the lower edge. You do it with with sections of plywood that have been jig sawed to the contour needed. Those plywood pieces attach to the 2x4s. It does not have to be elaborate but it does need to be fairly accurate because once you put i the fiberglass along the lower edge it would be a major rework to correct the size and shape.
Here is a photo example from a boat building site of that type of cradle. I have linked to the image from a forum on boat building. They have kept their cradle jig very basic and used webbing straps. Take note that there are lengthwise strong backs underneath as well as crosswise supports. At least it is also portable which makes it easy to move around if needed. Yours won't be identical of course but it does give you a concept to work with. You can possibly salvage some wood from pallets to help control the cost of building a cradle.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #20

Name: Erik
Trailer: love bug
Delaware
Thank you for the replies from Johnny M, Mitzi Agnew-Giles, Jon in AZ, and k corbin. Interesting that I got all 4 within minutes today since my post from august.

The progress has been slow because of fore mentioned medical issues . But the frame has been cleaned repaired and painted,new floors installed, the complete interior stripped and cleaned, remounted on the frame, and the top half painted.

I found the reason for the roof mount ac problem. the roof was strengthened with 3/8in Masonite glassed in but whoever did it only did three sides and did the forth side with corrugated cardboard and improperly sealed it, which means the cardboard got wet and rotten, giving no support on the one side and stinking to high heavens.

I changed my mind on the roof a/c and am putting a closet mounted 8k window unit in, and a fantastic fan in the roof, after feeling the draft in my neighbors 15 pod trailer.

We decided to remove the bathroom for now as we are mostly using parks. I am keeping the hardware for reinstall. I am building in a space in the freed up space for a cassette toilet for boondocking.

I am now ready for mocking up new counter and closet wood work, and redoing the water and elec ports on the body, including an outside shower fixture for the beach trips.

thanks for asking
Erik