What trailer to buy? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #57

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
If I could find a trailer with the necessary layout, with an all-fiberglass interior (including cabinets) and only have to change out the doors, and with fabric choices I could live with for the furniture and beds, I would be thrilled. Ideas?
Michael,

I think there is a special school for RV fabric designers. That's really all I want to say about that as I don't have much nice to say on that front.

My understanding is that Casita does very little in the way of customization; they basically add options and that's about it from what I have heard. I believe that Escape will make many accommodations and even use your fabrics for an upcharge.

There are differences in how much manufacturers will do to accommodate the owner's particulars. Oliver is said to be very good in this respect. I think Scamp also gets good reports.

The Oliver trailer is really unlike any other. The double shell and insulation, along with the quality of the fittings, are standouts in the current molded fiberglass offerings. I think you will benefit from seeing the trailers. There is a broad range of pricing that basically reflects what goes into each.

I have some white laminate with a subtle pattern on hand that I was going to use to make new cabinet doors for our Casita. The material is still on hand because I haven't found that most vital of my tools here, my round tuit. We did invest in a good custom mattress and I have made a few little tweaks, which I enjoy doing. Meanwhile, Momma is talking Lance 1475 as we close in on our planned retirement.

Regarding the truck, trailer sales people have been known to assure a buyer that a vehicle will handle a load. They have also been known to not inquire as to the prospective owner's expectations. They are sometimes flat out wrong whether due to ignorance or design.

Glancing at the specs on your truck, I question whether you would have a satisfactory experience hauling the Elite II. There is one person that has your interests at heart more than any other. Keep asking questions.

I multiply our 4,400 lb tow rating by 75% and allow 600 lbs for the gear. That's 2,700 lbs, just about a match for the dry weight of our Casita. I also keep an eye on the payload. I feel that the combination performs well overall, though it's certainly not like having the torque of a diesel. Mileage is about 25 on the highway, 20 in town, and 15 when towing. I'm not terribly concerned about the cost of the fuel, however those numbers reflect the work that the vehicle is actually doing and probably would be reflected in the wear if we towed much.

I glanced at the new Tab on the lot last Sunday. I smiled and thought "we've come a long ways in three years since we started with a teardrop". I moved on with hardly a second look at the Tab and closely checked out a Bigfoot.

I didn't want all the con-sarned infernal complications when we started trailering. I'm now quite taken with the miracle of the three-way refrigerator and many other aspects of a fully outfitted trailer. It's been an evolution and I've enjoyed it. (I haven't ever changed my mind, but I have made new decisions based on new information as Zig Ziglar used to say.)

There's lots to look at and to learn. The decision is very personal. Best of luck. I always enjoy helping other people spend their money.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:06 PM   #58

Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Michael,

I think there is a special school for RV fabric designers. That's really all I want to say about that as I don't have much nice to say on that front.

My understanding is that Casita does very little in the way of customization; they basically add options and that's about it from what I have heard. I believe that Escape will make many accommodations and even use your fabrics for an upcharge.

There are differences in how much manufacturers will do to accommodate the owner's particulars. Oliver is said to be very good in this respect. I think Scamp also gets good reports.

The Oliver trailer is really unlike any other. The double shell and insulation, along with the quality of the fittings, are standouts in the current molded fiberglass offerings. I think you will benefit from seeing the trailers. There is a broad range of pricing that basically reflects what goes into each.

I have some white laminate with a subtle pattern on hand that I was going to use to make new cabinet doors for our Casita. The material is still on hand because I haven't found that most vital of my tools here, my round tuit. We did invest in a good custom mattress and I have made a few little tweaks, which I enjoy. Meanwhile, Momma is talking Lance 1475 as we close in on our planned retirement.

Regarding the truck, trailer sales people have been known to assure a buyer that a vehicle will handle a load. They have also been known to not inquire as to the prospective owner's expectations. They are sometimes flat out wrong whether due to ignorance or design.

Glancing at the specs on your truck, I question whether you would have a satisfactory experience hauling the Elite II. There is one person that has your interests at heart more than any other. Keep asking questions.

I multiply our 4,400 lb tow rating by 75% and allow 600 lbs for the gear. That's 2,700 lbs, just about a match for the dry weight of our Casita. I also keep an eye on the payload. I feel that the combination performs well overall, though it's certainly not like having the torque of a diesel. Mileage is about 25 on the highway, 20 in town, and 15 when towing. I'm not terribly concerned about the cost of the fuel, however those numbers reflect the work that the vehicle is actually doing and probably would be reflected in the wear if we towed much.

I glanced at the new Tab on the lot last Sunday. I smiled and thought "we've come a long ways in three years since we started with a teardrop". I moved on with hardly a second look at the Tab and closely checked out a Bigfoot.

I didn't want all the con-sarned infernal complications when we started trailering. I'm now quite taken with the miracle of the three-way refrigerator and many other aspects of a fully outfitted trailer. It's been an evolution and I've enjoyed it. (I haven't ever changed my mind, but I have made new decisions based on new information as Zig Ziglar used to say.)

There's lots to look at and to learn. The decision is very personal. Best of luck. I always enjoy helping other people spend their money.
Baby brother (recently retired, long-time trailer person driving a diesel pickup w/fifth wheel) suggested we get a Lance 1475 as your wife wants. it looks like a great trailer, but I again do not like all the wood. I do like the leather however. Fabric designers for RV's have terrible taste, I agree. Horrid actually. And I don't really want to have to do much if any renovations on a "new" trailer. But I just started looking and I can change. I appreciate your help. That avatar of yours looks like someone I used to know back in the day. Baseball. Looks like the fellow who liked to sharpen his spikes for his slides into second.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #59

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
I also had a cabin in the moutainous woods of Pa. We sold it after 20 years of hard work keeping it going. as I got older it kind of got harder to take care of it. When i was home i worried about up there, when i was up there i worried about home down there. Then being retired there was double exspences, taxes were the big thing. So i got the Scamp now my country home is a traveling home. It an go to beach or in the desert or a near big attractions.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #60

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks Bill. It appears to me that there is fabric or carpet, something, on the walls and ceiling of the Scamp 16. What is it? And why?
Its insulation. Scamp, Casita, Escape and most others with single wall trailers have something covering the fiberglass as insulation. Naturally, one should not expect Oliver construction details on a trailer that cost 1/3 as much. At the same time, Scamp has proven long term durability, you see 30+ year old Scamps out there doing their job.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #61

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
That avatar of yours looks like someone I used to know back in the day. Baseball. Looks like the fellow who liked to sharpen his spikes for his slides into second.
Honus? I thought he was a pretty good guy, but then it was a rough game.

I don't know about the spike sharpening stories. I wasn't there.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #62

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlcivi View Post
I also had a cabin in the moutainous woods of Pa. We sold it after 20 years of hard work keeping it going. as I got older it kind of got harder to take care of it. When i was home i worried about up there, when i was up there i worried about home down there. Then being retired there was double exspences, taxes were the big thing. So i got the Scamp now my country home is a traveling home. It an go to beach or in the desert or a near big attractions.
Sounds like a great lifestyle and one I am ready to embrace.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #63

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Honus? I thought he was a pretty good guy, but then it was a rough game.

I don't know about the spike sharpening stories. I wasn't there.
My mistake. Honus Wagner it is. I knew I knew that face. For some reason I was thinking it might be Ty Cobb who was famous for playing rough and dirty. Great avatar.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:10 AM   #64

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
Buy a 17.5" bigfoot in BC Canada

Your American dollar buys $1.36 Canadian. Why would you forgo a 36% discount on arguably the best FG trailer made in North America? Bigfoots are currently built in Armstrong BC and there are a number of dealers that will help you purchase one in BC and take it legally home to the USA. Its not a big deal but it is a huge dollar saving! When we listed our 17.5" Bigfoot a couple years ago 11 out of 12 inquiries were from Americans. We wound up selling it to neighbours for full asking price of $25,000 Canadian. It was a 2008 model. We now own a 21' dual axle as we needed more room towed with a new Pathfinder. When thinking of purchasing a trailer don't forget your neighbours to the North for savings. By the way, this is the reason all our late model used trucks are being scooped up by American dealers and shipped south.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:58 AM   #65

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninklink View Post
Your American dollar buys $1.36 Canadian. Why would you forgo a 36% discount on arguably the best FG trailer made in North America? Bigfoots are currently built in Armstrong BC and there are a number of dealers that will help you purchase one in BC and take it legally home to the USA. Its not a big deal but it is a huge dollar saving! When we listed our 17.5" Bigfoot a couple years ago 11 out of 12 inquiries were from Americans. We wound up selling it to neighbours for full asking price of $25,000 Canadian. It was a 2008 model. We now own a 21' dual axle as we needed more room towed with a new Pathfinder. When thinking of purchasing a trailer don't forget your neighbours to the North for savings. By the way, this is the reason all our late model used trucks are being scooped up by American dealers and shipped south.
Thanks. Just don't like all the carpet, fabric, and wood in a Bigfoot. Otherwise looks like a nice trailer. I do love my neighbors to the north.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #66

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Thanks Bill. It appears to me that there is fabric or carpet, something, on the walls and ceiling of the Scamp 16. What is it? And why?
The Scamp walls have Reflectix insulation (air bubble stuff) and what the experts here refer to as "rat fur" (marine headliner). That is what gives the wall the soft, warm feel. The rat fur is hydrophobic, which makes it easy to keep clean.

When hooked up to a Tacoma, the total length of the combination is exactly the same for a 16 and 19, so it should cost the same on any ferry that charges by length.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #67

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
The Scamp walls have Reflectix insulation (air bubble stuff) and what the experts here refer to as "rat fur" (marine headliner). That is what gives the wall the soft, warm feel. The rat fur is hydrophobic, which makes it easy to keep clean.

When hooked up to a Tacoma, the total length of the combination is exactly the same for a 16 and 19, so it should cost the same on any ferry that charges by length.
I must be dumb but that does not make sense. Is the 16 measured in feet? And the 19 in feet? Seems the latter would be three feet longer. What is wrong with my thinking? And just for the record, I began my FG search with the Scamp 13, morphed into the 16 (plan 6) and then discovered the Ollie and my life changed. Or my wife did. I need more pics for the Scamp 16 and more info. Where to find?
Old 06-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #68

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Scamp 19 is a fifth wheel style, and Paul's comment had to do with total rig length- trailer and tug. Truck plus 16' bumper pull is about the same total length as truck plus 19' fifth wheel.

Have you visited the Scamp website? They have pictures and a video.

If you are looking at Scamps and your wife is looking at Olivers, it seems like you have some work ahead... Getting a look at some first hand would be a start.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #69

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Towing my 5.0TA with my truck, I'm within mere inches of the same total length as when I towed my 16' Scamp bumper pull with the same truck. The BIG difference is I now have 20 feet of interior length space, versus 13 feet and the 5.0TA is 10 inches wider. In comparison, my Escape feels huge... but, it's really not.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #70

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
If I could find a trailer with the necessary layout, with an all-fiberglass interior (including cabinets) and only have to change out the doors, and with fabric choices I could live with for the furniture and beds, I would be thrilled. Ideas?
Just for giggles, here's something different.

Or, as Rocky the flying squirrel used to say, "and now here's something we hope you'll really like!"

It's not fiberglass, but has Euro-style cabinetry and finishes. If you click on the left menu items on the first link below, you can see some additional interior photos.

https://www.eriba.com/en/models/cara...ng/highlights/

You are being redirected...

This is something that they are going to build in Canada from an established European design. There will be some delay as they secure North American approvals for various aspects of the designs.

These are pop-tops, but an interview I read a week or so back indicated they are going to come up with a hard shell roof for the American market. The new 250,000 sq ft factory was under construction as of last September, so they sound committed to the project.

By the way, I think searching the Internet for Hymer gave more relevant results than looking for Eriba.
Attached Thumbnails
Hymer 2016rvia-1-1024x681.jpg   Hymer 2016rvia-27.jpg  

Tags
eggcamper, oliver, scamp 16, t@b