What trailer to buy? - Page 16 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #211

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Everyone posts their's :)

Pretty evident which we choose. Pricey. Had to shallow very hard and promise we would use the snot out of it to each other. Ours is the 24'ter. I don't think I would spring for the under 17'ter Oliver personally. Not much cheaper than our 24 and you can get a better buy in another brand.

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #212

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
I suppose that's true. If you are spending almost the same, go for more comfort in the larger one, provided you can tow it.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #213

Tennessee
Yep on another brand, don't know much about any of them other than my cousin's Casita which suits their needs as they tow with a pretend Honda "truck" (with a car frame). It seems nice. The Oliver under 17ft is pricey and not worth the double price of comparables.

When we were looking we noticed on the Casita forum they tend to leak and the wooden flooring turns to mush. They also sweat but past those two problems are nice. Casitas have a real brand following and people get touchy when mentioning the floor problem. We don't see many eggs at all east of the Mississippi here in the South. Would love to run into some Escapes and Scamps etc out on the road. Bigfoots look nice. Again on the west coast and Canada production and sales possibility.

Maybe in FL? Know of only 2-3 Oliver owners in TN ironically.

Original poster was vague where they were located and how far they were willing to travel to get an egg. In our case the Oliver is produced in our state. Great when warrantee work is necessary. Even the high priced spreads up to a year old have kinks in them to work out.

We had a 2002 Tundra that had back drum brakes and a smaller engine. Had a truck cap and was all but new and smelled new with only 30K on it. had a bed mat, bed rug walls, and trimmed out nicely. Inside and engine no wear. I mourned having to give it up. Traded it in before picking up the Oliver.

For margin of safety we went up to the larger 4 wheel disk brakes and 5.7 engine V8 Tundra 2016. Had to buy another bed cap and get Linex liner, mats, etc. Fortunately got a great trade in. Our 2002 cherry only lasted until the next morning on the lot.

People don't realize you can pull with practically anything but it's stopping to be concerned about. Also you can have a too short tow vehicle ratio to a longer FB. There are some people who get the Oliver 24ft and have a very unsuitable vehicle. One even tows with a small SUV. Not smart at all and a public safety hazard. The intended hitch doesn't even fit on it. And they wound up smoking off their brakes.

Advice to anyone do your research and math. If you aren't willing to buy a vehicle to match if your existing vehicle is not rated well with a large safety margin you are asking for a world of hurt or you are tempting fate. The intended hitch and leveling/antisway may not work on a small SUV. The aforementioned person twisted his aluminum frame and has had multiple problems too.

Public safety is all of our responsibilities.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #214

Name: Michael
Trailer: Currently shopping
Florida
I respect everyone's opinion here and I appreciate so much all the help all the members have been. I have learned a lot and know there is so much more to learn. Thanks again everybody!
Old 07-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #215

Tennessee
Good thread. Thank you for posting.
Let us know what you arrive at for a decision.
It all comes down to what RV fits your needs and your towing capacity.
Raspy's post was very good.
Figure out what you need in a RV.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #216
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
A bunch of off-topic and/or argumentative posts have been removed from this thread. PLEASE remember to be helpful and courteous.

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #217

Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Huh? I missed a good donnybrook? Shucks.

Main thing is to get out there and camp whatever way you can. Don't worry about picking out a 'perfect' trailer, there's no such thing. And we humans change our minds (and circumstances change too) so quickly, our ideas of what makes a perfect trailer will probably be different in a year or five. Just buy something, start enjoying it, and sort out the details later.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:15 PM   #218

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Huh? I missed a good donnybrook? Shucks.
You didn't miss anything Mike, believe me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Just buy something, start enjoying it, and sort out the details later.
Isn't that what the typical wanna be RVer does? Just show up at an RV dealer lot and buy whatever looks good or the salesman pushes them toward? Fiberglass RVers, by nature I think, give it a little more thought. Cool as they are, fiberglass trailers are still a rarity at your average RV park or campground.

I agree however that holding off until you get the "perfect" one is futile. Get one that checks off most boxes for you and get on with it.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:38 AM   #219

Florida
Quote:

I agree however that holding off until you get the "perfect" one is futile. Get one that checks off most boxes for you and get on with it.
So new readers wouldn't have to read through the entire thread (though it may be worthwhile now that it has been preened) I can report that the trailers that check off the most boxes, at least for us, are in our order of favorites: Eggcamper, Armadillo, Oliver, and Parkliner. What we are waiting for is to get rid of something before we add to our possessions, those being a cabin in northern Michigan and/or a vacant lot in Apalachicola. We have other properties as well but we are not in position to sell due to poor market conditions. I have a personal new rule that I will not accumulate something in addition to what I already have without getting rid of least one of them. Plus we have to attend a January wedding in Mexico and may not get out of there alive (depending on current and future U.S. politics), so we really are prepared to wait to take delivery on a new trailer for sometime in February 2018. But if we sell our cabin within the next few weeks we would most likely order one of the above as we would no longer have our summer sanctuary to hide in. The problems with the above Eggs listed are:
1. Eggcamper is not making new trailers yet.
2. Armadillo is 2000 miles from my cabin and in Canada.
3. Oliver is a hair too big, promises almost perfection, but a bit more expensive than we want to spend for its remarkably few imperfections.
4. Parkliner might also be a bit too big, I might hate dealing with a pushy uneducated dealership salesman, and the interior decor might feel offensive to the tastes of my wife and I.
In the meantime we will continue to view firsthand the eggs we can, proceed in our RV education and troubleshooting, and build new alliances and mentors in the process.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 AM   #220

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post

This is great advice. Get the "most perfect" trailer and get out there. Unless you have property to sell first.... then researching might be the next best thing!
The Lonestar Oliver #135 | Ram 1500 5.7L
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #221

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
We used to say when I was still working and designing things: "Don't let the 'perfect' get in the way of 'good enough'". Or, "The 'perfect' is the enemy of 'good enough'". I am sure people have heard many variations on the theme, and in many different walks of life.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #222

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I can't make a direct suggestion as to which trailer would be best for anyone. However, I would suggest to anyone considering their first trailer that owning a trailer is like owning a boat in terms of maintenance and repair.

In my mind, part and parcel of the search criteria should be ease of maintenance and repair, and the buyer's ability to perform same. Unless the buyer has deep pockets, most of the maintenance and repair will be DIY. That said, the buyer should not only assess what they would like to have in the 'perfect' trailer, but also their current abilities with things mechanical, electrical, etc. and their desire to learn new skills. That done, they will be more cognizant of what will be required to keep the trailer up, particularly things such as the sophistication and accessibility of a trailer's systems.

I believe most of us on this forum have or are acquiring the required skills and are willing to share our knowledge and experience when asked. The ''Maintenance and Restoration" section is witness to this.

I think that most people who are buying their first trailer are experienced campers and have learned to expect the unexpected. However, as we have all seen, there are a lot of folks who are enamored of the open road; camping in idyllic settings as the sun sinks in the west, and don't consider that things are not always perfect.

Maintenance and repair should be a considered right along with the 'gotta haves'. A prospective buyer with a minimal skill set may want to follow the KISS rule.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #223

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
I can't make a direct suggestion as to which trailer would be best for anyone. However, I would suggest to anyone considering their first trailer that owning a trailer is like owning a boat in terms of maintenance and repair...Maintenance and repair should be a considered right along with the 'gotta haves'. A prospective buyer with a minimal skill set may want to follow the KISS rule.
Though newbies ourselves to RV life, the good news is I have a brother who has been "trailering" for years, a super mechanic recently retired from the Michigan's power company, a fellow who can repair almost anything having to do with tires, plumbing, or electrical. I, on the other hand, am a career construction person building anything from logging camps on the islands off Alaska to supervising the construction of all the buildings inside the massive Toyota Assembly Plant in Kentucky. The bad news is we are both getting old.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #224

Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Oh yeah, the MI place... I forgot.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper, oliver, scamp 16, t@b