What trailer to buy? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2017, 12:49 AM   #29

Name: Ray
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
We opted for the 16 foot deluxe scamp because it had a 54 inch bed for floor plan B with a side dinette and front bathroom shower combination. This way the bed is always made up and the dinette is always available. We were also looking at a 16 foot Casita but the Casita did not have a screen door and the refrigerator was much smaller. The refrigerator in the 16 foot scamp is a two Way 4.6 ft. refrigerator. If you are worried about tire size, scamp just started having class D 13" tires for the 16 foot scamp.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:16 AM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver 23, 2014 Ram Cummins
Northern Nevada
I was very interested in an Oliver Elite, but discovered that I could not stand up straight at 6'2". When I finally got to go inside one, I was immediately disappointed. The Elite 2 fixed that, and with it came a nice pantry and just enough more room to be very livable. Plus, I'm a big fan of tandem axles, but did not want a large trailer. Olivers are very well insulated and have all the systems for comfortable boondocking. They have a lot of interesting features and high quality hardware.

I can understand doing careful research and having a list of requirements, but it might be a problem to buy the tow vehicle first and then decide on the trailer with the requirement that it fits comfortably in the tow rating, while still providing all the features you want. Not promoting two footitis, but the trailer must be fun and meet your needs, or you won't want to use it as much as you predict.

Coming from a stickie toy hauler, and already liking Olivers, my decision turned out to be very easy: I saw an Elite 2 for sale, looked at it, and bought it. Done.

My wife and I could not be happier with the decision. This trailer is a lot of fun, versatile, comfortable and surprisingly easy to tow.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #31

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner
South Carolina
Registry
Visit Lil Snoozy in St. Mathews, SC and Parkin error in Liberty, NC.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:04 AM   #32

Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
We are a little different in the sense that we really do not like large homes, trailers, or vehicles. So the Tacoma will have to do. If we can't find a trailer within our parameters then we'll stick to airb&bs and motels. We have downsized to a 1000 sf home in Florida and a 600 sf cabin in northern Michigan. Plan on selling our cabin this summer or asap after. Whether we sell or not will most likely not effect our trailer plans one way or another. That is, if we find the right one.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:06 AM   #33

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy54 View Post
Visit Lil Snoozy in St. Mathews, SC and Parkin error in Liberty, NC.
My wife does not like the looks or interiors of either one of these. So far it is only the Oliver Elite she is interested in. But thanks. I will keep searching.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What trailer to buy?

I will also suggest taking a look at Parkliner. Their new model has a sleek, all-molded interior and retro-styled shape that might appease your wife. It's only 15-16' long, so it should be an easy tow with your Taco, but it manages to pack in a queen-sized bed, separate dinette, wet bath, and 6'5" of interior headroom.

Last time I looked, most of the pictures on their website were still of the old model, so you might have to get in touch with them regarding the new.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #35

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Two cents

Our 1999 16 ft Scamp floor looks the same as the floors in new trailers. I know it looks a little scary underneath but it seems to hold up well. We also have a clam screen tent that sets up in one minute, that is our extra space. Good luck in your search!
John
Old 06-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #36

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
New oliver's cost in the mid to high 40's. My new 2014 scamp was 16,500. That price point may have an effect on your choices. We camp for a few days at a time through the week and maybe a couple weeks at one time once a year. So the less costly route works for us. Carl
Old 06-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #37

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
What about Bob? Is Bob allowed to sleep on people beds? My Lab was not and could not due to arthritis after I got a Casita Spirit Deluxe. He and I played the Move/lookout game in the trailer as he liked to lay in the doorway blocking part of the refrigerator. I lost him last September and will say that camping is easier with a smaller dog who took over that space, but does not block the fridge. The Casita was easy for my Lab to get in and out of but towards the end he was using a ramp most of the time.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #38

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
It sounds to me like an Escape 19 would work for you guys. Permanent queen size bed, 4 person dinette, kitchen and wet bath.
I was gonna say that!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #39

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I will also suggest taking a look at Parkliner. Their new model has a sleek, all-molded interior and retro-styled shape that might appease your wife. It's only 15-16' long, so it should be an easy tow with your Taco, but it manages to pack in a queen-sized bed, separate dinette, wet bath, and 6'5" of interior headroom.

Last time I looked, most of the pictures on their website were still of the old model, so you might have to get in touch with them regarding the new.
The interior I saw she does not like. Now that she has seen the mirrored or smoke-colored glass doors on the Oliver she knows she doesn't want wood. Are you saying the wood doors are gone now on the new model?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #40

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwing View Post
Our 1999 16 ft Scamp floor looks the same as the floors in new trailers. I know it looks a little scary underneath but it seems to hold up well. We also have a clam screen tent that sets up in one minute, that is our extra space. Good luck in your search!
John
We do like the Scamp layout 6 but my wife prefers the glass doors on the cabinets of the Oliver.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #41

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
What about Bob? Is Bob allowed to sleep on people beds? My Lab was not and could not due to arthritis after I got a Casita Spirit Deluxe. He and I played the Move/lookout game in the trailer as he liked to lay in the doorway blocking part of the refrigerator. I lost him last September and will say that camping is easier with a smaller dog who took over that space, but does not block the fridge. The Casita was easy for my Lab to get in and out of but towards the end he was using a ramp most of the time.
As you can probably guess, Bob the dog does whatever he wants to. He gets away with everything. Sleeps wherever he wants to. I have been stepping over him now for almost six years.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #42

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
It sounds to me like an Escape 19 would work for you guys. Permanent queen size bed, 4 person dinette, kitchen and wet bath. We know we love ours. But like others say, it's best to actually spend some time in a few different layouts to get a sense of what really works. On paper, we thought the Escape 17 was what we wanted, and even ordered one, but after spending time in the 17, 19 and 21 models, we quickly changed our order to the 19 and have not looked back since.
The 17' layout "B" looks exactly like what we want, but there is too much interior wood for my wife's taste. She prefers the sleek white fiberglass look with glass doors (mirror, smoke, ...?). Makes the trailer look bigger too.

Tags
eggcamper, oliver, scamp 16, t@b