What size and make do you recommend? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #15

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Check out some of the RV shows and look at a sample of everything. That way you will get an idea of what is possible and how big you have to go to get what you think you need.
Like Norm says check out some of the rallies or meets. There is a map in the forums to see what is close. People readily show off their trailers and modifications at the meets. That way you can get an idea of what suits you.
You did not indicate where you are, but many of us will show off our rigs in our driveways.
Portable 3way coolers are available if your fridge is too small. After a while you learn how to use coolers for some stuff (beverages & condiments ) and buy your regular refridgerated goods in smaller quantities.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #16

Name: Craig
Trailer: Currently researching
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Good day neighbor. Understand your situation. Your Honda has a long history of being a capable TV with much potential. We used a 93 Nissan Mini Van (although it had much less power than your Honda) for many years and it worked great. Since you are in Ontario and are interested in an Egg or Airstream check in with the good folks at Can Am in London. They are Egg and Airstream dealers and are towing professional who have set up 100's of Honda's for towing trailers. Best of Luck.
Mighty fine Airstream! Already on top of it! Going to Can-Am in London in March for a RV seminar, and to meet the famous Andy T. I'm blown away with his ability to do custom weight-distribution hitches to haul amazing Airstream loads. There are several minivans around hauling 7000lb. 28' Airstreams, and his demo Taurus easily hauling a 34' is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Check out some of the RV shows and look at a sample of everything. That way you will get an idea of what is possible and how big you have to go to get what you think you need.
Like Norm says check out some of the rallies or meets. There is a map in the forums to see what is close. People readily show off their trailers and modifications at the meets. That way you can get an idea of what suits you.
You did not indicate where you are, but many of us will show off our rigs in our driveways.
Portable 3way coolers are available if your fridge is too small. After a while you learn how to use coolers for some stuff (beverages & condiments ) and buy your regular refridgerated goods in smaller quantities.
South of Windsor. Thanks for the suggestions. We are use to short-term camping in our van and using a cooler with frozen jugs of water, so anything is a step up. I'm just not sure what we can and cannot live with on a long-term basis.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #17
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramar View Post
Mighty fine Airstream! Already on top of it! Going to Can-Am in London in March for a RV seminar, and to meet the famous Andy T. I'm blown away with his ability to do custom weight-distribution hitches to haul amazing Airstream loads. There are several minivans around hauling 7000lb. 28' Airstreams, and his demo Taurus easily hauling a 34' is awesome!
Sounds good cramar. I took one of his seminars at the Hamilton RV show a few years ago. Standing room only. Very informative. Enjoy!

Quote:
There are several minivans around hauling 7000lb. 28' Airstreams
From what I have read they have set up 100's of Mini Vans as TV's. For sure lots of experience there.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Check out some of the RV shows and look at a sample of everything.
The problem with RV shows, is that they just bring the biggest and best of everything, and nothing from the moulded fiberglass group. At least that was the case this past weekend in Calgary. I never went, but talked to 3 couples that did, and said it was a waste of time.

Though I know there are some smaller ones, and if you can check to see what brands will be there, you just might find a FG one, or two.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:55 AM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Hi, been on this forum for awhile trying to sort everything out as what to buy. Kinda of confused. Some say NO gen. Some say sure if it is a quiet Honda Gen. Some say total electric is fine, others say got to have propane but also say can`t use your fridge on propane got to save it, can`t use your heater on propane to loud and you got to save it.
Seems to me a Honda Gen would be no louder then an AC on a a larger rig.
Right now i am leaning towards a Lil Snoozy all elec but will carry a propane tank with me and try to figure out way to safely carry it or attach it. I think with a Gen and propane, elec and solar panels with the proper batteries will have some one covered, so I think for now. Good luck Carl
Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carl,

My view is to buy what you like. All of them can be modified to meet your needs. No propane, add it that's all. To me it seems to make very little difference to the amount of fun possible, it's really not the trailer. We've had 3, each unique to themselves and when we consider our months on the road, though we loved each trailer, it was the travel we remember the most.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #21

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Lil Snoozy

I'm enthusiastic about the Lil Snoozy. Yesterday, I went to the factory in South Carolina, and met with Richard. He's just great to work with. If you're worried about power, he'll be able to show you the options, including a solar option. And he's REALLY pet friendly, having recently adopted a stray cat and dog.

The trailer is beautiful. It has a bath with a cassette toilet. The cassette is light enough for a 64-year-old granny. The appointments are first class, from the queen bed to the cabinets.

If anyone wants to buy my house on Virginia's Eastern Shore, I'll be another step closer to buying my Lil Snoozy
Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Carl, you're going through one of the toughest phases. Decisions to make and futures to make. It really is more about YOU and less about US. There are no two trailers alike (after Mods) and no two travels made the same way or down the same path.

I wish you well and hope you find the trailer that's perfect for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #23

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
South of Windsor. ... We are use to short-term camping in our van
Try contacting Fiberglass RV - View Profile: Mikmay he is in your neck of the woods with a few different campers in the family. Since you do camp already and are close, come to http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ock-62665.html in mid July - it is one of the biggest rallies around. You will be able to see most of the trailers made. You can meet lots of great people who readily answer questions.

The more I think about it, the 17' Bigfoot comes close to matching your wishlist.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Before you let CanAm set up your Smart Car to pull a 26' Airstream, (or whatever) be sure to talk to your ins company first about what "might" hapen to your coverage should you need to make a claim when towing well over the manufacturers stated towing limits.

If traveling to the 48 southern provinces I would also suggest first talking to a U.S. lawyer. If involved in an accident, no matter who's fault, the others guys lawyer will grab any excuse to file suit down here, and the court will not give a rats patootie about how many over rated weight set-ups someone in Canada has done.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
others say got to have propane but also say can`t use your fridge on propane got to save it, can`t use your heater on propane to loud and you got to save it.
l
Carl, as others have said you need to simple get what you believe will work for you. If you discover down the road that you got something wrong it can always be added!

Re the fridge on propane - I personally have found its very efficient on propane so run mine for days without issue. The big issue with running the furnace when off the grid isn't so much the propane use but the battery power the fan uses - got to have a means of recharging the battery if you use the furnace a lot off the grid.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The big issue with running the furnace when off the grid isn't so much the propane use but the battery power the fan uses - got to have a means of recharging the battery if you use the furnace a lot off the grid.
Unless you purchase an old Trillium, or other vintage trailer, which has a gravity furnace that uses no power. Doesn't make a lot of heat though.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #27

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
An Ode to Old Furncaes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Unless you purchase an old Trillium, or other vintage trailer, which has a gravity furnace that uses no power. Doesn't make a lot of heat though.

That loud "Ouch" just heard across the western states was me biting my tongue
Old 02-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #28

Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Craig, I second Roy suggestion that you comtact Mikmay. He probably lives very close to you.

Otherwise there is a rally in Cobourg in May and another in July for you to check out FG campers. I believe there are even some Escapes attending as well as any other brand you might want to see.

Even though the Escapes are in BC, they do ship them to wherever you are.....

Tags
eco