What trailer to buy? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 03:52 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
What trailer to buy?

Hi. First post. New member. My wife and I decided to hit the road and see the continent. We are both sixty-three and have an English Golden Retriever named Bob. A couple days ago we traded in our Jeep Renegade for a Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 (haul rate at around 6,600 lbs). Looking to find a trailer less than 20' total length and no more than 3,500 lbs. unloaded. We began our search years ago beginning with the Camp-In teardrop but never could get used to the idea of crawling in and out and having no dining area. We evolved into thinking we needed a permanent bed with a small dinette. I saw a few Scamps on the road and thought the 16' would be perfect and it had the layout we needed. But then my wife discovered the Eggcamper, but it appears poor health has forced the production of new trailers to a standstill. But then I found the Oliver Elite. And once my wife saw it she said she would have nothing else. Difficult to get anybody to return my emails at Oliver or to find out how to get one on order. We do plan on visiting their plant in about a month on the way up to our cabin in northern Michigan from our home in Melbourne, Florida. But since we bought the new truck I kept my search going for a trailer to fit our needs and discovered the new T@B 400. That trailer seems to make more sense to me but I have yet to sell my wife on the idea. I want to drive across the state to see one but it appears the 400's are sold out and all that remains are 320's (which users love) but I think they just won't fit our needs due to the lack of a permanent bed. We both feel we need the extra two-person dinette. Obviously we need help in choosing the right trailer for us and learning how to get one. We are not in a rush but I plan on having something no later than February of 2018.
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:30 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
Hi. First post. New member. My wife and I decided to hit the road and see the continent. We are both sixty-three and have an English Golden Retriever named Bob. A couple days ago we traded in our Jeep Renegade for a Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 (haul rate at around 6,600 lbs). Looking to find a trailer less than 20' total length and no more than 3,500 lbs. unloaded. We began our search years ago beginning with the Camp-In teardrop but never could get used to the idea of crawling in and out and having no dining area. We evolved into thinking we needed a permanent bed with a small dinette. I saw a few Scamps on the road and thought the 16' would be perfect and it had the layout we needed. But then my wife discovered the Eggcamper, but it appears poor health has forced the production of new trailers to a standstill. But then I found the Oliver Elite. And once my wife saw it she said she would have nothing else. Difficult to get anybody to return my emails at Oliver or to find out how to get one on order. We do plan on visiting their plant in about a month on the way up to our cabin in northern Michigan from our home in Melbourne, Florida. But since we bought the new truck I kept my search going for a trailer to fit our needs and discovered the new T@B 400. That trailer seems to make more sense to me but I have yet to sell my wife on the idea. I want to drive across the state to see one but it appears the 400's are sold out and all that remains are 320's (which users love) but I think they just won't fit our needs due to the lack of a permanent bed. We both feel we need the extra two-person dinette. Obviously we need help in choosing the right trailer for us and learning how to get one. We are not in a rush but I plan on having something no later than February of 2018.
Welcome to FGRV Michael. You might want to visit a FG rally or two before you decide on something as there are many options/sizes and floor plans to pick from. Saturdays are generally the open house day but most owners are happy to show and answer questions about their eggs. Funny thing, they all do look good on paper but once you get inside......
Just for info, the Tabs are not molded FG TTs like the Oliver and other makes this site follows, kind of apples and oranges to their build. You could give us some of the wants you're looking for in a TT and we can give you some suggestions to units to look at. Whatever you end up with Bob has to approve too .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:37 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
Hi, we have the Scamp 16 with side dinette, front bath. We love it. We also had a GR, Ginger, since passed away. We all fit. All worked out fine. But then again those goodies are so well behaved. We used th clam screen room and ginger just sat and watched everybody around her. We have another pup now, we are going to try camping with him next week, he is going on 6 months old. That shoul b fun. Good luck on your search. Carl
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:39 AM   #4

Florida
FG preferred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Welcome to FGRV Michael. You might want to visit a FG rally or two before you decide on something as there are many options/sizes and floor plans to pick from. Saturdays are generally the open house day but most owners are happy to show and answer questions about their eggs. Funny thing, they all do look good on paper but once you get inside......
Just for info, the Tabs are not molded FG TTs like the Oliver and other makes this site follows, kind of apples and oranges to their build. You could give us some of the wants you're looking for in a TT and we can give you some suggestions to units to look at. Whatever you end up with Bob has to approve too .
We definitely prefer the FG TT but I am hoping for some comments and suggestions that make it a no brainer to buy one. The T@B looks like a well-built trailer, but I know it is not FG. We do want a bathroom (shower not absolutely necessary), a separate dinette, full-time bed (could also be two twins like the Elite II), side tents and awning, solar, internet, under 20' total length. The Oliver Elite seems perfect except for the twin bed layout. The Oliver Elite II is too long and heavy.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:42 AM   #5

Florida
the bottom scares me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlcivi View Post
Hi, we have the Scamp 16 with side dinette, front bath. We love it. We also had a GR, Ginger, since passed away. We all fit. All worked out fine. But then again those goodies are so well behaved. We used th clam screen room and ginger just sat and watched everybody around her. We have another pup now, we are going to try camping with him next week, he is going on 6 months old. That shoul b fun. Good luck on your search. Carl
What scares me about the Scamp is the pressed-board ply bottom even though it is sealed rather well. The 16' layout is perfect but the interior is not as cool to us as the Oliver Elite. (Scamp is where I first started in my "wants".)
Old 05-31-2017, 05:59 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What trailer to buy?

The limitations of the Scamp side dinette are (1) the main dinette bed is only 45" wide, so tight for 2, and (2) no counter space in the galley. The floor has not been a problem for me.

Scamp and Oliver are pretty much the bookends of the price spectrum in molded fiberglass. Both are good trailers for the money.

I'm taking it your wife likes the sleek all-fiberglass interiors of the double hull styles: Oliver and EggCamper. The EggCamper is a nice unit but all-electric, so that limits where you can camp. If that's not a problem, I'd suggest looking for a late model used one. It'd make a nice starter trailer. Parkliner is also introducing an updated model this year with an all-fiberglass interior.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:06 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
It sounds to me like an Escape 19 would work for you guys. Permanent queen size bed, 4 person dinette, kitchen and wet bath. We know we love ours. But like others say, it's best to actually spend some time in a few different layouts to get a sense of what really works. On paper, we thought the Escape 17 was what we wanted, and even ordered one, but after spending time in the 17, 19 and 21 models, we quickly changed our order to the 19 and have not looked back since.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:09 AM   #8

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search.

Depending on where you want to camp, you may want to reconsider the Eggcamper, as it is all electric. They can be ordered with a small generator, but some campgrounds are not amenable to them...........also, some neighbors.

Also, to get a better idea of what is available, ya'll may want to attend a FGRV rally in your area. Check the rally calendar under the More tab at the top of the page for upcoming rallies near you.

Also, If you are really interested in the Oliver, you may want to visit the factory in Hohenwald, TN., depending on where you live in Florida.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:14 AM   #9

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post

Depending on where you want to camp, you may want to reconsider the Eggcamper, as it is all electric. They can be ordered with a small generator, but some campgrounds are not amenable to them...........also, some neighbors.
Unfortunately, Eggcamper is still "temporarily closed" due to health issues of the owner. My understanding is that he would like to sell the company, but has not found a buyer. Been closed for a year now, so they are not an option at this time to order.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:20 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Have you looked at any casitas fiberglass trailers
16 or 17 both have models w/dinette
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:38 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
1: Don't email the manufacturers, they all have a reputation of not answering emails. Call them instead!

2: Double check weights in the real world on the Oliver. I would not tow one with a Tacoma personally.

3. To get a dinette in a Casita, you end up with a smaller bed. Its a trade off. Ignore the bed size, look at dimensions. For example, the "twin beds" in our Casita Liberty were a whopping 23 inches wide (a standard twin is 42 inches wide). All RV manufacturers are pretty loose with their bed sizing. I have seen several "double beds" that were twin bed size. And so it goes.

4. Floorplan is really important. Figure out what works for you. An Escape 19 worked for us.

5. The Scamp dinette is more like 23 inches or 24 inches deep. Our Escape 19 has a 46 inch deep (or wide) dinette.

6. Just one opinion here, but I would never get an electric only (110) camper. Too many nice places to go out there with no hookups. And many of them ban generators too, so counting on a generator is not always realistic.

7. Olivers are great, the top end of the spectrum really. They cost 50% to 200% more than the other brands out there. Can't expect Scamp construction to match Oliver. Realize that all brands have very good longevity if cared for and stored properly.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:10 AM   #12

Name: Roy
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Welcome Michael! Another choice to consider is a Bigfoot. They come in three different lengths, a 17', 21' and a 25'. The 17' has three different floor plans to choose from. They are a four season trailer and extremely well made. Because of the double hulled construction they are also on the heavy side. The 17 footer falls in the weight category you are looking for. As Bill said look at the real world weight. We have a Bigfoot 25' with a manufacture's dry weight rating of 5400 lbs. but with the extra options we have on ours it comes in at 6400 lbs. Happy hunting!!
Roy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
What scares me about the Scamp is the pressed-board ply bottom even though it is sealed rather well. The 16' layout is perfect but the interior is not as cool to us as the Oliver Elite. (Scamp is where I first started in my "wants".)
Oh poo, the floor in my 1988 16' Scamp is in perfect condition. All trailers require maintenance and it doesn't matter what the floor is made out of if maintenance is ignored. There's better reasons for buying a particular trailer, or not buying a particular brand, other than the floor.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:32 AM   #14

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Dimensions are important. I'm still looking for my trailer, and saw a lot at a recent rally. A few observations from that:

Lots of couples seem to have chosen the Casita 17' with twin beds. I was looking for mostly solo use, but I heard that those decisions were often made on "not climbing over each over in the middle to the night to go to the bathroom." The T@B 400 is a cool trailer, but has that consideration, as would the Escape 19. Maybe the Bigfoot 17 has a floor plan that makes a "foot of the bed" exit possible, and if your wife is not yet sold, maybe a consideration for potential buyer's remorse.

On dimensions, I'm 6'2" and my back likes me to stand straight when doing food prep. Headroom in Scamp 16 and Casita 17 almost allows that; more in the "workable, probably could get used to it" category. And the width of twin (or "full") beds should be a consideration; Casita twin beds are available with wider beds, narrower aisle, or vice versa. The wider beds looked OK to me, and gave table versatility, but I was warned about complaints on foot room in that aisle when seated; my 13s were tight.

Bottom line, the advice I got when asking questions like yours was spot on; you have to get into some of these trailers to figure out what you want/can accept. The rally was great for that.

Oh, you also say you're in no rush, but maybe a little more than you think; if February 2018 is a hard date, and you're going to order from a manufacturer, you need to check that out. I just checked and on an Escape 19 order, you're looking at a December production. That may be driven somewhat by the good exchange rate, but I think 6 months order to delivery is pretty common from the manufacturers.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
We have a Casita 17 SD to which we added Joe Z's side bed modification that adds 12 inches to the width. This gives us options - we can share the rear full bed (which could be a bit cozy for a six footer) or we can take down the dinette, pull out the extension and (with the addition of a foam topper) we have a comfortable twin bed, about 36" by 72".

Also works great if you're sharing the trailer with someone other than your significant other.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:58 AM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the FGRV forum. You had stated that you plan to do extensive traveling, so I would stay away from the T@B or any other "stick build" trailer. If you could see the twisting, bouncing, and gyrations that a trailer goes through as it travels down the road, you would see why the seams would eventually open up to water intrusion, which would cause mold and rot and eventually structural failures. Molded fiberglass trailers do not have an inner wood structural skeleton, but rather the fiberglass shell of the trailer is it's own support. The molded fiberglass trailers usually have a seam around the belly of the trailer where the top & bottom halves are then fiberglassed together making it essentially one unit. EGG campers in the past had a propane option, so a used one with this option might be just what you are looking for. Desired floor plans vary by individual tastes/needs, but are very import for the enjoyment of the trailer you choose. We opted for the Lil Snoozy because the floor plan met our needs/wants to a T, but I installed propane, and solar to make it so a generator is not needed while "off the grid".
Best of luck with your search, and DO attend a ralley to see a variaty of molded trailers and floor plans.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:59 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
We have had our Casita 17' for 15 years, 10 years with our Golden (who just loved it). Originally traded for the Casita to get rid of the extension side mirrors required for a wider trailer. With the three way fridge and gas/electric hot water we have boondocked quite a bit. Major changes were going to all LED lights to conserve battery.
Walt
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:01 AM   #18

Name: Bert
Trailer: 23 foot Oliver Elite II
California
Hi Micheal, welcome. We started with Tab, fun tt but limited in its use. Then we went to a Scamp great little trailer but wife hated having to climb over me to hit the head. Towed great but a bit too small. Now have the Oliver II tows great and we have full timed in it for s year and a half from SoCal to Canada in a Tacoma. Comfy and definetly the best of the FG's
Bertus65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #19

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
Hi Roguebooks,
My wife and I are anxiously awaiting our new Oliver Elite. We too wanted to keep our weight within the towing margin of our 2017 Taco TRD Off Road's (6400 lbs) capacity. Also, I was essentially sold on a Camp Inn Teardrop, like you folks, quality is a prime consideration for us. For several reasons, We needed a standup bath. We investigated Airstream TTs. But AS customers seemed to have many issues with wood and structural components among other things. Some enjoy working on their rigs and it is part of the AS way. We have toured the Hohenwald plant twice now and every time we have impressed with their production process and the care with which they construct and assemble these travel trailers. We want to be able to camp during all 4 seasons with out leaks etc interfering with our quality time. A well made FG TT will hopefully provide this.
Our delivery date is the end of June, so stay tuned.
Good luck on your search,
Terry
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:18 AM   #20

Florida
The mirror and smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The limitations of the Scamp side dinette are (1) the main dinette bed is only 45" wide, so tight for 2, and (2) no counter space in the galley. The floor has not been a problem for me.

Scamp and Oliver are pretty much the bookends of the price spectrum in molded fiberglass. Both are good trailers for the money.

I'm taking it your wife likes the sleek all-fiberglass interiors of the double hull styles: Oliver and EggCamper. The EggCamper is a nice unit but all-electric, so that limits where you can camp. If that's not a problem, I'd suggest looking for a late model used one. It'd make a nice starter trailer. Parkliner is also introducing an updated model this year with an all-fiberglass interior.
The Ollie's sleek interior she does love. The details of the mirrored or smoke-like cabinet doors make the space feel larger and more elegant. I have heard complaints about their wet bath, and perhaps having to sit down to take a shower? I would love to get a good old EggCamper or similar and change out the cabinets and/or doors. I like good hardware and hate a cheap look. My wife is worse (but she still married me).

Tags
eggcamper, oliver, scamp 16, t@b