Welcome to New Members - Page 18 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-29-2017, 03:51 AM   #239

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytransplant View Post
Hi, I'm a newbie here and really excited to have the ability to gain knowledge from so many of you who have been doing this for awhile. I currently live in St. Louis and am working towards retirement in about a year. Hubby and I will be purchasing a small fiberglass RV to do some traveling here in the US. We are both seniors, I am 66 and he is almost 68. Is there someplace in the forum where I can ask about cars that can tow fiberglass RVs? Thanks, so happy to be here!
Welcome to FGRV Nan. There is a thread here, real world trailer weights, that shows what our eggs really weigh packed for travel. They were weighed at different rallies as they were coming in. The numbers you may see from the builders are an empty rolling shell before anything else is installed...like a stove, don't believe it . You probably will get better answers by posting any of your questions on the general chat thread. Let us know what your intended tow vehicle is, # of people, bathroom/shower, how you plan to camp, hook ups or boondocking for starters. there are many different FG eggs out there to pick from, might want to look at our rally list and stop by to see and ask owners some questions. Hey, we're all full of info for you .

Old 04-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #240

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Nan!

Dave has given good advice, especially about attending a rally, because...

It's best to figure out what kind of trailer you want/need first, then match the tow vehicle to the real world weight of the trailer*. Since most molded fiberglass trailers are sold factory direct, you can't just walk into an RV dealer to look over different makes and models. A rally is one of the most efficient ways to view a lot of different units in one place and talk to their owners, not salesmen. Many have times set aside for "open house" tours, and if not, most owners are happy to show off their trailers to a visitor. See the 2017 Rally Map to find one near you, and contact the event coordinator for advice about scheduling a visit.
*Here's a link to the Trailer Weights in the Real World database. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data that can be sorted, filtered, and averaged.

Best wishes!

Old 04-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #241

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Idaho
Tow my 13 foot Trillium with a Honda Mini van and barely know it is back there. Can also pull it with our Subaru Outback. That is one of the reasons we chose a small Fiberglass trailer. Still get good fuel economy.
Ron
Old 05-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #242

Name: Benny
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Hi thanks for adding me.
My name is Benny And the new owner of a 2011 17ft Casita AD. We have recently retired and are starting to do some long wanted travel.
Thank you.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #243

Name: Leonard
Trailer: Bigfoot
Nebraska
Hi, we are new to the rv scene, and have jumped in with both feet. We purchased an 1987 Bigfoot fifth wheel. We are going to gut and remodel the rv. After 30 years the roof sags, and things just need to be redone. I look foward to talking with other that have gone through the same process.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #244

Name: Suzie
Trailer: In the market
Arizona
Can't wait to own my own egg

Hi everyone, first off I would like to comment on what a great resource this site is. So much wonderful information and helpful people.
I have been fascinated with owning a 13' trailer for years. Now I think I'm ready to pull the plug and buy my first trailer. Before I do that I would like some suggestions on what to avoid. Recently I found a 1980 Perris Pacer for sale but needs some work. I'm not afraid of putting a little work and money into the trailer to make it my own. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #245

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieArizona View Post
...I have been fascinated with owning a 13' trailer for years. Now I think I'm ready to pull the plug and buy my first trailer. Before I do that I would like some suggestions on what to avoid. Recently I found a 1980 Perris Pacer for sale but needs some work. I'm not afraid of putting a little work and money into the trailer to make it my own. Thanks in advance.
Hello from the White Mountains!

Biggest thing I would want to avoid is rotten floors. Check very carefully above and below, paying special attention inside benches and cabinets around the outer perimeter. Be especially vigilant if you see brand new laminate flooring- it may conceal issues in the subfloor.

For the myriad of other things not to forget to check, download and print out this Buyers Checklist (link only works on a browser, not the FGRV app).

Best wishes!
Old 06-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #246

Name: BJ
Trailer: Lil Guy
Tennessee
Newby to site.

Hello, I am BJ and hope to soon be a Casita or Scamp/Boler owner. I am looking everyday for a 13 foot. Anyone know of one close to TN for sale?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #247

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
This one may still be available

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoore View Post
Hello, I am BJ and hope to soon be a Casita or Scamp/Boler owner. I am looking everyday for a 13 foot. Anyone know of one close to TN for sale?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ced-79931.html
Old 07-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #248

Name: Peter
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
New Jersey
I'm less than 3 weeks away from my trip to Rice TX to pick up a 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe. Can't wait to the start of the camping fun!

This is going to be my second RV. The first was a 1988 34' Georgie Boy Motorhome that my wife and I enjoyed for many years.

I look forward to sharing with the community here about our experiences with the Casita.

Regards,
Peter
Old 07-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #249

Name: Brandy
Trailer: 1972 hunter compact Jr.
Tennessee
Glad to see more and more R.V.ers!!!

Loving this Lifestyle!!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:18 PM   #250

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: Companion
Michigan

Just purchase my very first fiberglass camper. I can't seem to find to much info online about it. It's a 1985 companion 13. Needs some interior work but other then that it's pretty sweet. I'm so excited to take her out!
Old 07-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #251

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpena View Post
Just purchase my very first fiberglass camper. I can't seem to find to much info online about it. It's a 1985 companion 13. Needs some interior work but other then that it's pretty sweet. I'm so excited to take her out!
Yes, very hard to find info on it. But, it's very similar to a U-Haul CT13.

Joan (Joan of Shark here on the forum) also has a Companion and she's currently restoring it. Might be some valuable info there. Here's the thread link.

Redo of 1984 Companion (U-Haul) Trailer

Congrats on your purchase. Post some photos if you can, we love photos here!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:56 PM   #252

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Just Starting

Hello All,

Just started rebuilding a 1973 13' Boler. This is a great site with great resources and I hope I can share what I learn along the way!