Which one to buy! Hi from So. Calif. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Which one to buy! Hi from So. Calif.

I registered here yesterday because I have been admiring the "egg" type of trailers and want to own one.

I put a want to buy for an Escape, but now that I've been clicking into all of the sub forums, it seems there are pros and cons for all makes, but one thing they share is just how cute they are!

I feel as though, in all my enthusiasm to buy one, I may end up with one that isn't perfect. Knowing me, I'll impulsively buy one without doing ALL the research, but I am trying to take my time. There is so much to learn, I'll keep reading.

I have a Sprinter cargo van that will be the tow vehicle, so I'm set there.

I'll be retiring within the year (that's the plan), and I'd like to do some short distance traveling.

Sure glad I found this forum. Lucky you who have been part of this community!
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Lisa!

I'm going to suggest you load up that Sprinter van and spend a weekend at one of the many molded fiberglass rally events. You'll not only meet some great people, but you'll likely see many sizes, makes, and models all in one place. Some events even have scheduled open house times.

Look for the Rally Map thread in the "Rallies" section of the forum to find one near you.

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Lisa,

I sincerely doubt there is a "perfect" trailer. But there certainly are trailers that are fun, match your travel plans, match the size most practical for you, fit with your ability to do maintenance and fit the type of weather you'll be camping in.

Maybe, try to imagine what you'd like to be doing with it most of all. Where you'll be using it, how often and in what weather. Who will be with you, etc.

Do you want to restore one and design the interior, or do you just want to hook up and go for a quick overnight trip, or do you want to spend a season off grid?

Escapes are very nice. Go to rally, like the Cassita rally at Lake Cassitas or Oregon Coast Gathering and tour different makes and models. Talk to the folks you meet at those rallies. Tour their trailers and figure out how much room you need and imagine towing the ones you like. These rallies are very friendly and you'll meet some very nice folks. They are open to all brands and even those with no trailer at all. I highly recommend going to one.

My favorite places to camp are mostly way back into the desert on some 4WD roads, so I wanted something rugged with reasonable ground clearance and narrow. Where do you like to go?

After a lifetime of camping with different equipment, and getting a bit older, I pretty much knew, generally, what I wanted. I already thought Olivers were very charming and practical. I was ready to get one, but not panicking. I had it visualized and was ready if I found one. Then mine popped up for sale and I grabbed it. I could not be happier, and even though it was the same as new and high quality to begin with, I've put a lot of work into it to make it even better for us. All done happily and not out of necessity. Now, our trips are really fun, very comfortable and easy, since it's a practical size with just enough room. It has everything we need, can get into almost any camping spot, is so easy to tow and even fits in the garage! That means I don't have to winterize it, it won't get sun damaged and I can easily keep it plugged in. It also means we can use it for "movie nights" at home and keep the fridge running for cold beer. It can even serve as a spare bedroom if needed.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:52 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome Lisa, rallies, as Jon & John have mentioned, are the best place to get a good feel of many different TTs. They can all look good on paper but being inside them can and will eliminate some off your list in seconds. As John said, there's no perfect TT. Since you already have the Sprinter as a tow vehicle (tug), your tow & hitch ratings may end up being the deciding factor on a trailer. The thread "trailer weights in the real world" has a great list of the "ready for the road loaded" weights and not the dry weights the builders list. Good luck with your search.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:57 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Lisa!

I'm going to suggest you load up that Sorinter van and spend a weekend at one of the many molded fiberglass rally events. You'll not only meet some great people, but you'll likely see many sizes, makes, and models all in one place. Some events even have scheduled open house times.

Look for the Rally Map thread in the "Rallies" section of the forum to find one near you.

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Lisa, Jon gives good advise.
I host a rally, The Spring Fling Rally in New England, and this past year had 2 separate woman come to check them out on the "Show and Shine" day.
One was all for buying a Casita the other a Scamp....After they spent several hours looking at all the different campers they came to me to thank me for a wonderful day they had and it was so funny that they did the flip flop.
Each one had changed their minds on just what they were going to get.
As said also there is no such thing as the perfect trailer it is all about just what you want and the most important thing is to go camping and have fun.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:49 AM   #6

California
Registry
How fun was it to wake up to all the replies!
Thank you!

At this point I have looked at one Scamp that was for sale, sadly it needed a lot of work. Had the price been more affordable, I may have opted to buy and work on it.

I am the type that would rather pay more so I could hitch it up and go!

I like all of your ideas about attending a rally. I will have to look into that.

I'm new to trailer camping. I tent camped back in my 20's and liked it. Spent many nights out in Quartzsite.

I took my Sprinter to Flagstaff this summer and slept in it at a campground and liked the experience. Pine Grove was the place (I recommend it), $24 a night, or $12 with one of the National Park Passes.

Time to go check out any rally possibilities and craigslist and fiberglass classifieds.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
...I am the type that would rather pay more so I could hitch it up and go!...
I completely agree! Renovating a trailer always takes double the money and triple the time you expect.

Buy the best you can afford, and leave a bit in reserve for the unexpected. Don't forget expenses related to getting your vehicle set up to tow safely.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #8

California
Registry
You're right, extra cash will be needed for brakes etc.

Right now I have New Egg Fever so badly!!!!

I can't find one to buy. I'm totally in panic mode as I want it yesterday.

I'm just so excited to finally find an RV style that I love. My dad has been a long-time RVer, though he likes those diesel pushers.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Take a deep breath!

There are a lot of trailers out there that need substantial work and some with hidden damage. More than a few people have gotten over their heads in repairs because they were in a hurry. Perhaps your father can help you do a thorough inspection of any used trailer. Having a second set of eyes not emotionally invested in the purchase is a good thing!

Here's a helpful resource: Buyer's Checklist

And another: Real World Trailer Weights. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data.

Your Sprinter should have a decent tow rating, but I'd suggest reading everything in the owner's manual about towing before you go much further. It's no fun to fall in love with a trailer you can't tow safely.

P.S. There's usually a big rally in Quartzite in early February. The map shows the rally for 2017, but I expect there will be another in 2018. Looks like the next one near SoCal is the Lake Casitas rally in October.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #10

California
Registry
Thank you for the links, those were on my to-do list.

Love my dad, but he's a little bit old school and thinks travel trailers are only worth $500. He'd be gobsmacked if he knew how much I'm willing to shell out for one.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #11

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Hi Lisa. Welcome to the forum. As others have suggested, there is really no such thing as a "perfect trailer", so I suggest that you just look for one that will work for you and enjoy the experience. If you decide that you want something different in a few years, a change is possible, all molded fiberglass trailers tend to retain their value and sell very quickly. Don't overthink the situation. Have fun.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #12

California
Registry
I'm ready to buy...just have to find one available.

I'm trying not to overthink it.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #13

California
Registry
Quote:
Looks like the next one near SoCal is the Lake Casitas rally in October.
Thank you, I may try to attend that one!
Old 08-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #14

California
Registry
Quote:
Take a deep breath!
I can't I'm so excited to buy one!
Old 08-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Welcome Lisa,
I also have a Sprinter cargo van I plan to use for towing. I have lusted over Casitas, and Escapes, and I am within a year of retiring.

I have found one of the better ways to cope with the disease termed "Hitch Itch" is to watch youtube channels of RVers. There are plenty I don't care to emulate, but several that are quite inspiring.

Check out "Keep Your Daydream" with Marc & Tricia, along with their three kids. They are an attractive, funny, well spoken couple with great video production. However, they do tow a stick built trailer. They are inspiring because they set a goal, hit it, and have turned RVing into careers. They pick major landmarks to visit, then are spontaneous and adaptable around those. Most of us don't have to earn a living on the road, or raise 3 teenagers.

Another is the Long Long Honeymoon, featuring a couple that RV'd for 5 years, before transitioning to ocean sailing.

Enjoy.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hi Lisa.
how and where are you searching? I assume you are searching the ads here on fiberglassrv. Craigslist is often a good place to search. Do you have one of the national craigslist search programs? There are several but the one I know is Search Tempest.

As far as choice, as has been said that's a very individual thing. A 13' is fine for some solo campers but not all. A 16' or longer would work better if you think you may want company on some trips, or want to take a grandkid on occasion.

Good luck and be sure you let us know what you wind up with, with pictures of course.

Walt
Old 08-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
compulsive

I too am compulsive. I bought my Scamp in 2004. I didn't check on anything. I knew they were made locally by a family run business that was stable. That's it, here's my check. I can't see you going to a rally no matter what great that advice that is. Reading your post I can feel those things are too far away, too long away, and holy cow I may die next week! The most important thing is that it is cute to you. I can see all the old guys eyes rolling now, well I'm an old guy too. An old compulsive Guy. Have fun!
John
Old 08-03-2017, 09:59 AM   #18

California
Registry
Thanks for the YouTube suggestions, I have been watching lots of them, but have missed those two referenced.

I am doing Craiglist searches, eBay (why not), RV Classifieds here.
I haven't done Search Tempest, I may look at that as an option too.

Need all the help I can get!
Old 08-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #19

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwing View Post
I can't see you going to a rally no matter what great that advice that is. Reading your post I can feel those things are too far away, too long away, and holy cow I may die next week! The most important thing is that it is cute to you.
Finally, SOMEONE who gets me!
Old 08-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
It is about what features you need, then what features you want, and last about stuff you think wouldn't that be neat! That last one, shiny bells and whistles sucks in more buyers than it should.

Some folks do mostly weekends at local venues. Others do long trips, some are "tent" camping with amenities, while others want a towed motel room for visiting attractions or events. Then there is gear or personal amenities.

Want TV and a mini dish? Where do they travel and where do you put the TV? Cook inside? Want a microwave? Or boondock camp in the backwoods or desert where the TV and microwave are just a waste of space. If you are mostly going to museums or art fairs you might have different need for clothing and gear.

Bathroom with or without shower, or more space for "gear" and open space in the camper so you use restrooms in the park?

Bathroom - no bath, Bed size, how many it sleeps, Storage space, Cooking facilities are all things you can consider before even looking at a camper, then hit a rally (or two they are fun) to see how the different campers will meet those needs. In an overall size you feel like towing.

We camp, I'm in the process of taking the closet for hanging clothes and turning it into a pantry, I won't be needing "nice" clothes but I do like to cook and eat well when camping. Cook outside. Don't have a TV do have two kindles :-) Spend most of my time outside so a 13 ft. is fine. But I do have a really large tarp and two comfortable chairs.

What works for me would be useless for sister who likes to go site seeing and take older grandkids out for the weekend to places near water parks or festivals. She doesn't own an outdoor stove, while I don't know if the one inside works except that I test it once a year.

Snow birds have a whole different set of needs.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote