What trailer to buy? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Civilguy's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 655
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
My wife does not like the looks or interiors of either one of these. So far it is only the Oliver Elite she is interested in. But thanks. I will keep searching.
Michael,

I am always impressed at how so many people on the forum jump in when a new member posts "what to buy?" I mean, this happens all the time and there seems to be this unfailing enthusiasm where folks jump in to offer assistance.

To everything that has been posted I will add a few comments.

First, if the Oliver Elite is all your wife is interested in, I don't know that you will find anything similar.

Next, check the rated payload on your truck. The payload rating can limit the trailer to a weight far, far below the rated towing capacity. Steve Dunham's post here is a good example of the limitations that payload can impose:

Diesel or not, Bigfoot 5th wheel

Finally, I would be interested in hearing why the molded fiberglass in particular is of interest to you. Like everything in this world, it has it's pros and cons.

I'd be interested to hear more about what your perceptions of molded fiberglass are, and what sorts of interests and needs you are looking to meet.
__________________

__________________
- "Character is what you do when nobody’s looking." -
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Posts: 528
For double the price, if it comes down to the cabinet doors being the decider, I think you could find someone to custom build some doors to be installed in any of the other trailers. Probably at a much lower price point than doubling the cost - just a suggestion of another possibility. Many folks change out to custom cabinet doors.
__________________

__________________
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 1,724
Registry
Smoked glass or mirrors, quality hinges and hardware are all simple things that can be added to any trailer to fit your wife's tastes, and you wouldn't have to go to the upper tow limits of your tow vehicle or pay $40K and up to accomplish this.
Best of luck with your search.
Dave & Paula
__________________
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
roguebooks's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
Posts: 133
I always want to hear about how great a specific trailer is and why. I am open to considering anything within our realm of interest. I am attracted to fiberglass because of its durability, ease of cleaning, and sleek looks. We are especially attracted to Oliver's Elite because of the great hardware and components they appear to use, the cabinet doors being glass instead of wood, and the trailer's layout almost perfect for what we want. I do not like the stiff price, but you get what you pay for I suppose. I spoke with a sales consultant today at Oliver and she told me that my 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport can handle towing even the Elite II with ease. She said that just this week a couple picked up their Elite II and left the factory (fully loaded around 5800 lbs) with it towed by their own 2017 Tacoma. We plan on getting up there to look at the trailers around June 27 or so, on our way to our cabin in Michigan.
__________________
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
roguebooks's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Smoked glass or mirrors, quality hinges and hardware are all simple things that can be added to any trailer to fit your wife's tastes, and you wouldn't have to go to the upper tow limits of your tow vehicle or pay $40K and up to accomplish this.
Best of luck with your search.
Dave & Paula
Now that is something I am certainly interested in. And something I have suggested to her (it would help to know where to buy these sorts of things). I am not mechanical, nor a plumber or electrician, but I am a carpenter who is quite handy and pretty darn good. My wife reminds me that I am running out of time however. I am not young anymore and she worries about me taking on another project. I just redid my entire kitchen last fall which nearly did me in.
__________________
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
roguebooks's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
For double the price, if it comes down to the cabinet doors being the decider, I think you could find someone to custom build some doors to be installed in any of the other trailers. Probably at a much lower price point than doubling the cost - just a suggestion of another possibility. Many folks change out to custom cabinet doors.
If I could find a trailer with the necessary layout, with an all-fiberglass interior (including cabinets) and only have to change out the doors, and with fabric choices I could live with for the furniture and beds, I would be thrilled. Ideas?
__________________
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
If I could find a trailer with the necessary layout, with an all-fiberglass interior (including cabinets) and only have to change out the doors, and with fabric choices I could live with for the furniture and beds, I would be thrilled. Ideas?
Scamp 16, the base model, has almost all molded fiberglass interior (doors are wood). Deluxe model has a bigger bed, but it is a wood interior. Cost would be about 1/3 the Oliver, and easier tow wise. Casitas are almost all FG as well. One advantage of not changing your models in 20 years is that you can get a $$ return on molded FG interiors. In the last 6 years, Escape is on their 3rd fifth wheel, their second 17, 19, and 21.

As far as basing whether your truck will do it or not, I am NOT a fan of copying what other people do. So what if someone is doing something, it doesn't make it right for you. I saw someone pulling a Boler with a Honda Fit.

Years ago, I went through TVs, starting with a half ton pickup (RV salesman assured me it had more than enough power to pull the fifth wheel they sold me). Well, after cresting the Vantage climb in I-90 in central WA at a whopping 29MPH, I knew I needed something bigger. If I had lived in Illinois at the time, I probably would have been OK.
__________________
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,145
I understand, when a person sees a certain attractive feature that he or she likes, sometimes it's the deciding factor. After all, we are very visual people and we're going to want to spend plenty of time looking at something nice, not something we find unattractive. I bought a 2011 stick-built trailer that had smoked glass cupboard doors, and I liked 'em. (The roof leaked after only 3.5 years, but that's another story... and good reinforcement for buying molded FG next time!)

If you sell the cabin, it will help you to afford the trailer. And when you have the trailer, you'll have a better cabin. A cabin on wheels! It can be a cabin in the woods, or a cabin on the lake, or whatever.

Where is your N. MI cabin, anyway? I grew up in MI, near Standish. One of my sisters now lives near Petoskey (Alanson, actually).
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Paul O.'s Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Posts: 1,269
How about the Scamp 19 Deluxe fifth wheel. It may be big enough, it tows like dream, no anti-sway or weight distribution hitch needed. Can you find one to look at in your area? I would recommend it.
__________________
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Posts: 799
This is the first year for the Tab 400, that alone would make me leary combined with the name change and activity with the companies involved: Pleasant Valley Teardrops Sets Its Own Path as nüCamp | The Small Trailer Enthusiast I never like being in the "trial" group, I prefer something proven.
__________________
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
roguebooks's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Scamp 16, the base model, has almost all molded fiberglass interior (doors are wood). Deluxe model has a bigger bed, but it is a wood interior. Cost would be about 1/3 the Oliver, and easier tow wise. Casitas are almost all FG as well. One advantage of not changing your models in 20 years is that you can get a $$ return on molded FG interiors. In the last 6 years, Escape is on their 3rd fifth wheel, their second 17, 19, and 21.

As far as basing whether your truck will do it or not, I am NOT a fan of copying what other people do. So what if someone is doing something, it doesn't make it right for you. I saw someone pulling a Boler with a Honda Fit.

Years ago, I went through TVs, starting with a half ton pickup (RV salesman assured me it had more than enough power to pull the fifth wheel they sold me). Well, after cresting the Vantage climb in I-90 in central WA at a whopping 29MPH, I knew I needed something bigger. If I had lived in Illinois at the time, I probably would have been OK.
Thanks Bill. It appears to me that there is fabric or carpet, something, on the walls and ceiling of the Scamp 16. What is it? And why?
__________________
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:38 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
roguebooks's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
How about the Scamp 19 Deluxe fifth wheel. It may be big enough, it tows like dream, no anti-sway or weight distribution hitch needed. Can you find one to look at in your area? I would recommend it.
too big, not for me. 16 is fine.
__________________
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
roguebooks's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
This is the first year for the Tab 400, that alone would make me leary combined with the name change and activity with the companies involved: Pleasant Valley Teardrops Sets Its Own Path as nüCamp | The Small Trailer Enthusiast I never like being in the "trial" group, I prefer something proven.
I tend to side with you on this. Still, I would like to at least see one up close. There isn't any and won't be till fall probably, and by that time I will have most likely made my decision.
__________________
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
roguebooks's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I understand, when a person sees a certain attractive feature that he or she likes, sometimes it's the deciding factor. After all, we are very visual people and we're going to want to spend plenty of time looking at something nice, not something we find unattractive. I bought a 2011 stick-built trailer that had smoked glass cupboard doors, and I liked 'em. (The roof leaked after only 3.5 years, but that's another story... and good reinforcement for buying molded FG next time!)

If you sell the cabin, it will help you to afford the trailer. And when you have the trailer, you'll have a better cabin. A cabin on wheels! It can be a cabin in the woods, or a cabin on the lake, or whatever.

Where is your N. MI cabin, anyway? I grew up in MI, near Standish. One of my sisters now lives near Petoskey (Alanson, actually).
My cabin sits within a seven inland lake community about thirteen miles west of East Tawas which is on Lake Huron about thirty-five miles north of Standish. Our cabin is surrounded by the Huron National Forest and any direction one takes on leaving my sanctuary you have to go through the forest to get where you are going. Beautiful. And I will miss it. But as you know, Michigan went through a terrible downturn and property values are such that my equity has suffered. But nonetheless ready to hit the road after eleven years of bliss up there.
__________________

__________________
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eggcamper, oliver, scamp 16, t@b


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To buy or not to buy? Beachcomber B15, Newby QUESTIONS wfamily Hi, I am.... 9 05-27-2015 03:34 PM
if you were gonna buy a new tow veichle, what would you buy? Robin G General Chat 43 01-21-2009 08:04 PM
Help! Where can I buy trailer tires? Karalyn Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 09-12-2006 02:42 PM
Never buy an accessory bigger than the trailer Gina D. Modifications, Alterations and Updates 28 06-29-2006 09:06 PM
Why we want to buy a fiberglass trailer General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.