Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #253

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalywag View Post
I tested mine recently and found that out of the 35 gallon fresh water capacity, I could use all but 4.5 gallons due to the location of the pump pick-up. This condition is being worked by Oliver and several owners and they have a workable and clever solution. It is not a major issue for normal camping, but for long term "dry" camping it could be an annoyance. I am still under warranty, so I will wait until it is incorporated into the design.
Cheers,
That should read "30 gallon fresh water tank". I am only able to use all but the last 4 gallons before the pump goes dry. I watched the video on the Oliver forum site where two owners did a great fix by adding an extended pick-up tube that goes to the bottom of the tank in a LE2.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #254

Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
If this is going to be your first small fiberglass trailer I'd highly recommend finding an inexpensive used model. After your first trip you will know so much more than you know now. After several trips you'll be an expert and know clearly what you want in a trailer. If you find a decent priced used one you should be able to sell it without a loss after trying it out for a year. Lot's of people think they can go totally minimalist when starting out but soon realize that a toilet would be nice or more storage or larger fridge etc. I would never go into major debt without a really good idea of what my wants and needs really are.

After all this research I am thinking this is the best advice yet. We so wanted a brand new trailer of our own but just might have to try your idea out first.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:31 PM   #255
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Please, please, please folks, let's keep this thread on topic. Several more posts have been removed as they were either personal attacks or they referred to same. Please remember:

Troublesome posts should be reported to the moderators. We take these seriously, although we cannot guarantee resolutions that will make everyone happy.

Other site-admin suggestions are welcome if they are made via PM. Please do not side track the discussions with complaints about other members or about moderating decisions, etc.

Above all, personal attacks are never appropriate.

Thank you for helping make FiberglassRV.com a welcoming and useful place to hang out and talk about camping in smallish, molded fiberglass travel trailers.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #256

Name: Andrew
Trailer: On the market
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlcivi View Post
Hi, we have the Scamp 16 with side dinette, front bath. We love it. We also had a GR, Ginger, since passed away. We all fit. All worked out fine. But then again those goodies are so well behaved. We used th clam screen room and ginger just sat and watched everybody around her. We have another pup now, we are going to try camping with him next week, he is going on 6 months old. That shoul b fun. Good luck on your search. Carl

I recently took a look at the Scamp, and wss suprised that they were put together by rivets?! HIt was quite older model, and the owner was clearly showing where they had all come loose rusted out, etc. is that still the case?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #257

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalywag View Post
I tested mine recently and found that out of the 35 gallon fresh water capacity, I could use all but 4.5 gallons due to the location of the pump pick-up. This condition is being worked by Oliver and several owners and they have a workable and clever solution. It is not a major issue for normal camping, but for long term "dry" camping it could be an annoyance. I am still under warranty, so I will wait until it is incorporated into the design.
Cheers,
Depending how high on the sidewall the drain is, they could simply tip the tank (create a slightly inclined platform) and get much more water out. The solution mentioned somewhere, a short piece of a tygon tube that goes close to the bottom of the tank is an elegant and simple solution.

This is also a little bit like the six gallons of water in the water heater, which is practically inaccessible and it is 50 extra pounds that rides along, doing nothing. Are there any practical flow-through LP gas water heaters?
Old 07-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #258

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog View Post
I recently took a look at the Scamp, and wss suprised that they were put together by rivets?! HIt was quite older model, and the owner was clearly showing where they had all come loose rusted out, etc. is that still the case?
The rivets used at the factory are aluminum, so they won't rust. However, some of the body hardware (gravel guard, door holdback, hinge bolts, for example) is low-grade steel, so that's where the rust usually comes from. All that stuff is not hard to replace, and in many cases there are stainless steel alternatives so you won't have to do it again anytime soon.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #259

Florida
Are they still using them with present day Scamps?
Old 07-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #260

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Are they still using them with present day Scamps?
Yes. I just replaced the gravel guard hardware on my 9-year-old Scamp as it was starting to rust. Guessing it would rust faster in a more humid climate. I found out after I had installed the new ones from Scamp (same as the old) that forum member Ian Giles sells a SS version. Next time! He also sells upgraded SS hinge rebuild kits.

I haven't had any issues with loose or leaking rivets, though I have read posts by some that did.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #261

Florida
Sheesh! And I thought scamps and casitas were identical!
Old 07-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #262

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Sheesh! And I thought scamps and casitas were identical!
Similar in concept and price (comparably equipped), but different in many details. Both are riveted. If you do a "Site Search/Google" (bottom of the search menu) on "Scamp vs. Casita" you should turn up a number of old threads that discuss the differences. Of course, best is to see both for yourself.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #263

Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
If I were to buy a used eggcamper up here in Michigan how would I get it to Florida to get it registered and plates?
Old 07-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #264

Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I would simply tow it home. Have the signed-over title on hand in the extremely unlikely (IMO) event of being pulled over.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #265

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
If I were to buy a used eggcamper up here in Michigan how would I get it to Florida to get it registered and plates?
Some states like here in CA, the plate stays with the vehicle unless it's one of the special personal ones. If it should end up being that the plate stays with the owner see if they will let you keep it to get it home and then send it back to them. Would make it a lot easier with a plate on it and not have to get a temporary tag. All they can do is say no.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #266

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Some states like here in CA, the plate stays with the vehicle unless it's one of the special personal ones. If it should end up being that the plate stays with the owner see if they will let you keep it to get it home and then send it back to them. Would make it a lot easier with a plate on it and not have to get a temporary tag. All they can do is say no.
What happens if you DO get stopped and don't have registration to go with the plates?

Tags
eggcamper, oliver, scamp 16, t@b