which egg to buy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2011, 07:04 AM   #1

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
which egg to buy

Hi: I have been enjoying all the posts here, and would like some help. We are currently camping in a Aliner sport, and also trying to sell our 29' 5th wheel. When we get the 5th wheel sold, we want to sell the
aliner and purchase a FG camper. Our problem is which one to purchase. We have looked at the Scamp, and like the ones with the wood interior, but don't like the small 13" tires and the retro look of the outside. I have brochures of the Casita and really like the looks of the freedom. The biggest problem I am seeing is the bed, which is just like the aliner, if one of us has to get up during the night, we both have to get up. I notice that one of the casita, and also the egg camper can be made into two beds. I need some feedback from others about your campers, so I know a lot more about how you made the decision, what FG to purchase.
Thanks
Laura
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #2

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
Laura : As the saying goes..."Less is More" & we've dealt with this concern as well. Of course, the short answer is...when you go compact, you have to make some sacrifices & having a "crawl across" bed is usually one of them !! We are a two trailer couple (see left) and we use our Trillium trailer for events that are usually no longer than weekends, while our 34ft Airstream is an "Aluma'cottage" that's a smaller version of our home. We love both of them & have set them up to be as comfortable as possible...but compact is still compact & it's just something that "is what it is" when you decide to go eggy !!
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #3

Iowa
Hi Paul, I see you have a Trillium. I have been looking at them on the internet. How has it worked out for you? Have you had any problems with it?
Thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
Hi: I have been enjoying all the posts here, and would like some help. We are currently camping in a Aliner sport, and also trying to sell our 29' 5th wheel. When we get the 5th wheel sold, we want to sell the
aliner and purchase a FG camper. Our problem is which one to purchase. We have looked at the Scamp, and like the ones with the wood interior, but don't like the small 13" tires and the retro look of the outside. I have brochures of the Casita and really like the looks of the freedom. The biggest problem I am seeing is the bed, which is just like the aliner, if one of us has to get up during the night, we both have to get up. I notice that one of the casita, and also the egg camper can be made into two beds. I need some feedback from others about your campers, so I know a lot more about how you made the decision, what FG to purchase.
Thanks
Laura
I know I'm starting a hornet's nest here but I am biased and I'm also trying to sell my EggCamper here on the forum but here goes my comments.
When comparing "Egg's" look at the specifications, The EggCamper is 6' 7" inside height and a full 84" (7') wide. Neither Scamp nor Casita come near these numbers. As such, the bed can be up to 84" long if needed. Also both Scamps and Casita's underneath storage is somewhat less than the EggCamper due to tanks and water heaters. Both Scamps and Casita's also have exterior rivet caps which need to be maintained. The Egg's floor is flat some of the other models have step up areas. Given that, both Scamp and Casita's have bigger holding tanks and they have propane for furnace and stove. Scamps weight a little less, then EggCamper and Casita's are the heaviest of the 3. Then you have Escape which I call the Cadillac of the Eggs. Very nice inside and outside, but you have to go to Canada to get one and the Escape's cost in the mid $20's while the other three cost less than $20K.
I know there are Trilliums and Uhauls and Fiberstreams out there and I'm not familiar with those, just the above 4. Also newcomer's Lil Snoozy and Parkliners are nice.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Casita and Scamps

We've had 16 foot versions of the Casita and Scamp. We prefer the Scamp for two reasons, first it's significantly taller inside and second it's lighter. To get similar height in a Casita means going to the much heavier 17 foot Casita.

As to construction, I can't see any real difference other than the Scamp has more windows, a rear window that opens and a front window. We enjoy the light and air of windows.

We have now been inside virtually every fiberglass trailer, a result of attending two fiberglass rallies. Attending a fiberglass rally is probably the best thing you can do if you're considering purchasing one.

Generally I prefer to buy RVs in good used condition. You save all that initial depreciation and you usually get user improvements as is the case with Jim's egg. It turns our that used Fiberglass trailers are usually structurally very strong after decades. Our's is 20 years old and was purchased in excellent shape for less than half the new price.

As to the bed our first RV had a walk around bed; downsizing to the wall bed of small trailers was not an issue in terms of size or the 'crawl over factor'.

Best advice I can repeat is to attend a fiberglass rally, a true learning experience.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #6

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Welcome have a look at Bigfoot fit and finish are among the best.

I looked at Escape Trailers and found the biggest problem was finding one cheap they do hold there value and build quality would be similar to Bigfoot.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Room for two

Laura,

When we ordered our 13' Scamp, we told the factory that we didn't want the seat back for the gaucho seat in front. They left it off and made us a cushion that fit the entire space, without the "banana" cutout normally required to make the lower bed. Because my wife has restless leg syndrome, she sleeps in the front and I sleep in the back. (I know; I got the better deal, but she doesn't mind.)

It works for us!

Jeff
Jeff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Lots of choices

Laura,

I think there are many good choices in trailers in the fiberglass category. Ultimately, you have to pick and choose what you want/need. The first question I would ask you is: How much money do you have to spend? That's the most important question. It will help you to decide new vs used.

The fiberglass trailers keep their value well. Even companies that are out of business, like uhaul and Oliver seem to keep their value.

Does weight make a difference to you? Does your tow vehicle limit your weight? I prefer a 16 or 17 foot vs a 13 foot. Again, individual preference.

I also prefer a bathroom. I had a 13 foot scamp that was really sweet, but no bathroom.

This time around I wanted a new trailer. Some of my used trailers were used and abused. I didn't want to have to fix them up. I was tired of fixing rivet caps, and didn't like the metal on the door of the scamp that was rusting. I couldn't understand why scamp didn't use non rusting metal.

Your geographic location, ease of getting a trailer may also influence your choice.
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have a Casita 17 Freedom Dlx. We do love many of the features...but yes...the Spouse Crawl over is a downer. Escape 5th wheels have a queen bed where you do not have to do that. It may be an option but yes they are very pricey....but the quality is top notch and they hold their value.

It is just the price that is keeping us from pulling the trigger on the deal for one. Rivets are not bad to replace, but can be a bit of a hassle. Cpaharley's Egg camper is top notch and very very spacious compared to my casita. Take a look at his pics.

Have a good Egg Hunt

Don and Brenda
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
If you need to have two separate good size beds the Casita Liberty is the king size bed option and what many do is take the king apart and make two good size twins and have an aisle in the center with spots for small table.....You may run across one....
the 17'Model ht:6'2"...... The 16' Model ht"5"10".
There's many mod posts on this subject.
Joe

This is an example of just one:
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...__1#entry71319
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #11

Iowa
Ok, can you show me your egg. I would really like to see some pictures of it.
Thanks
Laura
Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #12

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
Hi Laura : Trillium RV in California (Tom) have been great to us & we love our 1500 !!!
We ordered it with blue stripes/awning on the exterior & it's a front dinette model. We dropped the stern dinette table down & bought a nice double mattress which stays in position, rather than changing it back & forth...sleeping well is worth it !! I have some pictures of the trailer in the photo album so you can see it & we have no complaints !! Cheers, P.
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Laura June... Here's a pic. of our bed in the Escape 5.0 fifth wh. No crawl over here, as the queen bed sleeps front/back. I know they're expensive but you get what you pay for...QUALITY!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
self portrait.jpg   against the wall.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
[QUOTE=cpaharley2008;270041] When comparing "Egg's" look at the specifications, The EggCamper is 6' 7" inside height and a full 84" (7') wide. Neither Scamp nor Casita come near these numbers. QUOTE]
The fact that my Scamp doesn't "come near those numbers" is precisely what I consider to be in it's favor. My 4CYL Ford Escape likes the smaller size as well. Our 13 Deluxe Scamp front bath is perfect for the two of us even after 7-1/2 years.It's size is it's best feature when combined with it's brilliant design and excellent features , both factory and aftermarket.

The Eggcamper is a fine camper and your's in particular is very nicely done. I'm surprised it's not gone yet. It sounds like Laura June should look at your's !! AND QUICK!

Laura June;
No really, our Scamp (Eggy-Sue) (The Pull-it SurPrize) is perfect for us, but it sounds like CPHarley's Eggcamper could be just what you're looking for! Check it out before it's gone!

BTW;
[The 13" wheels are no problem on even the larger Scamps, but if that were the only draw back it could be easily and cheaply remedied.]
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #15

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S.
Hi: Laura June... Here's a pic. of our bed in the Escape 5.0 fifth wh. No crawl over here, as the queen bed sleeps front/back. I know they're expensive but you get what you pay for...QUALITY!!!
Impressive!
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Impressive!
Hi: Night Sailor...Thankyou!!! Can you tell we really love IT. Here's a pic from our Niagara Wine Escape Rally. We certainly had the corner anchored.
Attached Thumbnails
Early Morn Escapes.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote