Which options to get in Casita Spirit Deluxe 17'? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #1

Name: Steven
Trailer: In the market
North Carolina
Question Which options to get in Casita Spirit Deluxe 17'?

I am mulling over the idea of purchasing a Casita, and the model that will work best for me is the Spirit Deluxe 17'.

I realize opinions will differ, but I am curious which options you believe to be especially valuable, and which are unnecessary.

For instance, is the Video Entertainment Package worthwhile, or would it be wise to mount my own TV and connect it to a Blu-ray player?

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #2

Name: Peggy
Trailer: 17' Spirit Deluxe ordered
Washington
We just ordered our 17' Spirit Deluxe. We pick it up November 17. The options we have chosen are:
Friction Anti Sway Control
Aluminum Cased Patio Awning
LED Interior Lights
Range Cover
Sink Cover
TV Antenna w/Amplifier
TV mount
Cable Ready
Solar wiring

We chose not to get a furnace because I saw many listings for Casitas for sale where the seller said they never used the furnace. Turning on a burner on the cooktop & heating some water warms up the Casita very quickly.

We did not get the larger water tank because we have an 18 gallon tank in our current Coleman Plantation tent trailer & never run out. No need to add the extra weight. We are not the boondocking type so we wouldn't be far from a water source for very long. We also don't do off-road so the high lift axle is unnecessary.

We want to choose our own TV & microwave & the TV shelf takes up a lot of room so we didn't order those either.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:35 PM   #3

Name: Marion
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyD View Post
We just ordered our 17' Spirit Deluxe. We pick it up November 17. The options we have chosen are:
Friction Anti Sway Control
Aluminum Cased Patio Awning
LED Interior Lights
Range Cover
Sink Cover
TV Antenna w/Amplifier
TV mount
Cable Ready
Solar wiring

We chose not to get a furnace because I saw many listings for Casitas for sale where the seller said they never used the furnace. Turning on a burner on the cooktop & heating some water warms up the Casita very quickly.

We did not get the larger water tank because we have an 18 gallon tank in our current Coleman Plantation tent trailer & never run out. No need to add the extra weight. We are not the boondocking type so we wouldn't be far from a water source for very long. We also don't do off-road so the high lift axle is unnecessary.

We want to choose our own TV & microwave & the TV shelf takes up a lot of room so we didn't order those either.
What did they charge for the solar wiring?
Thanks
Old 08-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #4

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Which Options?

Hey Steve,
I'm going to give you a different point of view. We have a 2014 SD and would say definitely get the furnace. We use the furnace much more than our air conditioner in this neck of the woods. The whole point of having a trailer is to be able to travel and experience different places. Many national and state parks do not provide hook-ups, the stove could be used for a quick warm-up but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for extended use. When we were considering options for our trailer we adopted the philosophy of if we think we may need it (if not now, but in the future) we got it, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Your camping style my evolve over time and decide boondocking is the way to go and it's cheaper and more convenient to have options installed at the factory. Peace!
Old 08-08-2016, 07:00 AM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Howdy I was just reading a thread over on the Casita Forum,

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/..._1#entry186533

about whether to buy the factory-installed wire for solar power. After a couple of "Yes" votes, Larry Gamble (Little House Customs, who does Casita modifications) said "No": the wire is too stiff, doesn't go through to the roof, and is useless for anyone who wants to use a portable (suitcase) solar unit (which I think most will, as there isn't much room on the roof). Worth reading the discussion before buying (you might have to register; takes a day or two).

Re the factory-installed hanging TV, a bumpy road wrecked the mount on ours. The shelf over the bed/dinette is removable, which is good; ours is stowed away. The connection for external cable might be useful if you think you, or a subsequent owner, might use it, as the factory drills the hole.

We haven't had our Casita (a 2013) long enough to use the furnace or AC, but I would recommend them for resale value if nothing else. The Fiamma awning is high quality and IMO worth the money. The high-lift axle is a selling point, too, and getting a few more inches off the road is a good idea even for getting in and out of campsites, driveways, etc.

Do they sell a cover for the FanTastic Fan? If so, get it; otherwise you'll end up installing one yourself (as I just did). Also, ask if they now put springs on their screen doors. First thing I did when we got our Casita was add them.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"

Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass

Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern WHRB-FM, 95.3 FM, Cambridge, MA Streaming at WHRB.org
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy48497 View Post
I realize opinions will differ, but I am curious which options you believe to be especially valuable, and which are unnecessary.
It is impossible to fully answer this question (which comes up ALL the time by the way), unless and until one knows how they will use the camper. And many people who think they know (like myself) end up using it differently than they thought.

Still it would be much help if you could elaborate on your style of camping / RVing; where and when you plan to travel; etc. Are you a tent camper and still comfortable "roughing it" or are you a frequent guests of high end hotels but just looking for something different (or somewhere in between).

Of course there are some options that are more universally appreciated, such at the vent / fan cover on the roof that allows the vent to be opened and the fan on even in the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy48497 View Post
For instance, is the Video Entertainment Package worthwhile, or would it be wise to mount my own TV and connect it to a Blu-ray player?
This is exactly what I mean.. some people would tell you that a TV in a camper is sacrilegious - that you should shun connections to the modern world and get back to nature. Other's will tell you that they absolutely hate living in the camper without a TV. To each their own. Many options are a personal preference.

I have a Scamp so I don't really know what options Casita offers, but if you are anywhere close to (north of) Charlotte and want to come by and see what I have in the Scamp and why (such as solar), just send a PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #7

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
Options

We have the 2015 Spirit Deluxe. We ordered it with all the options available except the electric jack. We have since added an electric jack. The options don't cost that much and if in the future you want to sell your Casita it will be easier to sell. We use and enjoy all the options. LED lights are really nice on the outside also, you will replace the outside lights unless you get Outside LED from the factory. Don't worry about the few extra dollars, buy your Casita once enjoy. If you never use your heater good but you will still have that option .
Old 08-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #8

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit 17
British Columbia
For resale get the furnace even if you won't use it.
Most people seem to get their own tv etc.
I like the Casita awning and again great for resale.
People seem divided on the large water tank but like it if do lots of boondocking.
High lift axle for sure.
Electric jack is nice.
Depending on cost of led bulbs either order them or just replace when you have it.
How exciting
Old 08-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
We have a 2013 Spirit Deluxe.
We ordered
1) Hi Rise axle with D Rated tires
2) 25 gallon fresh water tank
3) WDH with sway control
4) TV Ready - antenna with 12VDC and 120 VAC outlet.
5 ) Refrigerator fan
6) Extra outside light on passenger side
7) Furnace
8) Awning
9) Bought our own microwave locally

My Casita is a " Travel Trailer" ! We have made two trips to the southern states , a trip to the West Coast and numerous 400 to 600 mile trips. We are heading to Jasper Alberta , Canada at the end of this month. We use our furnace as much or more than our A/C. If you plan on using your Casita to travel than you need to be prepared to camp in all weather conditions .We live in NW Wisconsin but I would not buy a trailer without A/C because we live in a Northern climate. We owned a Scamp without a furnace but never again , it limited our ability to travel / camp in the spring and Fall. Leaving out the furnace does not save enough money to be concerned IMHO
Old 08-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
... We owned a Scamp without a furnace but never again , it limited our ability to travel / camp in the spring and Fall. Leaving out the furnace does not save enough money to be concerned IMHO
If Casita puts in a cheap, loud and inefficient furnace like Scamp does.. then you might consider forgoing the install and put in a ProPex yourself.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #11

Name: Peggy
Trailer: 17' Spirit Deluxe ordered
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
What did they charge for the solar wiring?
Thanks
$50
Old 08-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
If Casita puts in a cheap, loud and inefficient furnace like Scamp does.. then you might consider forgoing the install and put in a ProPex yourself.
I find the furnace in my Casita neither cheap, loud or inefficient
but that is a matter of opinion. My biggest concern was that the furnace was capable of keeping my trailer and my wife and me warm at below zero temperatures safely.
I am sure that many Scamp owners are perfectly happy with the furnace Scamp installs .
I have no personnal knowledge of the Proper furnace and it may be a satisfactory substitute but I would rather have the factory furnace then have to modify a brand new trailer.
To each their own !!
Old 08-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #13

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
It is impossible to fully answer this question (which comes up ALL the time by the way), unless and until one knows how they will use the camper. And many people who think they know (like myself) end up using it differently than they thought.

Still it would be much help if you could elaborate on your style of camping / RVing; where and when you plan to travel; etc. Are you a tent camper and still comfortable "roughing it" or are you a frequent guests of high end hotels but just looking for something different (or somewhere in between).

Of course there are some options that are more universally appreciated, such at the vent / fan cover on the roof that allows the vent to be opened and the fan on even in the rain.

This is exactly what I mean.. some people would tell you that a TV in a camper is sacrilegious - that you should shun connections to the modern world and get back to nature. Other's will tell you that they absolutely hate living in the camper without a TV. To each their own. Many options are a personal preference.

I have a Scamp so I don't really know what options Casita offers, but if you are anywhere close to (north of) Charlotte and want to come by and see what I have in the Scamp and why (such as solar), just send a PM.
Good ideas all. Your style of overnighting is important. We think of camping, not RVing so the television is out, besides it gets in the way of our feet when sleeping and especially getting up in the night. Love having our own bathroom too.
Sink cover - not necessary. I use a basket that fits in the sink for food prep. etc
Furnace - yes get it, you never know. If we are in an electric site, we plug in a small polonius heater which is much more quiet.
Never thought we would need an air conditioner until we spent a week in St Louis last September and it was 96 degrees the entire time! glad we had it.
Best wishes on your choice. We love our Casita.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Wyoming
Get every option they offer. If you have never had a Casita before, you don't know how handy some of those things can be. Some of them, like hi-lift axle, a furnace and a larger water tank can be really really handy when you need them. I had a Casita Spirit Deluxe that I bought new and got all the options available at the time. And enjoyed every one of them. You can't pick and choose when shopping used. But when ordering new, why go cheap now?

Tags
casita