What made you choose FBRV? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: Escape
New York
Have had A-frame campers and stick builds, all of them developed leaks within 2 years. My last 2 started to delaminate, the last one within 16 months of ownership. The manufacturer would do nothing to fix it as the Warrenty was 1 yr.
And when it delaminates the resale value plummets! This trailer cost me 17,000 new, had it for 5 yrs. when I sold it because of the delamination problems got 4500 dollars.
So no more stick builds for me! Going to be picking up our Escape 21 in about 3 weeks. No seams to open up, no delamination problems. Can't wait.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #30

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
my owners manual says 2700 for the 4cyl and the 6, which makes me think the Outback may be limitted by the CVT more than the engine. This is all something I will double and triple check though. Although you're right - I don't want to go much over 1500 lbs with the Outback.
If I have to get a bigger tow vehicle, that opens up larger options... but then we're looking at way more money (if you count the tow vehicle).

Old 09-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #31

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Good Night! I went berserk! Sorry. The tale of one egg is just too fascinating to keep short.

Berserk and wonderful. 😊
Old 09-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #32

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Good Night! I went berserk! Sorry. The tale of one egg is just too fascinating to keep short.

Well, you must have spent a while picking out those jumping things, Kai!

I had no idea that there was some sort of research conclusion that FGRV's are more often chosen by engineers. My late best friend and myself were always the butts of "engineer jokes" dished out by the non-engineers in the respective families. Now I understand why I was subconsciously intrigued by them, when, a few years ago, I realized that we needed a better and easier than a tent and cheaper than a motel. Funny? And I have to say that good engineers think things through, but do not "overthink" them. "Common sense" rules, no matter what. Most of these FG trailers are common sense solutions for a huge number of folks. Keep them coming to this forum.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:34 PM   #33

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Locomotive engineers perhaps.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #34

Name: Sally
Trailer: Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel
Florida
Ours was a different path. I grew up with a 23 ft stick built and then, a 31 foot Airstream. A few years ago, we went to go look at the vintage Airstream we planned to restore and it was soo much more than I wanted. I remembered how difficult some sites were because of the size of the trailer. I just wanted something different. Hubby really liked 5th wheelers but I did not want all of those steps or the leaks that come as they age. WIth cats, I did not want sliders as they can sometimes get out; I also read about all of the leaking issues with sliders. We settled on Scamps partly because the people here were so amazing and once we went to a rally, we were hooked; a 19 footer is the perfect size for me and its a fifth wheel for my hubby! Basically, what I tell people is that when you walk into one and know that you are home, you will know that you found the right one! Happy hunting!
Old 09-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #35

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Well, you must have spent a while picking out those jumping things, Kai!

I had no idea that there was some sort of research conclusion that FGRV's are more often chosen by engineers. My late best friend and myself were always the butts of "engineer jokes" dished out by the non-engineers in the respective families. Now I understand why I was subconsciously intrigued by them, when, a few years ago, I realized that we needed a better and easier than a tent and cheaper than a motel. Funny? And I have to say that good engineers think things through, but do not "overthink" them. "Common sense" rules, no matter what. Most of these FG trailers are common sense solutions for a huge number of folks. Keep them coming to this forum.
Actually, its retired school teachers! No kidding ask around!
Old 09-24-2016, 08:21 PM   #36

Name: Emily
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBrowsing View Post
Such fantastic replies!
We are a family of 4: 2 daughters, both love camping but my youngest is petrified of bugs.

How comfortable are the bunks in a Scamp 13?
We also have an Outback, and the Scamp 13 seems to be the best choice when trying to sleep 4, for what I am able to tow...
Is converting the bed to table and back to bed a pain or easy?
I'm also still very interested in more experiences of people who moved from box RVs to FB. I love your stories.

Thank you all for sharing.
We sleep an almost 15yo, 5'8, 125 boy on the bottom bunk and our 12yo, 65 pound girl on the top bunk. They both say they sleep amazing in the Scamp. Because it rained every camping trip this season, we had a lot of experience converting the table to bed and back again. It is super easy and takes 5-10 minutes, depending on if you use sleeping bags or actual bedding. We love our Scamp!
Old 09-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #37

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
We had a 23' Rockwood... too big and heavy, I didn't like towing that much trailer. Got a Burro for a couple of years but it didn't have a shower or brakes so I sold it. Bought a 16' KZ stickie, and after 3.5 years it was leaking... sold it. Currently using my empty-shell Hauley (a Snoozy without interior finish) for camping, and thinking of building cabinets and stuff for it. The Hauley has no roof penetrations whatsoever, so the only leak points from outside are windows and door.

Towing the Burro with a Highlander, I got about 14 mpg. The HL with KZ was 11-12 mpg. So the shape and smaller frontal area of the FG egg saves fuel and puts less strain on the drive train.
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #38

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Locomotive engineers perhaps.
That's when they want something lighter to bring along.
Pasted from a quick search:
Quick Answer.
The weight of a diesel locomotive varies from about 100 tons or below to over 200 tons, depending on the model. The GP38-2 weighs 125 tons, the Dash 9 GE-C44-9W weighs 210 tons, the C30-7 weighs 195 tons and the F7A weighs 104.4 tons.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Actually, its retired school teachers! No kidding ask around!
Jon in AZ's list pretty much sums up the reasons, but Floyd, your quote seems to ring a bit true in stereotyping teachers purchasing FGRV's. Far more than half of the FGRV's we looked at when buying were owned by school teachers. And surprise, we are teachers in our second FGRV. Now why would that be?

My thoughts as to why:

1 As teachers we have always had to try to get more with less. We maybe made a steady paycheck, but it has never been a case of having a lot of disposable income to spend on big ticket items. On paper it seems we are over paid by many, but there are no deductions or write-offs, or business names on the sides of our tow vehicles.

2 Our recreation has always been camping. As a result of #1, the only way we could get out of the house was camping. Over the years we watched relatives and friends do hotel trips and jet off to Europe and far away places. Our far away places tended to be campgrounds. And these were either state, national or county parks, with little services, and far cheaper to stay at than private RV parks. And at least for us, we prefer to want a good healthy dose of nature:

Old 09-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #40

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Two teachers here, too!… interesting conjecture.

And yup, value is important in my economy!
Old 09-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #41

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Every retired school teacher which I have met was apparently well healed with a comfortable retirement. Clearly, the day of the penurious schoolmarm is a myth from the distant past.

Fiberglass trailers are not cheap compared to their stick built counterparts but they do tend to attract those who study their options and choose value in a travel trailer as well as choosing practicality over extravagance of life stye.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #42

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Love our Casita because:
Easy to pull.
Light weight.
Layout.
No leaks(If you keep eye on rivets)
All Fiberglass.
VALUE.