We're new - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #1

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
We're new

Hi all,

We're Oscar (F) & Felix (M), from Vancouver, WA. We just purchased a new-to-us 'Land Yacht'...an '82 Burro 13'. We are so excited! There's a lot to do - we've gutted it and are giving it a once-over; new cushions, appliances, flooring, headliner, and a bunch of fixes on the outside too. There is so much great info here - thanks everyone! I'll post pix as we go forward. Man, cushions are expensive! But one whif of the trailer when I bought it was enough to make me toss everything fabric or wood inside...it smells okay now that it's aired out and dry.

New windows, vent, door alignment, so much to do...but it tows great, so we have a good shell to begin with.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Welcome to the site Felix! The double shell construction of a Burro would make it perfect for a person with chemical sensitivities.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Felix, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here!

Just a hint... NEVER toss anything until you have the replacement(s) in hand. You may need measurements, model numbers, etc. For instance, you could have always used the cushions to make a template for new cushions.

There are two Washington gatherings planned in the next three months. Hope to meet you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Welcome Aboard the "Odd Couple"

I do love the retro look of Burro's. Post lots of pictures so we can watch your progress...its also good to document what you do so when someone brand new joins they can see what wonderful things others have done to give them inspiration!

Good Luck!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #5

Name: Mary
Trailer: 1985 Burro 13'
Oregon
Hi there! We just bought a 13' Burro, too, and I feel your pain on the cushion cost! I still haven't decided what route to take with replacements. I look forward to hearing what you decide - and pictures!
just mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
Hi all,

We're Oscar (F) & Felix (M), from Vancouver, WA. We just purchased a new-to-us 'Land Yacht'...an '82 Burro 13'. We are so excited! There's a lot to do - we've gutted it and are giving it a once-over; new cushions, appliances, flooring, headliner, and a bunch of fixes on the outside too. There is so much great info here - thanks everyone! I'll post pix as we go forward. Man, cushions are expensive! But one whif of the trailer when I bought it was enough to make me toss everything fabric or wood inside...it smells okay now that it's aired out and dry.

New windows, vent, door alignment, so much to do...but it tows great, so we have a good shell to begin with.
...Welcome to the forum, Buddies. I am a new member, too! -less than one week ago- I am also in the beginning of process to "refresh" my baby. Even Daddio bursts his bum on the work but the kids will surely throw him and Mama out in the tent and invade the whole cab with their friends. No matter, kids are kids, I will try my best for them and down the road in futrue they will know their Daddio tried his best with...a tight budget. No more tent campings for them unless they choose to do so...This forum is very great and I will post every step of what I do, enclosing photos. Cheer!
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #7

Name: Loyce
Trailer: Hunter 1
Oregon
Registry
Hi Felix, I'm a little south of you near Portland. I'm new to a FB trailer but I have a '63 aluminum that we re-did. In that trailer I got futon mattresses and covers that were as close to what I needed as I could. Then I took scissors and cut them down to fit. I left a flap of the futon "skin" and hand sewed it with cotton string to close the mattress. I cut and sewed the covers to fit. What I found after a few trips is that I want a dedicated bed. I hate making and unmaking the bed while on vacation so I have switched to airbeds with mattress toppers. If there is space around the airbed I pad it with foam stuffed into king size pillow cases.
Loyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
welcome Felix
There is so much good info on this site, and lots of helpful advise, wanted or not LOL. Enjoy the fiberglass adventure
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #9

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Welcome!
I really admire you folks who are motivated (and have the ability) to take on the job of rehabbing a 30+ year old rig of any kind and truly making it your own. Looking forward to seeing your pix. Best of luck creating new adventures!

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #10

Oregon
Thanks everyone...we figure it'll take about 6 weeks to get everything done, then we can be off on our first adventure!

I revisited the existing cushions...what came with the trailer are not in any sense cut to fit the layout! it's just a hodge-podge collection of foam pieces that someone sewed bedsheets over - using loose basting stitches! -, and not good foam at that. And they smell musty. So no loss there. I guess we'll just knuckle down and shell out $$ for the good stuff. Biggest expense next to the new windows.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #11

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Hi Felix and Oscar, I am fairly new here too. I am from Olympia. I just wanted to mention if you are looking for anything for your project, I found a great place in Milwauke, OR. I was down there about a week ago. It's called Affordable RVing. It's on the old 99 highway. Great deals on almost everything you can think of for an rv. They have lots of cushions, that you could probably modify to fit your needs. Welcome!

Jeremy
jcham1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:09 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Biggest expense next to the new windows.
What's wrong with the current windows? Maybe we can help you repair so you can keep money in your pocket for other things...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Smile

Quote:
Thanks everyone...we figure it'll take about 6 weeks to get everything done, then we can be off on our first adventure!

I revisited the existing cushions...what came with the trailer are not in any sense cut to fit the layout! it's just a hodge-podge collection of foam pieces that someone sewed bedsheets over - using loose basting stitches! -, and not good foam at that. And they smell musty. So no loss there. I guess we'll just knuckle down and shell out $$ for the good stuff. Biggest expense next to the new windows.
Felix,

I have a full set of cushions from a Casita 17LD that were replaced when I widened our bunks. You're welcome to have them for free. I bagged them for storage and would like to have someone recycle the foam instead of landfill.

You can email me at tractors1@helvetia.us if you want them

Charlie Young
Hillsboro, OR 97124

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #14

Name: Mary
Trailer: 1985 Burro 13'
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post

Felix,

I have a full set of cushions from a Casita 17LD that were replaced when I widened our bunks. You're welcome to have them for free. I bagged them for storage and would like to have someone recycle the foam instead of landfill.

Charlie Young
Hillsboro, OR 97124

Charlie, if Felix decides not to take you up on that offer, I would love to get ahold of those cushions! I'll email you!
just mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #15

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Felix,

Charlie Young
Hillsboro, OR 97124
Wow, Thanks, Charlie...I have been traveling for work and haven't logged in for quite a while, so I missed this kind offer. We have already committed to brand-new custom-made cushions with new foam - quite an expense but now they'll be just what we want. I'm sure someone else will jump on your offer!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Yup, cushions departed for their new life less than a week after my post!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Felix & congrats on the new trailer!!! We love pictures!!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #18

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
What's wrong with the current windows? Maybe we can help you repair so you can keep money in your pocket for other things...
Yeah, I thought about rebuilding the windows...but the front & rear are a total mess, with lots of silicone on them. I priced a complete set of tempered glass windows, with front & back having a slider at each side (slider/fixed/slider), and Motion Windows in Vancouver will make them new for $300, but I'm concerned if they will mate well with the 'curve' at the front & rear of the trailer...any thoughts anyone?
Old 04-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #19

Oregon
Also, I really want venting windows front & rear...fixed plexiglass doesn't thrill me. However, it's a potential $1500 savings to rebuild the originals...how does anyone deal with only the two small side slider windows as far as venting goes? Does it tend to hole too much moisture in the trailer? Too hot in summer?

There is a definite curve to the original windows...around 1/4" - 3/8" at each side compared to the middle. I fear either using glass and having a bad seal (because it won't curve to mate with the opening properly), or stressing the glass too much and having road vibrations cracking it. Has anyone installed glass windows in their burro?