What made you choose FBRV? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #15
Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13' Std.
My husband bought our first FGRV trailer "for me" when we were engaged, in a bid to get me out camping. It worked. I tried my best to be a tent camper for years but never loved it.

One unexpected thing I love about our Scamp is how often we’ve used it for non-camping situations where we need a crashpad. It’s saved us a ton of money and hassle. We’ve used it to attend weddings, family reunions, visiting friends, and another events that we don’t need a full-on hotel room (or want to burn our vacation budget on one). Two weeks ago we slept for $28 a night instead of paying $179++ a night rate for the hotel at a wedding. When we’re invited to parties at places in more rural areas outside the city, we often can bring our Scamp and save the hour-long drive home in the dark. Oh, and we also stay in my sister’s Casita when we visit them – it’s made a fantastic and easy-to-set-up guesthouse to augment their smaller home. It’s a win-win for all of us.

You asked about the Scamp 13’ comfort specifically. It’s quite comfy for my family of three, but everyone in my family is under 5’8” tall. Everyone’s definition of “comfort” is different, so I’d encourage you to find someone locally who can show you a camper. Our son sleeps in the lower bunk (ideally), but sometimes he’s ended up in the big bed and Mom or Dad wind up in the lower bunk. It’s a cave to crawl into for an adult but comfortable once we’re in there. I think all this would be similar with small differences for the other 13' eggs. We used to have a Burro 13' and it wasn't substantially different.

If you’re new to trailer camping and aren’t certain it is a long-term thing, there are many worse choices than buying a used 13’ FGRV to get started and trying it for a year or two. If you choose wisely and maintain it well, you can change your mind and sell without too much of a financial hit.

Welcome - and good luck with your search!

raster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #16
Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
FGRVs are COOL!.

FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #17
Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Why FB?

1. Holds value

2. Shell will not rust.

3. Lightweight so I can tow with a small vehicle which gets better gas mileage.

4. Fun challenge to fix up as a project.

5. My 13' Scamp is a plug and play... Just screw on the water hose and plug in.

6. Cute as a bug's ear!
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #18
Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Why FB?

PS - We've had

Tents - Nearly floated away in a deluge..

Slide in truck campers - Felt like truck was going to tip over...

Class A Motorhome - Used so much gas we couldn't afford to take it anywhere.

Pop-up - Husband didn't like having to set it up and kept hitting his head on the roof air.

Class B - Toyota Dolphin, I liked it but too much mechanical maintenance for my husband.

Stick travel trailers - leaks, leaks, leaks which caused trouble, trouble, trouble.

We tow our Scamp with a convertible!!! Hard to beat that
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #19
Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Pretty much what everybody said...
  1. I can tow it with a vehicle I already own.
  2. It weighs about the same as a smaller tent trailer but without the set-up and fold-down of (sometimes) wet canvas.
  3. It's solid and secure in bad weather (which got my wife on board).
  4. Its simplicity means less time and money in maintenance.
  5. It has fewer places to leak and less to get damaged if there is a leak.
  6. It fits in almost any campsite.
  7. It fits in two parking spaces at the shopping center.
  8. It's the only thing I have ever purchased (other than our home) that has appreciated in value.
  9. It's the only RV I have owned that I expect to pass down to my heirs.

And most important,
  10. The "cute" factor means my kids are always asking when we're going Scamping again!
Attachment 100005

I have previously camped in tents, the back of my Subaru, a hand-me-down conversion van, a small Jayco tent trailer, and a Toyota mini motorhome. None were as simple, comfortable, and relatively effortless as the Scamp. The conversion van came close, but not when "I" became "we." No going back for me!
We have a 16' Casita - totally agree with all you have listed. Plus having a bathroom and bed always set up with additional dinette and benches is fabulous. The hard shell makes us feel safer too, like from raccoons!
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #20
Name: Marge
Trailer: undecided
Jonathan, I see you said that you tow with an Outback. Do you have a v6 Outback? My 4 cylinder is only rated for 2000 lb towing, and if the 13' Scamp had much of anything in it you'd be approaching the limit. I've also read that except for the driver, the weight of the passengers also counts toward your tow weight. "They" say you don't want to stress your car and your safety by coming close to the tow capacity. We have a 700 lb tiny teardrop that the Outback can tow, but I definitely feel the strain when trying to stop...the car wants to just keep on going. And now that the car has 120,000 miles on it I'm feeling the strain of towing. Just give it a thought. I know that people tow near the limit all the time, but it's really not a good idea. I know the V6 has a higher tow rating, 2700 lb, in which case the 13' Scamp should work fine.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #21
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
I've always considered camping to be Backpacking, and in recent years, extremely light weight backpacking. I use a pepsi can stove that weights less than a half an ounce, my shelter is a cuban fiber tarp that weights 7 oz and uses my trecking poles for support, my sleeping bag weights about 22 oz for a 20* bag. In other words, I'm used to minimal camping.

When I decided to try out a trailer or RV of some kind for post retirement travel, I knew I wanted small and light. Considered teardrops, but many are very expensive and most do not allow indoor cooking. I saw many older stick built and pop-ups at a job I used to work, and most all had leaking issues of one kind or another, especially those that were more than just a few years old.

I have looked seriously at A-liners, but there seems to be a lot of potential for leaks, plus the very low counter tops didn't seem conducive for my needs, since I have had back problems in the past, and don't want to aggravate that again.

I then found Scamps and Casitas on Youtube - owners all seemed very happy, and the typical benefits all made sense. Less potential for leaks, long life - could buy used and not have tremendous worries about hidden water damage, plus they come equipped with most any luxury I could want. Being as my tow vehicle is a very low mileage F150 with an 8ft bed, I have no problems with storage for extended outings.

One little hick-up in my decision came while looking for a trailer - took months. During that time, I almost decided to forgo a trailer and just go with a truck cap, so I ordered a high-top, lined with carpeting for insulation and condensation control, plus a "Bed Rug" which covers the floor, sides and tailgate of the truck itself to give the same insulation and condensation control. I added a bed platform with a nice mattress.

Shortly after getting the cap for the truck, I found a Scamp 13, and bought it as well. I now have a two-room, two bed solution. Came in handy earlier this month when I traveled with a friend from Michigan to North Dakota. We had separate sleeping facilities as well as plenty of storage space, but could still socialize and cook inside when we wanted. Worked out quite well.

I'll still backpack regularly and for extended trips, but I also have the option of doing comfortable road trips. I still shake my head when I hear folks talk about going "camping" when they drive around their Class A or haul a huge 5th wheel. Oh well, guess that will take some getting used to if I continue to frequent "campgrounds" on a regular basis, for now I just bite my tongue and remember the backpacking admonition - "Hike your own hike".
LyleB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #22
Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
You'll get both answers to that one. Think of it having to change your bedding every day with only one side accessible. Relocating the cushions and board are very easy. So it's a nuisance, yes, but takes only 5 minutes, and think of the benefits of having a cosy, easily towed, weatherproof home everywhere you go. It's all in your mindset.
My wife and I loved our 13', but gradually moved up to accommodate kids.
Personally though, I do think a 16' is even better and just as effortless to tow.

Past owner of 1995 13' Casita, 1994 16' Casita, 2012 Parkliner.
Current owner of 2002 17' Bigfoot
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #23
Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Fraid of bugs? My snake/bug fearing spouse like the sealed nature of the Casita whose underside is fiberglassed (includes wheel wells) as well as the top of the floor board. No bug/snake gonna get her!
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:48 AM   #24
Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
backpacker to scamp

I'm a "retired backpacker", got tired of camping in the rain. Picked up a used Scamp that my current car could pull. This was the most cost-effective transition. For the first year of Scamping, I put away the bedding and raised the table daily....no more. Someone on this forum commented "you're camping" so leave the bed as is, and use the picnic table...duh.

My dog loves sleeping in the Scamp, too....no more wet dog in a wet tent.

The only issue I have with the trailer is the ceiling height. My grandkids are all over 6 feet, the youngest is 6ft 8...he now sleeps in my backpack tent...works for me!

My suggestion is to try out a rental Scamp first, buy used, small, something that works for your current vehicle. When the kids get to be teens, they probably will prefer a tent next to your trailer.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #25
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
What made you choose FBRV?

About the Scamp bunks- surprisingly roomy! I especially like that the top one is not too high. A child can sit up in the top bunk. The bottom is a bit limited on headroom, but I sleep there very comfortably. Very easy to set up and take down. It doesn't come with a safety rail, but it's easy to rig your own.

About Outbacks and brakes... Even the smallest molded fiberglass trailers can (and should) be equipped with electric trailer brakes. Many tow vehicles require them over 1000 pounds, and some states as well. Properly adjusted, you should not feel any pushing and should be able to stop nearly as quickly with the trailer as without in an emergency situation.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #26
Name: Kathleen (Kai in Seattle)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973
FiberGlass trailers seem to be owned by "engineers" whether formal or informal. People willing and able to Do-It-Yourself, whatever "it" may be. One brand of new FGRVs has stated that somewhere between 85%- 95% of their buyers are engineers. That's their target clientele. These FiberGlass trailers appeal to people who like things "elegant." Who like solutions to be true solutions, not transposed problems from one place to another. Who like things that work properly for a long time.

We have used tents (I discovered they only exacerbated my intense fear of bears), a plain truck bed camper top, a 60s Aloha trailer ( painted aluminum), a FiberGlass-topped Conversion Van, a tent-trailer, and was even involved in our son's SilverStreak, a knock-off Airstream.

We put more effort into the conversion van than anything up to that point, but it was so small inside! And once set up & camped we had to unset in order to drive into town. That got old fast. The tent-trailer (a pop up tent on a hard base shell) required hand cranking and set up, which was a pain in the arms and hands.

Then, for hauling picnic baskets, a doggy x-pen, and other equipment for local daycations, we bought a little used cargo-hauling trailer meant to be towed behind a large mortocycle, a kind of Gold Wing Legacy (with no markings on it) made of fiberglass. It was chipped and moldy inside. How could we fix it up? In searching the web, we found this FGRV site and learned how to remove mold from fiberglass. We learned it doesn't get INTO fiberglass, but lives on top. So following directions here, we managed to scrub and bleach it clean and sweet. And being here, we saw all the little "marshmallow" trailers I'd noticed first as a child and always wondered about, but had forgotten. They aren't prevalent unless you're at a rally, gathering, or meet. Suddenly we were bitten by the FGRV bug.

Paul retired in 2014. In 2015 we bought a Dodge Grand Caravan, and it had a towing capacity of 3600 pounds, 360 max. tongue weight. What would work? We checked on local new trailers, and they were all too heavy. I didn't like how the furniture and fixtures were so crammed in them. I hated the dark brown fake wood paneling. I disliked their choice of colors and their thin upholstery. We looked at local used Scamps and Bolers. We realized soon that we wouldn't be able to sleep properly if we had only one double bed, and thatneither of us could fit on the front bunk of a 13' Scamp/ Boler/ Trilium.

We began searching online diligently, and within a few months, we found "our" "egg," (they call them eggs, not marshmallows, generally, which is more apt as marshmallows are soft, spongy, and are the same all the way through, and eggs can be hollow, can be hollowed into fillable shells).

We bought a 16' 1973 amerigo that after 9 months of work became our "Peanut," one shell with two nuts in it.
It has a U-shaped twin bed/seating at the back, and a side settee/twin bed at the front. We call it our "two bedroom unit." It has a nice utility niche for the porta-potty and laundry basket and folding tables, and broom. It suits us really well now.

When the day comes we have to repaint it, we may rename it "Serenity." A little kinder to us. And it's funny how serene we feel when we're in Peanut. Though we did keep it all electric and very, very simple. We love it.

Our first half hour owning it, a couple pulled up beside us and offered to buy it sight unseen. Our first camping trip we gave a tour on request. All the months Paul worked on it out in our driveway (some months tented with a huge tarp, some out in the open, we met neighbors we'd lived by for a dozen years and never seen before. The meets and rallies have brought us more acquaintances, and we hope, friends.

If you aren't interested in being friendly, don't get one of these. People are interested!
Semper ubi sub ubi.
Kai in Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #27
Name: Kathleen (Kai in Seattle)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973
Good Night! I went berserk! Sorry. The tale of one egg is just too fascinating to keep short.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Kai in Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #28
Name: Katrina
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
British Columbia
Originally Posted by JustBrowsing View Post
Such fantastic replies!
We are a family of 4: 2 daughters, both love camping but my youngest is petrified of bugs.

How comfortable are the bunks in a Scamp 13?
We also have an Outback, and the Scamp 13 seems to be the best choice when trying to sleep 4, for what I am able to tow...
Is converting the bed to table and back to bed a pain or easy?
I'm also still very interested in more experiences of people who moved from box RVs to FB. I love your stories.

Thank you all for sharing.
I'd say the bottom bunk is big enough for both adults and kids. The top bunk in my opinion is only good for a kid. My son slept there until he was 10 with a bunk rail that my dad made for it, since he had actually rolled out of bed a couple of times! My other son slept on the bottom bunk and the dogs slept on the floor. Converting the bed back to a table is not hard, but gets to be a pain after a while, which is why we ended up keeping it as a bed and just used the picnic table outside (unless it rained). The only times we would have to keep converting it from bed to dinette was during early Spring or late Fall camping when it's cooler outside. Also, I highly recommend a memory foam topper for the bed since the cushions are very firm and uncomfortable. Otherwise, we loved our Scamp 13!

KatZam is offline   Reply With Quote