What trailer to buy? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #71

Name: Michael
Trailer: Currently shopping
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The Scamp 19 is a fifth wheel style, and Paul's comment had to do with total rig length- trailer and tug. Truck plus 16' bumper pull is about the same total length as truck plus 19' fifth wheel.

Have you visited the Scamp website? They have pictures and a video.

If you are looking at Scamps and your wife is looking at Olivers, it seems like you have some work ahead... Getting a look at some first hand would be a start.
Ahh, now that makes sense. Thanks. I like the Oliver too, but considering everything.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #72

Florida
Too much wood. Fiberglass will most likely win out. But thanks.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #73

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
Too much wood. Fiberglass will most likely win out. But thanks.
Huh. My wife really likes wood.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #74

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Deciding on a trailer is an interesting journey. I love hearing the "whys" and "whatnots" how people come to a conclusion. There is the "best" trailer for everyone... just need to decide what that is. For instance, Scamp is mostly fiberglass on the inside, but some folks are willing to pay more for all wood. Others love the shiny, all fiberglass walls of some builds.. while others say, that would be like camping/sleeping inside a refrigerator.. too sterile. For me, it was all about layout. I needed a comfortable place to sleep and a comfortable place to sit inside during long damp days/nights. I got it!

May everyone find theirs too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #75

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I will also suggest taking a look at Parkliner. Their new model has a sleek, all-molded interior and retro-styled shape that might appease your wife. It's only 15-16' long, so it should be an easy tow with your Taco, but it manages to pack in a queen-sized bed, separate dinette, wet bath, and 6'5" of interior headroom.
Quote:
The interior I saw she does not like. Now that she has seen the mirrored or smoke-colored glass doors on the Oliver she knows she doesn't want wood. Are you saying the wood doors are gone now on the new model?
This is the updated model. Don't know if this is what you were looking at. The only wood components are the maple cabinet doors. Oliver is the only manufacturer offering mirrored or smoked glass cabinet doors, so unless you want to do an upgrade yourself, Oliver is it.
ParkLiner Introduces Longer 16-Foot Model: Designed to Give You Peace of Mind! – ParkLiner
Old 06-02-2017, 03:24 PM   #76

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
parkliner layout....

that parkliner layout is genius in my opinion....and gives you lots of different ways to use the trailer....for a couple or a single camper

that screen door is an improvement over the same in most trailers and the closet behind the screen door is a great idea...(anytime you can make something do double duty in a small space you're "gaining"....kudos for the trapezoid (?) shape of the wet bath....I really like wet baths in trailers...I wish mine was shaped like that

kitchen "unit" is a bit on the small side...but hey, you can't have everything...where would you put it
Old 06-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #77

Florida
Casita

I watched a couple Casita youtube videos today and it looks like a nice trailer. I might be able to work with one of these, but my concern is with the carpet on the walls. I know I cannot expect Oliver quality with these so-called lesser units, but I am a bit adverse to having carpet on my walls as insulation. Seems a little bit tacky to me, respectfully saying, that is. No offense to any casita owners out there. Just want to know why and how it is accepted by others in the normal course of an overnight stay.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #78

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
that parkliner layout is genius in my opinion....and gives you lots of different ways to use the trailer....for a couple or a single camper

that screen door is an improvement over the same in most trailers and the closet behind the screen door is a great idea...(anytime you can make something do double duty in a small space you're "gaining"....kudos for the trapezoid (?) shape of the wet bath....I really like wet baths in trailers...I wish mine was shaped like that

kitchen "unit" is a bit on the small side...but hey, you can't have everything...where would you put it
My wife and I watched a Parkliner video today on youtube and weren't feeling the love for this trailer. It looks like a good one, but just didn't feel right to us.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #79

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
I watched a couple Casita youtube videos today and it looks like a nice trailer. I might be able to work with one of these, but my concern is with the carpet on the walls. I know I cannot expect Oliver quality with these so-called lesser units, but I am a bit adverse to having carpet on my walls as insulation. Seems a little bit tacky to me, respectfully saying, that is. No offense to any casita owners out there. Just want to know why and how it is accepted by others in the normal course of an overnight stay.
Basically, the alternative is to sleep in the rain forest exhibit. Molded fiberglass is like the hull of a fiberglass boat. It's not very thick, has little insulation value, and water vapor condenses on it readily. So, the carpet and rat fur linings beat the alternative. And, yes, they are put up with a tacky adhesive.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #80

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Quote:
It is accepted because that's how they make them. People who buy Olivers accept the hospital like interior because that's how they make them. People accept the Scamp rat fur for the same reason. With Escape, people accept the wood interior. The only choice is to buy a different brand.

My personal choice is carpet is the worst, tends to hold water and dry slowly. Wood is next. The Scamp rat fur/fiberglass I would rate second best and the Oliver is the best. But then add floor plan. In our case Casita and Oliver are the worst. Escape is the best. Then add cost.

If I could have a choice, give me Oliver construction + Escape floor plan + Scamp price = perfect!
Old 06-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #81

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
It is accepted because that's how they make them. People who buy Olivers accept the hospital like interior because that's how they make them. People accept the Scamp rat fur for the same reason. With Escape, people accept the wood interior. The only choice is to buy a different brand.

My personal choice is carpet is the worst, tends to hold water and dry slowly. Wood is next. The Scamp rat fur/fiberglass I would rate second best and the Oliver is the best. But then add floor plan. In our case Casita and Oliver are the worst. Escape is the best. Then add cost.

If I could have a choice, give me Oliver construction + Escape floor plan + Scamp price = perfect!
That's what I want. The last one. And I can't have it. Now, back to work. One question however, why specifically, in your opinion, is the Escape floor plan the best and Oliver/Casita the worst? I do appreciate your tolerance and helpfulness. As well as my Honus Wagner friend. He is nice and helpful too.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #82

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
That's what I want. The last one. And I can't have it. Now, back to work. One question however, why specifically, in your opinion, is the Escape floor plan the best and Oliver/Casita the worst? I do appreciate your tolerance and helpfulness. As well as my Honus Wagner friend. He is nice and helpful too.
Michael,

Not that you asked me, you are beginning to get into into some of what makes these work for different folks. We were looking at trailers again this morning and realized how much our understanding of our wants and needs, and also of the RV's themselves, has evolved over three years since we purchased a teardrop.

Just to use this household as an example, we are currently taken with the Lance 1475 due to a number of factors. First, we only need a couple's trailer.

To date we have employed the simple expedient of choosing our campgrounds based on the restroom ratings (see Woodall's guide). But, I think my wife is yielding to the siren's call to have a bath of her own. We've actually only used the Casita's for storage to date.

The bath is a dry bath so there will be no mopping up required after showering. One can address the restroom mirror without the toilet cutting into your leg. It has a shower curtain which allows a little encroachment into the adjoining space, unlike some of the rigid and semi-rigid doors which many units are fitted with.

The fridge is a 5.3 cu ft 3-way; the Casita's is 4.0 cu ft, so that's a nice prospective improvement. The counter-tops are fairly large, which offsets the very small dining table. One is a bit elevated, which we find easier on our backs; we normally haul a folding table that elevates to counter-top height. (I have also considered building a short-legged table to set on picnic tables to lighten our cargo load a bit.)

The swivel chairs in the Lance are extremely comfortable; the captain's chairs are a really big part of why we purchased the Casita.

The exterior access doors to the under-bed storage area measure about 16.5" x 40" which would readily accommodate our 20"-wheel folding bikes. The east-west bed is only a minor nuisance to us; other people would like twin beds or a north/south bed as this is an important factor to them. However, a north-south bed wouldn't offer us the exterior storage access to fit our bikes out of the rain and away from covetous eyes. So it's a good compromise for us.

Some folks don't care to use propane. We are fine with it, in fact it promotes operation of the refrigerator off the grid which we appreciate as we like to eat a lot fresh produce. Others would want more solar and/or batteries and/or a second cylinder of LP. I think we could make this work, although I am admittedly considering some judicious welding on the A-frame to expand capacity there.

Some of the cons include the manner in which it is manufactured (watch the factory tour video); my ability to "tinker" and modify the trailer would be seriously limited by things such as the way the wiring is encapsulated within the walls. It's also perhaps a bit light on storage cabinets, but we will be assessing that factor again soon. The back is too square; perhaps curiously, the shape of the back seriously affects the aerodynamics. I would add Airtabs to mitigate the stability and mileage issues inherent to the design; I hear they are particularly effective with regard to the stability.

In the end, everyone has different tastes and needs, and everything is a compromise. I saw one molded fiberglass trailer that the couple was selling after one night of use. They had waited months to get it new from the factory and apparently felt after their first night out that they'd be more comfortable hanging out in the back yard on their acreage. That was an extreme case, but in broad terms it is an oft-repeated story.

Since we are building hybrids today, I would say that if the shell on the Lance was of molded fiberglass and I wasn't concerned with its potential to leak, I would probably be doing the "shut up and take my money" routine.

As it is, I am pondering our ability to provide covered storage under the local codes. My theory is that drying the trailer out between between showers would be a significant mitigating factor. The prospects of a leaky RV in the perennially wet Pacific Northwest are not anything to take lightly. So, I'm working my way through it methodically as is my nature.
Attached Thumbnails
Shut-up-and-take-my-money-25.jpg  
Old 06-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #83

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
I don't like front bath. I like a large bed (at least queen size) and a large dinette. With Casita, to get a bigger bed, you lose the dinette, and even the models with a dinette, the dinette is small. Oliver Elite II has a big bed, but again, a really small dinette. They need to lose the side dinette, put in a side bath, and put a large dinette up front. That would take a total redesign of their trailers, and new molds.

Look at the Escape 19 and 21 floor plans. Both have large dinettes on one end, large bed on the other. 19 has a larger bed believe it or not, but its a crawl over style.

Escape dinettes on the 19 and 21 can both hold four people, or two people with "stuff". The largish dinettes can also convert in an emergency to a decent sized bed. Our dinette would be a 46 x 80 bed. On long trips, the ability to have a second bed just in case is a real plus.

Converting side dinettes to beds is more of a joke. You are talking a bed that is 23 or 24 inches wide. Its more like a sleeping "slot". Notice bed size is not listed?

When manufacturers like Oliver and Casita say "twin sized bed" the beds are not twin sized. They are much smaller (Casitas are smaller than Oliver).

Considering the Oliver Elite II is 23-6 long, they have a HUGE edge space wise that they squander with the front bath (IMHO). If I were "king", I'd make the bath smaller and put it on the side, and a dinette on the opposite end to the bed. Most prefer a front bed, so I would put the king sized bed up front, move the door back a ways, and the dinette in the rear, something like a 48 inch deep dinette. Most of your time in a trailer will either be spent seated at the dinette, or in bed. I would not sacrifice dinette space to make a larger bath.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #84

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
This reminds me of a poster a coworker had hanging in his office decades ago. It was a joke on those sometimes silly motivation posters and it said:
GOOD, FAST, CHEAP! - PICK ANY TWO

Quote:
That's what I want. The last one. And I can't have it. Now, back to work. One question however, why specifically,...
Don't forget those two 5th wheel campers in this (FG) category. This is an interesting thread with a lot of different recommendations and preferences. Take time to absorb and digest it, see as many of these campers as you can, and you will find the right one. Then comes the most important part. Go out and see places and, as Donna says, make memories.

Tags
eggcamper, oliver, scamp 16, t@b