What made you choose FBRV? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #61

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Our first RV was a Chalet A frame. It was easy to tow, easy to set up, and very roomy. But we found three things we didn't like that made us decide to sell. First, a bathroom break required set up and always drew a crowd. Second, there were way too many moving parts. Third there were only two windows, both sliders. Not enough ventilation especially in the rain.

We bought fiberglass for longevity and a Trillium because of the jalousie windows on all four sides. Raz, retired engineer and teacher.
Thanks Raz.
Bathroom break setup crowds. haha
JustBrowsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #62

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
That was (mostly) a great thread. I really hope that all of your issues get fixed, and thank you for being so clear and fair regarding your experience.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #63

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBrowsing View Post
That was (mostly) a great thread. I really hope that all of your issues get fixed, and thank you for being so clear and fair regarding your experience.
LOL.. thats pretty much the case for any thread over 3 or 4 pages... its "mostly good" until it becomes personal.

As for my issues.. I am headed out in the morning for a few days and then beach bound in Oct. I am very confident that now everything is in tip-top shape and will be fine.

With the possible exception of a modification I made to the Fantastic Fan... (I wanted a Freaking Fantastic Fan! LOL). I did run into a problem with my mod but I think I have it worked out. Interesting (to me at least) is that I have done a number of modifications and all of them except for the aforementioned have worked great.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #64

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
GOOD POINT! In fact you might say that trailers in that range are often "FREE".
I have rehabbed and resold >a couple dozen fiberglass trailers (all less than $5000) . A low paid hobby for me, but many of these trailers have proven to be "FREE" to many of my buyers when they decided to sell.
Its not always having money which makes you comfortable, but how you manage it.

1. The mention of a large percentage of their buyers being engineers came from, I believe, EggCamper. They sell only new fiberglass trailers.

2. As for people finding most others with FGRVs to be teachers, I don't doubt a lot of FGRV owners are teachers. At all levels of teaching.

3. Finding many teachers to be well-heeled is partly because many teachersw marry other teachers, so even if they make $37,000 a year, that's each, and together that's more than $70,000, which is fairly well-heeled. At least it is by my standards--we never earned that much.

Also, as Floyd said, "Its not always having money which makes you comfortable, but how you manage it."

Teachers are often smart enough to manage their money well (so are engineers, and so are other people for that matter).

I know a couple who made a combined $150,000, and they never had a dime in their pockets. Big earnings don't always equal good money choices.

As it says (roughly) in The Summer of Our Discontent, "If you handle poverty badly, you will handle riches badly, too."

From The Hobbit (or the Trilogy), "An honest business never blush to tell."

Old 10-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #65

Registry
And here's another reason we have a trailer--the girls. We have two older pug dogs. They are our pets as well as act as blood glucose and pill-time alert dogs. We love these girls, though the older one has some physical issues, and we want to give them a nice nature experience sometimes. They seem to like the trips, run eagerly to the car to get into their crates, and when the older one got out of the x-pen at the campground, she ran right into the trailer, so she can't hate it.

Though that's why a trailer, but not why a fiberglass trailer. That it's an egg is for us. That we have it at all is at least half for the girls.

BEST to all.
Kai in Seattle
Old 10-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #66

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Late to this party, but I spent a fair amount of time documenting our relatively sudden conversion to "The Molded Fiberglass Obsession" in my webblog, here:

https://walkingcreekworld.wordpress....ass-obsession/

There are pictures, too!

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #67

Registry
I love that you said, "...whole 'nother." Yup, another "nother!"

Your trailer is beautiful, and a great story. Thanks!

BEST
Kai
Old 10-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #68

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I've camped in new trailers, in vintage trailers and in molded fiberlass. Hands down, I'd take either a vintage stick built, or fiberglass. My little egg is just a tiny, simple hard sided tent on wheels. No delaminating walls, no 'faux' wood panels, very little rot potential, no slide out failures, no wind sway when towing.... and the inside is just a smooooooth gelcoat fiberglass which I love. I think that you'll find that most FGRV'rs want basic camping, not all the bells and whistles of the big modern boxes. And there is something that is homey and comfortable about a small trailer that has 'history' in it. I love all the bumps and bruises that my little UHaul carries. Modern? Meh... ymmv
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #69

Registry
YES, you're right, Pam Garlow, we didn't want all the bells and whistles of any of the new trailers. We go camping to get more basic, and hard-sided tent isn't really a bad thing, is it? Someone called ours that, and I wasn't sure if I should thank them or blush.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #70

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
FG Camper

1/Light weight
2/Minimum maintenance
3/Simplicity(towing, set-up, gas mileage, refresh/re-paint, storage/back-yard...)
4/Economy
5/Safe in the wilderness and weather-proof.
Did I miss anything??????
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #71

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
1/Light weight
2/Minimum maintenance
3/Simplicity(towing, set-up, gas mileage, refresh/re-paint, storage/back-yard...)
4/Economy
5/Safe in the wilderness and weather-proof.
Did I miss anything??????
Yep. A great, friendly, helpful, supportive community.

Walt
Old 10-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #72

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:

Back to RVs, my wife wants to put flower stickers all over one if we get it. Where do you find those?
Google "Flower Power Stickers" (1970s) or get these from ETSY https://www.etsy.com/listing/1185029...s-flower-power
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #73

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Google "Flower Power Stickers" (1970s) or get these from ETSY https://www.etsy.com/listing/1185029...s-flower-power
Thanks!