What trailer to buy? - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #197

Name: Diane
Trailer: still shopping
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
My wife has not seen this trailer yet as she had at first vetoed the portable toilet idea. But after all the "debate" on here over them and my reporting to her she has changed her mind about them. Also, we have an outdoor shower I built at our cabin in northern Michigan and after taking a couple of these this summer she is now hot for an outdoor shower on her trailer instead of the indoor one. So, we are evolving and perhaps even getting smaller in our footprint we leave. Still need more comments from actual owners. There are good videos on the Armadillo website. For those who do not know about these they are made from the old Boler and L'il Bigfoot molds.
Still good to have the back-up potty for those late night, rainy, gotta go times! I tent camp currently and bring a bucket of kitty litter so everything is a step up.:lout

Old 07-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #198

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Way too small for us, but I am impressed with the design based on the photos. Looks high end.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #199

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
The Armadillo seems high on cuteness but smaller than I would like (then, our 17' Casita is feeling small these days, as the novelty wears off—it would be nice not to have a crawl-over-to-get-out bed!).

The porthole looks like it would be a bathroom window, but it ain't. Another large window, as on the sides, would provide a lot more light and scenery. That's one of the virtues of the Casita: small, but open.

/Mr Lynn

PS Hope you all are having a wonderful Independence Day, and have had the opportunity to reflect on the principles the Founders of this Republic left us.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #200

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I want to know how much it costs to fix that storage tray on the bottom when you whack it on a rock or stump.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #201

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Looks nice but it seems to be very expensive for a 13. Almost everything is optional.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #202

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 (on order) & 2017 Jeep GC 5.7 (Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Way too small for us, but I am impressed with the design based on the photos. Looks high end.
I'd like to have one in my stable, but alas I can only have one.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #203

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
armadillotrailers.net looks pretty high quality. Maybe as they grow and get established they will build a 16 or 17 footer. Nice insulation shown too.

I see they are forum members here.
Attached Thumbnails
insulat.jpg   storage.jpg  

Old 07-05-2017, 06:41 AM   #204

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Armadillo pricing appears comparable to Happier Camper after you factor in the exchange rate. Both are high end 13'ers, though very different in concept. I agree, though- I'd rather have a large window that opens in the back. Oh, wait... I already do.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #205
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I want to know how much it costs to fix that storage tray on the bottom when you whack it on a rock or stump.
Usually big slides like those stick when you get the tray fully extended. I made an aluminum rear box for skiis with extension slides like that which would get sticky/hung up after only a couple of winters even using lithium grease.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #206

Name: Michael
Trailer: Currently shopping
Florida
It will be an excellent question for me to ask when they get back to me.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #207

Name: Michael
Trailer: Currently shopping
Florida
More questions regarding the Armadillo

I realize the Armadillo is excellent for cold weather camping (built in Canada), but what about Florida? I live there at minimum six months per year. Would that climate hurt my Armadillo if I were to buy one? What about mould and condensation issues, are there any?
Old 07-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #208

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Have no fear, construction folks have been using those truck bed tool slides for many years.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #209

Name: julie
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
We all have our individual likes and dislikes. Our personal preferences about interior design. Me too.

Real things are better than fake things, even if the fake thing reminds me of the real thing. For instance, pressboard cabinets with a picture of wood glued to the surface. Or a fine looking sound system that doesn't actually work well enough to use. Or "Extreme" printed on the outside of the trailer, that actually gives no insulating or bad weather advantage. Etc, etc. What about the tires and suspension system. A very important aspect. I would never decide on a trailer because it had nice cabinets, and never look at the suspension, or the propane system, or the tank capacities, etc.

Maybe some of us feel warmer in wood interiors while others feel they are dated. It's all a matter of taste.

To me, the emotional sensation when I walk into a trailer isn't as important as the underlying build integrity. I've paid a heavy price for thinking multiple trailers were "warm" or "ready for the winter" or had "real" oak interiors, so they must be good, etc.

I'm trying to say, look beyond your initial gut reaction to pre-conceived "must have" features, and look at why or how the features play into the overall package. I judge too. I looked at an Escape and immediately decided that the standard white utility trailer wheels were ugly and indicative of cost saving methods. The plastic fittings weren't up to the task, etc. But they are great trailers. I looked at Oliver and those items were fine and the whole package seems better, But then I found wiring glitches and poor decisions showed up in other ways with them.

Some have talked about the interior design, and some designs are brilliant. Rear bath with rear side door entry allows a very good interior, for instance. The Oliver has a more conventional design, but it turns out that the batteries are under the dinette seat and that mandates the seating design. Cool. Much better weight distribution and the ability to open the truck tailgate without interference. A trade-off that makes sense if you look slightly deeper. Airstreams have the reputation and are beautiful, but they are weekend apartments much more than boondocking trailers. So look there if you want a luxury apartment. My Thor toy hauler had a large water tank, but it was located right in front and placed a big load on the tongue, or not, as determined by how much water was loaded. A constant variable that didn't play well. A feature you'd never notice by walking in and getting the feel of the place.

Of course, we want to be happy in our trailers. Their features are there to accommodate us. If we find that some designs are different than we expect, but excellent is some way, it might make sense to recognize that the trailer is not a house, this time is not some other time, we may get more use and pleasure from something that was not initially on our "must have" list. A 13' Scamp might be just the ticket if you want to tow it with a compact car. I have spent a lot of nights in a tent, or even out under the stars in a cold winter night. Times like that, a small Cassita would have been an extreme luxury and I would not have judged it by the cabinet door material.

So, it's not just about the first emotional impression. Look further and see why, or see the quality of the implementation. If you can't decide, maybe you're not ready to actually go camping, or maybe the differences make do real difference and you could just pick one at random. In the end, the trailer is a means to an end. We get to go explore wonderful places and have an excellent place to call home while we do.

We went to Phoenix and Scottsdale a couple of years ago to visit a sanctuary we are closely tied to. Hot. Rainy. Dusty. Windy. But we could focus all of our attention on the animals because we had an accommodating trailer with air conditioning where we could withdraw and relax in the evenings. Heading back, we stopped at Grand Canyon for a few days, then Death Valley for a few more (in August) and spent time at a hot springs. I was hoping it would pour torrential rain and take out the road as it was threatening to do. We spent time laughing and watching the wild burros as they meandered through camp. Some coyotes showed us more about their family structure. Bats, at night, dipped to the water's surface to get a drink in the near total darkness. And I visited the spot where I spread my father's ashes, under an oasis palm in the gurgling desert stream. During that trip, I don't think I even once monitored my feelings about the emotions related to the tone of the wood on the cabinets, or the "hospital" like interior of an Oliver.

Some years ago I was in Mexico and camping in my Ford Taurus wagon. Pretty minimal, but a memorable trip still talked about today. On the way down, a hundred miles or so below the border, at the nicest and simplest camping area, a couple came in in a Ford Ranger with a camper shell. They were in their seventies and just out on an adventure. They were having a great time camping and I was immediately drawn to them. A simple trip with the minimum of equipment, and having a great time. They really seemed to know how to live and enjoy life.

The stories related to the desert, and to camping in general, can go on endlessly, and you won't experience them unless you get out there. Searching is a fun project, but it's a means to an end.

What a grand way to talk about what's really important Raspy. Just get out there!
Old 07-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #210

Name: julie
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Idaho
I went from scamp to an escape 17b w carefully selected options. Things that have not been mentioned in this thread are that escape trailers industries have 2 yr warrantee, many options on other fg trailers are standard, ability to customize and great support system in escapeforum. Can u tell I love my Escape?

Tags
eggcamper, oliver, scamp 16, t@b