Which options to get in Casita Spirit Deluxe 17'? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyD View Post
We decided not to get the vinyl flooring & plan on finding & installing vinyl plank flooring of our choice.
Maybe investigate further... I don't know about Casita but for Scamps I have unconfirmed information that the reason they charge more for vinyl flooring is not because the material costs more, but instead because they have to do more work to get a smooth floor that will not telegraph imperfections through the vinyl. With carpet, a rough floor does not show up. It's the same reason carpet is used in homes sometimes, the carpet and padding does not require a smooth floor so it quick and easy.

So even if you want to do you own flooring, it might be worth paying a little extra to get a good quality floor that you can use as a foundation.

If your vinyl planks are thick enough it might not matter, but I would talk to Casita and look into it to make sure it works out the way you want.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:05 AM   #22

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Is the carpet Casita installs easily removable? If not, do what we did: get the vinyl option (it came with our used trailer) and cut your own carpet to fit. Then if you want to clean or replace it, you can just take it out. My wife made a template with kraft paper, then cut a piece of remnant to fit, and even made holes for the table posts. Works fine.

An advantage is that with vinyl under the carpet, spills are easily manageable.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #23

Name: Peggy
Trailer: 17' Spirit Deluxe ordered
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Maybe investigate further... I don't know about Casita but for Scamps I have unconfirmed information that the reason they charge more for vinyl flooring is not because the material costs more, but instead because they have to do more work to get a smooth floor that will not telegraph imperfections through the vinyl. With carpet, a rough floor does not show up. It's the same reason carpet is used in homes sometimes, the carpet and padding does not require a smooth floor so it quick and easy.

So even if you want to do you own flooring, it might be worth paying a little extra to get a good quality floor that you can use as a foundation.

If your vinyl planks are thick enough it might not matter, but I would talk to Casita and look into it to make sure it works out the way you want.
I have read quite a few post in various places on this & I did speak with Casita. I have seen the vinyl flooring Casita installs & don't care for it. We are not going to pay nearly $300 just to put something else over it.
PeggyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #24

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyD View Post
I have read quite a few post in various places on this & I did speak with Casita. I have seen the vinyl flooring Casita installs & don't care for it. We are not going to pay nearly $300 just to put something else over it.
$300?
OUCH!

Scamp charges $75 for the vinyl "upgrade" and IMHO that is a fair price for the smooth floor. But 300? I can do a lot of work on the floor myself for that kind of money so I sure see your point.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #25

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Hi Steve, welcome to the cult!

We have a 2015 17SD which we purchased used in March. It has every option except:
- power jack
- factory microwave (previous owner installed a small micro)
- sink cover (planning to stick rubber feet on a plastic cutting board so that they are held in place.)
- LED lights (I recently replaced them - they can be had a lot cheaper than what Casita charges.)

We live in S. Florida and have only camped locally so far, so the A.C. gets a workout.

Regardng some of the items you mentioned:

Vinyl floor - we are very happy that the floor isn't carpeted (then again our entire house is ceramic tile, so....) However, the vinyl looks fine - doesn't make a statement - and is easy to keep clean. Have read about people adding wood floors, but seems like a lot of work for something you won't see that much. I recommend a small rug or two.

Awning - we love it and find it very convenient. You can extend it for a couple of feet and attach the posts to the trailer to shade the side of the trailer. Fully extended it makes a very nice shade area. I would never leave it extended if there were any question of high winds, but if you tie it down it can be pretty secure against all but the biggest gusts. We also bought a Clam screen shelter but don't consider it a replacement for the awning. This is a small trailer, and the awning and shelter more than double your "living space."

Furnace - haven't used it yet, but glad we have it when we head farther north. Note that the A/C does have a heat strip.

TV - we use it more than we expected - I sometimes go out in the Casita when it's parked in our yard for a siesta or to watch a movie. Also, if you get rained in, it's not a bad thing to have. The antenna that comes with it is crap and will be replaced soon. I do like that it's a combo TV/DVD. You can probably find a nicer one on Amazon, however.

High lift axle - a must, imo. Otherwise, I don't think i would be able to back the trailer into its spot in my back yard.

Sway bar - you can use an existing bar. You just need the "mini-ball" welded on the frame and next to your TV hitch. Pulling the trailer with our Tundra, it feels the same with and without but it's good to have. Can be added later.

We're very pleased with our purchase so far. The only thing I've needed to do to it is to replace the battery.

If we were ordering a new one, we would get it pretty much as ours is equipped. Maybe go with the slate cushions. Also, I would choose not to mount the tire on the back. We are currently carrying it in the bed of our pickup but are looking at other options.

In terms of aftermarket, I strongly recommend the receiver hitch from OMW. The bumper on the Casita is not fit to hold anything, and the hitch allowed us to move our bikes out of the TV and onto the back of the trailer. It's a custom fit for the Casita and is a bolt-on install. If you don't bike, you can carry anything that will fit in a 2 inch receiver.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #26

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
We bought every option except for the electric jack, wish I would have bought that also. Would then have been easy to hardwire in our gen, which sits over the propane tanks.

Get the awning. If we every buy the Independence, I will get TWO Awnings, on on each side. Shades the trailer and the tires. Easy to use.

Get vinyl. We buy a nice thick carpet (rubber backed) and trim to fit. Pull it out and shake/shampoo to clean. If you want to put Pergo over the viny that would be fine.

Buy the Furnace. Yes you will need it and better resale value.

Buy microwave ready. Then buy small microwave, not to cook but to heat and reheat soups and leftovers while on the road. Yes sir, you will use it if you have it.

Buy Solar ready (not an option when we bought our 2013).

Buy more 120 v outlets. Buy more 12 v outlets.

Buy the high rise and buy the two steps.

Buy the electric fan and the cover.

Buy the outside shower.

Make appt with Larry at Little House. Drive from Factory to Little House. Have him do what you won't or can't do. Such as inside switch for the outside light, shocks, additional riser (need trailer as high as you can get it), hitch on trailer.

If you feel the trailer costs too much, work for an extra six months or get a short term job. Buy every single option. After you use the trailer you will understand why: You will use each item eventually, and you will get more when you sell.

This stuff about $300 is too much for this and $150 is too much for that is...wrong thinking. Lets say you keep it for 10 years (if you keep it any less there is no point in getting a molded fiberglass, just buy a throwaway SOB, which means Some Other Brand by the way): $300/120 months = $2.50 per month. You will get part of that back anyway when you sell it. Unless you gift it to your kids.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita