What trailer to buy? - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #99

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
I watched a couple Casita youtube videos today and it looks like a nice trailer. I might be able to work with one of these, but my concern is with the carpet on the walls. I know I cannot expect Oliver quality with these so-called lesser units, but I am a bit adverse to having carpet on my walls as insulation. Seems a little bit tacky to me, respectfully saying, that is. No offense to any casita owners out there. Just want to know why and how it is accepted by others in the normal course of an overnight stay.
My experience is with Scamp and the "rat fur". I find the fabric very warm and comforting, especially on cold, zero degree F nights. Never felt cold radiating into my bed. I like the looks of the rat fur, and would probably get accustomed and fond of the carpet interior as well. Mine is a 1999 and the interior looks clean and appealing still, no stains or smell.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #100

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Baby brother loves the Lance 1475 and thinks it would serve us better, but my wife just does not like it at all. Like you, I would be very concerned with it leaking at some point and the argument has been made that rolling down the road causes extreme hardship on the bodies of trailers not fiberglass. They come unglued. So, other than the T@B 400 (which I am still considering if I ever get to see one in time) we are sticking to fiberglass. The Casita 17' Adventurer strikes me as an interesting outfit, but my bet is that we will be spending a large chunk of our hard-earned money on the Oliver Elite. Every time we see one it reminds us of what it was like in the seventies to see those beautiful Airstreams of yore. For us, at least, the Oliver is the new Airstream. But ouch ouch ouch. It pains me to think of paying that much for a trailer. And last night we even considered again moving up to the Elite II as it really isn't that much bigger or expensive, but we really want to remain being minimalists and will most likely stick with the small one for many reasons, one being maneuverability (and it would actually fit in my short driveway).
Michael,

Just to be clear, I am really not advocating the Lance for you or for anyone. My lengthy post was intended to highlight some of the factors that underlay people's choices. I often state that choices are very personal; that's an article of faith with me. In particular, I really liked the way that thrifty bill and Raspy posted just behind me with completely different perspectives and opinions. I read it all avidly to expand my own knowledge and perspective.

I also subscribe to the notion that our perspectives and circumstances change over time. So, what's right for today may not be so tomorrow. Layout, storage, tow-ability, propane or electric, there's a lot to consider. Some folks don't want a bathroom in their little home. Some wouldn't own a trailer without one. It's all about what works for each.

I actually enjoy reading posts from other people more than I do posting my own. I have a habit of posting very lengthy tomes. It's my effort to contribute something to the mix while sorting out my own thoughts. I figure that as someone three-years-new to trailering, hopefully something I write will help someone along the way. But there are many others with much greater experience with these and other RV's and their observations and opinions are much more informed than my own.

I was on the Airstream forum the other day and noticed some mention of the small beds, insulation falling down, leaks, and how hard they can be to cool. My point here is not to bash Airstreams, I consider them an aspiration in some respects. However, coming from a bicycling, climbing and backpacking background, the challenge of traveling comfortably with a minimum has always absorbed my interest. My approach was basically that if it I had to wear every stitch I was carrying and wrap myself in my mummy bag or bivvy sack to just keep from hypothermia in that coldest cold hour before sunrise, then I had packed perfectly; not too little, not too much.

Personally, the biggest challenge I see in this whole process of "choosing" is figuring it all out in advance of doing it. While there's much to be said for the process of browsing the Internet and learning from others, you and your wife will have your own needs, desires and preferences to discover, and those won't be clear until later in the journey. It's the age old conundrum of where to start. Maybe Bob there is the one who knows; ask him!

As Borrego Dave and Donna and others have noted, you would benefit from getting out and taking a look at these things. A rally may even be better than a factory tour as folks will show and tell what trailering is actually like; it's much different from a showroom lot with a fragile glass vase of flowers on the counter-top.

My wife was shocked when our purchased-sight-unseen used Casita arrived (we didn't even have a suitable tow vehicle and had it delivered). "The pictures lie!" she declared as she took in it's not-very-largeness. But, it's been a pleasure and we are in fact enjoying it tremendously. Much of what prompts our continued searching is pending longer journeys in a couple of years, and the silly little 20" folding bikes. And, perhaps the worst curse of all, the ability to afford something different. Without that, we'd just stay content as bugs in a rug. After all, happiness is ultimately just a state of mind.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:32 AM   #101

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Don't feel bad about not knowing. Heck, all this time I thought Civilguy's avatar was his self-portrait! I always wondered why he chose such a sad-faced picture of himself.

About layouts... my ideal trailer layout would have a rear dinette with a large picture window on the back wall. Why? Because the best view in the CG is often behind the trailer; second best would be a side dinette with window, while front dinettes present a lousy view of the back of the tow vehicle. I'd want a very comfy chair or sofa for sitting. I'd like a true queen size mattress, 80" long. A large, gas/electric (auto-switching) refrigerator with separate freezer door above it. A gas/electric DSI (direct spark ignition) water heater. Solid wood cabinets. 4-season insulation with double-pane jalousie windows. At least a 30 gallon fresh water tank. All this in a low-profile, molded-FG package under 19' long, for less than $20k. I might be looking for a loooooong time for this 'perfect trailer', though. At some point I'll have to decide what I am willing to settle for.

I think I see pretty much where your cabin must be. I've camped a dozen miles north of there on the banks of the AuSable.
Hey Mike, Here's the real explanation; I figured if I was going to be a virtual person on the web, then I could go ahead and pick an avatar much handsomer than me!

Also, I'll second the rear dinette. Having been fixated on rear baths for some time of late, we looked at several trailers with rear dinette arrangements and three rear windows last night. But oh, those swivel chairs. With the exception of an Airstream, we haven't found dinettes to be very comfortable. Maybe they just need a good dose of "replace the factory foam with better." That's how we dealt with our mattress in the Casita.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #102

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
For me the problem with most dinettes is not so much the foam as the bolt upright angle of the backrest. The front sofa of our Scamp has an angled backrest, and oh, the difference it makes.

I lived in a Holiday Rambler many years ago, and it had the layout shared by many older Airstreams: a couch across the front with a fold-out table for dining. I kept a small folding chair to set up in the aisle when I really needed an upright seat. I prefer that to a dinette.

At the beach last week the rear view was a chain link fence and the front view was the ocean (tug parked off to the side). I love the front AND back windows in our Scamp, since every place we camp is different.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:52 AM   #103

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The problem with most dinettes is not as much the foam as the bolt upright angle of the backrest. The front sofa of our Scamp has an angled backrest, and oh, the difference it makes.
Very true! I have looked closely at many trailers and found the uncompromising 90-degree seatback to be the rule as it saves space and flat cushions facilitate that second and third and fourth bed which many people need.

On the other hand, we used to feel the piping from the Casita cushions when we slept, even though we used an old rectangular cloth Coleman sleeping bag as a topper.

Sometimes I think I'm not getting older, I'm getting more irritable!
Old 06-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #104

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
..Sometimes I think I'm not getting older, I'm getting more irritable!
I'm not old, I'm experienced, and it doesn't make me grouchy, just particular...

"I see," she says, "and what exactly is the difference?"
Old 06-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #105

Name: Michael
Trailer: Currently shopping
Florida
I like Lil Snoozy but my wife does not. Happy wife, happy life.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #106

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
My experience is with Scamp and the "rat fur". I find the fabric very warm and comforting, especially on cold, zero degree F nights. Never felt cold radiating into my bed. I like the looks of the rat fur, and would probably get accustomed and fond of the carpet interior as well. Mine is a 1999 and the interior looks clean and appealing still, no stains or smell.
Do you have a "close-up" pic of the rat fur you could share?
Old 06-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #107

Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
The Hauley was my camping trailer last summer and will be this summer, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HauleyCampingInterior.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	106900

It serves the purpose, marginally, until I settle on something. Right now I'm in transition, though; I switched from sales to teaching 7th grade math last fall, and now I'm switching back to sales. Until the income picture becomes clearer I'm biding my time.

I will also 'fess up that I am attracted to a stickie, the Outdoors RV Black Rock 18DB. http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/black-rock/ Nice floor plan IMO, heavy frame, and one of the better built stick trailers out there. I'd rather have something 3'-4' shorter, 1000 lbs lighter, and molded... but for $20K it does meet nearly all of my other desires. There's a used 2013 in CA for $14K, and if things weren't uncertain for me right now I'd go get it. My Lexus GX (rated for 6500 lbs towing, 975 lbs on hitch) would handle it.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #108

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Do you have a "close-up" pic of the rat fur you could share?
Michael!

Close-ups pictures of rat fur?!?

Read up on marine headliner fabric if you must. But, you really need to get out there and smell the fiberglass!
Old 06-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #109

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I would have a really hard time paying that kind of money for the smaller Oliver. It has pretty much the same layout as a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe and shares its limitations- crawl-over bed, limited storage, and (especially) no counter space in the galley- at more than double the price. If it were my money- and it isn't- I'd at least try out a used Casita for a season, or even one longer trip, to find out if the layout really suits before springing for the smaller Oliver. If it works, you can buy the Oliver with confidence, and if it doesn't, the financial pain of trading up will be much less.
Good advice. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #110

Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
'Rat fur' is just a fuzzy fabric, more or less. Very neutral and non-obvious, unlike Casita's plush wall carpeting.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #111

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Vermont
See my post #66. Nothing beats seeing those things with your very own eyes and touching with your very own fingers (before you buy).
Old 06-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #112

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
See my post #66. Nothing beats seeing those things with your very own eyes and touching with your very own fingers (before you buy).
I remember your post. And i went back and read again. But a picture tells a lot and would help today as I don't think I will be near any Scamps in the near future. Doesn't sound appetizing, but perhaps rat fur is not as bad as it sounds. I did a google search for "Scamp rat fur" and got more images than I can use. Not too bad. Different. Hmm.

Tags
eggcamper, oliver, scamp 16, t@b